NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

Android NHL app Chromecast button broken

I am having issues with my Rogers NHL live service/ Android NHL app in getting any archived games(Possibly live games too time will tell) to stream to my TV from my phone( Samsung S5)using my Chromecast Ultra all that happens is that the NHL logo pops up on the screen but the game doesnt pop up. I tried contacting Rogers support and as usual just like last years issues with blacked out games which never should have been blacked out they had no answers for me.

I know for a fact the issue isnt with my chromecast as I can stream using the Netflix and YouTube apps without issue as well as the LG TV app. However the Android NHL app Chromecast button is broken.

I just tried using my roomates phone seeing if I could stream archived games using his iPhone streaming to the chromecast using the IOS version of the NHL app and it worked without issue so this is purely an issue with the Android version of the app.

Anyone else having this issue and know of a fix? The NHL season is fast approaching and I have no desire to watch games on a 5 inch screen. Pay a lot of money for a service that has yet to run without hiccups since day 1.

I should note I am using Android Version 6.0.1 on a Samsung S5
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone?? This seriously looks bad on Rogers as people are paying $200 for this service ans should be able to watch as advertised via their Chromecast to their TV using the Android NHL apps casting abilities and not say having to buy a bloody iphone just so they can enjoy a service theyve already paid top dollar for.
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone?? I see this issue has been going on since Last season?? This is a mess and purely an issue with the Android NHL app and not the IOS version.

This must be fixed as Rogers is advertising functionality for something that simply isnt working. When i called in they tried to blame it on router settings saying I should try turning off " IGMP snooping" this is absolutely flawed logic because if this was the cause then why is it only the Android NHL app that doesnt cast properly yet netflix youtube etc all work fine.

And oh yeah if you have an iphone the IOS NHL app will stream to my TV via the chromecast perfectly and yeeah NOpe didn't have to adjust any router setttings to get it to work as it should.... problem is I don't own an iphone and I shouldn't be expected to buy a new phone when Rogers should be fixing their broken Android NHL app and pronto.

I'm Here A Lot

It seems to work well for me with Chromecast (2nd gen) and Android App. At least with yesterday's VAN/LA archive game. Got a few connection problems at start of season last year but everything is working well since..

Quick tip: if stuck on "Ready to Cast" screen, restart everything and be sure to start/enable chromecast app (get til "ready to cast") before clicking the game you want to watch.. might help sometime..
I Plan to Stick Around

What type of phone are you using to cast to your Chromecast?? Im using am S5 on android 6.0.1 and all that happens is the NHL logo pops up on my screen and it says Ready To Cast but the game will not start from the archives....yet using my room mates ios NHL app on his phone it will cast no problem
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Nexus 6P on Android 7.1 (don't think it changes anything)

Quick tip: if stuck on "Ready to Cast" screen, disconnect/restart everything and be sure to start chromecast app (get til "ready to cast") before clicking the game you want to watch.. might help sometime..
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok weird literally just now I tried again hitting the cast button inside of the NHL app and then the same thing happened with the NHL logo popping up but the game not loading then i hit the cast button a second time and all of a sudden it worked....thank god.
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so now that I can actually get games working on my Chromecast via the android NHL app I am being annoyed by tge fact the games are running really choppy and lose streaming quality often throughout the games.

This makes no sense as I have Shaw 150 internet getting over 100mbps download speeds and 25mbps upload and my Chromecast Ultra is hardwired via an Ethernet cable to the router.

This is not a bandwidth or issue with my chromecast as I can stream 4K HDR content/ Dolby Vision content and the content runs perfectly and obviously would use far more bandwidth and is of far higher fidelity.

I was having similar issues last season although back then I didn't have nearly as good a interner but obviously thats not even the issue here what gives??

If I simply just watch it on my phone it runs at full quality and does not lag this again appears to be a Rogers NHL Live compatability issue with Chromecast and not allowing it to run at full spec.

Please Rogers please get your product working properly.

Again I repeat I am only ever uaving issues with chromecast streaming with your guys service. Youtube Netflix Amazon Prime all run flawlessly and in 4K HDR. Your service cant even run at 1080p/720p smoothly.

Any suggestions??

Hi @Dabrit,

Thanks for reaching out.  It sounds like you're as pumped as I am for the season to start! First Leafs pre-season tonight. Can't wait!

I completely understand the need for smooth, high-quality streams, especially with hockey. I haven't had a chance to cast from the NHL app so far this year, but I did a handful of times last season from my Galaxy S7 with no real quality issues.  I'll definitely be trying again as soon as I can, and will post back with my own results. 

Has anyone else in the Community noticed any quality issues with Chromecast recently?

Go Leafs Go!

RogersShaun

I'm a Senior Contributor

I have always noticed quality issues with Chromecast. It is hit and miss. For me the picture quality can be anything from "far exceeding anything on rogers cable" to constant buffering and a picture quality so poor that you just want to quit watching. 

As for Chromecast, I tried all of my devices this evening to see how things were working. After all, it is just exhibition games right now. First, I tried my laptop. When I tried to cast to Chromecast, all I got was the message "Ready to Cast" on my TV but no game. I was about ready to reset my Chromecast device but then decided to try the app on my wife's iPad. There were no problems whatsoever - perfect cast and a perfect picture. Next, I tried my Android phone. When clicking on a game I tried to click the 'watch' icon - nothing happened. I then discovered another icon that did allow me to watch the game. The picture quality when casting from my phone was a little shaky - ranging from great to some pauses - almost as though the video was stuttering. Every test this evening was the Chicago/Columbus game as many other games were not available. 

My conclusion: I would not pay for NHL Gamecentre Live. It is included free with my package, but seriously, it needs a lot of work. Hopefully, the kinks can be worked out before the regular season starts. Based on last season though, I am not hopeful. The whole NHL Gamecentre Live thing worked much better a few years ago when we could subscribe directly through the NHL site. Ever since rogers took over, the whole experience has been one frustration after another.