NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

One day before the season begins and still not cast enabled! Rogers????????????????

I Plan to Stick Around

@JohhnyRockets The NHL app on the U.S. itunes has been updated, but not on the Canadian iTunes. The U.S. itunes site shows that the new features (October 6, 2015 update) include Chromecast enablement.

U.S. iTunes -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nhl/id465092669?mt=8

It looks like you can't even search for the Canadian NHL App at the moment; perhaps they are updating? see your the link you posted earlier (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nhl/id465092669?mt=8). 

@hoboryan

I checked the iTunes store today and the app is listed there as Rogers NHL. It was updated on October 5, 2015 but it says nothing at all about Chromecast support. You are correct about the U.S. version shown on your link in that it states quite clearly that "We added Chromecast support!" Unfortunately this does us no good at all in Canada!  As for the Android app, Google play still shows the latest app as dated June 4, 2015. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@JohhnyRockets I downloaded the Rogers NHL app last night, was meaning to post an update. I think it is Chromecast enabled. I was able to connect to chromecast (there's an icon at the top right when you open the app). Also you can play the "videos" in the "video" section and then choose to cast to chromecast. So it looks good so far. I'm assuming the same capabilities work for the streaming of live games?

Ryan

@hoboryan

You are correct. The Rogers NHL app appears to be a completely new app (Version 1.0). We uninstalled the old app and then installed the new one and it is indeed cast enabled for Chromecast. Smiley Very Happy We also tried a video and it worked for us as well. I wonder if they will do the same for the Android app.

I've Been Around

The Android app seems to be version 5.1007.  It mentions Chromecast support but doesn't work.  If I get the NHL app (not the Rogers one) Chromecast works perfectly.  But can't watch live games past the trial period.  Anyone able to use Chromecast with the Rogers NHL app?

@senshockey

We had some issues last evening with not being able to cast either from my wife's iPad or my Android phone. The cast icon was just not there as it had been earlier in the day. Thinking it might have been an issue with our Chromecast device, I unplugged the device and then put it back in. Eventually it worked. We were able to cast using both the iPad and my phone with the Rogers NHL app. I do notice however that there is no cast icon when viewing from our PC (as there is with Shomi). Will Rogers be adding cast support for a PC?

Three weeks and still no reply. I am currently watching a game cast through the Rogers NHL app on our iPad. Through the app, CameCentre Live IS cast enabled. The picture is gorgeous. I thank Rogers for having this issue fixed. Out of curiosity, I decided to try the same game through our PC. There is no cast icon through the PC. I am able to cast the game through the Google Cast Extension. The picture is terrible. So my question still remains. When will NHL GameCentre Live be cast enabled through a PC? 

Any answers @RogersHassam or @RogersDarrell

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JohhnyRockets

We have had Chromecast support for Rogers GameCentre LIVE since season 1. This is because we didn't have to enable anything for Chromecast support to function on the Chrome browser. All you need to do is download the plug-in and then you can cast anything (including live Rogers GameCentre LIVE games) to your TV. The quality of the stream will adjust based on your internet quality/speed – so if you're having less than desireable picture quality, it may be directly related to your internet connection. Anything (~3000 kbps) should be pretty good.

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

We're not talking about streaming what's on our chrome browser to our TV's. That's a slow process that requires significant CPU processing.

We're talking about the casting of video to our TV's. For example, the Rogers NHL App casts directly from the chromecast device to our TV's; ie. the videos are loaded directly on the chromecast device. There is no laggyness compared to casting from the chrome browser.

If you go to youtube.com on your PC, there is the ability to cast any videos directly to your TV and not through a "mirroring" or "streaming" of what's in your browser (which is what you do with the Chromecast add-in to the Chrome browser).