NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

Hi,

Wasn't able to get any help with the chat. In Rogers' ads for NHL Game Centre Live 2015/16 season, Chromecast is indicated as one of the supported devices. Does this mean that when we are on the IOS or Android NHL app and load up a game we can cast it to our chromecast/tv setup?

The issue I ask is because the NHL app would need to be updated to support chromecast given that it is not currently on Google's list of chromecast supported apps: https://www.google.ca/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html#?view=featured

The current NHL app in IOS is only updated as of July 25, 2015 and it does not have Chromecast native support. Given that the NHL season is starting soon, can Rogers let us know how they intend to get NHL GCL working on Chromecast?

Regards,

Ryan

Solved! Go to Solution.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

Hi @hoboryan

The following steps for GameCentre LIVE and Chromecast listed in the 'How To' here should work for you.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

That's not true casting; that is just streaming of you chrome browser. True casting is accomplished through native Chromecast capability in the app itself. Here's Rogers' description: 

"Google Chromecast

NEW: Using your laptop, tablet or smartphone and your home Wi-Fi network, stream live games to your big screen with Google Chromecast and Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™. Sign in with your MyRogers account to get started."

Casting using the method you suggested is only accomplished through the laptop. I'm asking if I can cast using a smartphone/tablet.
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Rogers GameCentre LIVE app will be cast-enabled shortly before the season begins.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.

Do you know if it will be the NHL app or a new Rogers Gamecentre Live App?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@hoboryan and @RogersDarrell

I saw this thread a few hours ago and had the same questions as @hoboryan. Before replying I decided to try a few things out and do a little research. One question has been answered as well by @RogersDarrell in that the "Rogers GameCentre LIVE app will be cast-enabled shortly before the season begins". That is good to hear as everything pointed out by @hoboryan is correct. This really is the only way to have this work correctly using a smartphone or a tablet. It needs to be cast enabled in the same way that Shomi now is.

We were hoping to use our iPad to cast games to our Chromecast enabled TV. There is definitely no "cast screen" option on the iOS Chromecast app as posted by Amanda. I checked and we have the latest version of the app. Also, according to Google Chrome Help, "To cast from iOS, you need a supported app  to cast from." As of today, there is no such supported app available for Chromecast so once again it is good to hear that it is coming. The "cast screen" option does work from my Android phone (I was able to cast a highlight video from the NHL app) but it is indeed very cumbersome. We really do need this to become cast enabled and supported by Chromecast.

As for which app to download @hoboryan, I believe it is the new NHL app available on either Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nhl.gc1112.free&hl=en or at the app store: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nhl/id465092669?mt=8

We have downloaded both of these for our devices (iPad and Android phone) and after downloading, it states very clearly that the app is powered by Rogers. All you need to do is sign in with your Rogers user name and password and then wait until October 7 for the first game to be available. There are however other things like highlights and NHL news which can be viewed now. Hope this helps!

I Plan to Stick Around

@JohhnyRockets 

The NHL app on IOS was last updated in June 2015 at which point it didn't have chromecast enabled. We shall see if a new app update is released over the coming days. Otherwise there is no true support for chromecast with Rogers Gamecentre Live. 

@RogersDarrell Do you have any timelines on when the NHL app on itunes will be updated to reflect support for Chromecast?

Community Manager
Community Manager

At this time I can only advise that the Rogers GameCentre LIVE app will be cast-enabled shortly before the season begins.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have a link for the Rogers GameCentre LIVE app? I don't see it on iTunes.

I thought we were supposed to use the NHL app to use GameCentre Live (by logging in using our Rogers ID).

Ryan

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@hoboryan

You are correct in that unless the app is cast enabled, it is not truly supported by Chromecast. I have to trust that it will be cast enabled by the time the season starts. Here is the link I think you want:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nhl/id465092669?mt=8