NHL.com performance issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: NHL.com performance issues

Nearly everytime I use my rogerscentre live to watch a game it appears very choppy or “laggy”. I’ve never really got used to it but also have never complained until now. Any advice so that I may watch the playoffs smoothly would be appreciated. Thank you
I've Been Around

Same issue as the one people complaining over 2 years ago I guess there is no fix for it glad I don’t pay for it

Hello, @Goleafsgo1 and @Bryan77

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thank you for posting your concerns in the Community. Any performance issues can be unpleasant. 

We can definitely troubleshoot the issue, please provide more details like type of Internet connection, devices, live games or replays etc. 

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

When I watch NHL Live hockey game on windows 7, 8.1 or 10 using a Chrome browser, I see the picture snap forward about 5 frames every 20 seconds or so. This has been happening for the last 3 years while watching NHL Live. Because we're paying for the service this year (due to NHL Live not being included in the Roger's Share Everything Plan for the 2018/2019 season), I studied up on the problem and did some testing for about 8 hours. I came to the conclusion (like some others have found) that the flash player for Chrome is the problem. Even though some posts say that Chrome on Windows is the best option, this was not true for me. I installed Firefox on Windows 7 and installed the latest Adobe Flash Player when asked to do so while navigating through https://nhllive.rogers.com. The picture was not snapping forward 5 frames every 20 seconds or so (problem solved). Chrome installs an adobe flash player 31 PPAPI whereas firefox installs an adobe flash player 31 NPAPI. The key is firefox installs NPAPI instead of PPAPI. NPAPI is less secure and that is why I believe Chrome does not support it but the picture snaps every 20 seconds or so. Seeing that Roger's is a trust worth entity I will risk using firefox and the NPAPI flash player while watching NHL Live because it is easier on the eyes and seems to work better for me.

The bottom line is that I was trying to use a different adobe flash player with a different API and by using firefox, it installed the NPAPI version instead of the PPAPI version. 

Hello, @gruc.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

I appreciate posting the issue you were experiencing and also thank you for posting the fix. It's certainly helpful to any member in the Community with the similar concern. 

I have always used Chrome on Windows 7 and Windows 10 and didn't experience the issue of skipping frames. It seems like it's not affecting all Chrome users; I'll certainly pass on your experience and fix to the support teams for the review. 

Thank you once again for your participation in the Community and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin 

I've Been Here Awhile

I appreciate the feedback. I like Chrome and would like to have NHL Live working smoothly on Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10. Two questions to others using Chrome and Windows 7, 8.1 or 10...

Does anyone else have a picture that skips frames (jerky) every 20 seconds or so? 

Does anyone else have a picture that does not skips frames (jerky) every 20 seconds or so? 

The feedback could be help to Roger's (and the Community) in seeing how many other people are affected (or not affected) by this possible problem.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I have this issue. Always have. Does it regardless of the resolution setting so it is not a bandwidth issue but a streaming issue. I have done thorough testing of many browsers. Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Fire Fox, Brave, and more and always updating and trying different versions of Flash. Always a consistent hiccup every 14-20 seconds. Just enough to loose immersion ya know.

Tested Win 7/10. And on at least three machines. Never been an issue of bandwidth just bad software.

I've Been Here Awhile

After leaving my previous post yesterday, I figured I would re-visit the issue. At the beginning of the 2018 hockey season, as every year, I test various browsers to see which is optimal. I had also upgraded internet speed. I still had the 10-20 second stutter as stated.

Today I decided to re-test. I am glad to report that the latest updated release of Firefox browser is not displaying any stutters! This is a first for me since the first season of Rogers NHL, when it was a comes and goes issue.

The games still randomly drop off, where the video freezes permanently and the time line erases. The only solution is to close the browser, reload the game and manually move the time-line forward to where you were. Refreshing the browser will cause the game to continue at some future point often spoiling the score ruining the game. But that is another issue LoL!

For now the stutter is fixed!

I've Been Here Awhile

funkydmunky glad to hear of your success with the stuttering screen.

As for the game drop off and freezing problems, I do not have that problem yet.

Thanks for the heads up. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I travel a lot with 2 Windows 10 laptops and my phone. Through all various networks I've connected to, the phone always streams well. Though I've never been able to get through a game on Chrome or Edge without freezes, switches of resolution, and/or the game randomly going back to the beginning of the feed.
I recently tried the SeaMonkey browser. It will stream a game trouble free for me. It eventually becomes unstable and needs to be restarted, but this is usually after 2 or 3 games. I'm very happy to now have this option.
Now I'm back home, having just watched a painfully choppy game on my Apple TV, with many freezes on my 150mbps connection. I'll be connecting my laptop with SeaMonkey next game.
As others have said, we don't have these issues with other streaming services. Why Roger's, why? These issues have been around for quite a while.