Been like this for at least a month. And this is just the "Account Overview" page. "Billing & Payment", "Services" and "Profile & Settings" pages are all messed up too. The entire site is broken.
Chrome Version 50.0.2661.87 m (up to date)
Works fine on Firefox.
Solved! Solved! Go to Solution.
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!
Thank you for the post as well as the image. I have tested my personal account in Chrome to rule out a site wide issue and I was able to see all the account details and all the tabs. Have you done any troubleshooting yet? Perhaps deleting temporary files and cookies might help.
Anybody else in the Community experiencing similar issues in Chrome?
I just cleared cookies and other site and plugin data and cache images and files, and the problem still exists.
But it's weird, I just tried in Incognito mode, and it loaded fine.
So I've narrowed down the issue to being my extensions/plug-ins.
Edit: Found the issue. My ad blocker was butchering the site.
For the sake of completion, my adblocker blocking the tracker "Adobe TagManager" (Beacons, Tag Manager) with the tracker source URL of https://assets.adobedtm.com/4cd33eacdc282f4118e1aa4a71d443a0f18d28ba/satelliteLib-0a2a8ad216e0bf155d... was causing the issue.
I don't know why disabling this particular tracker breaks the site, but it does.
This is exactly the problem I have been having all along. Even the page looks just like the one I have been getting.
It's been such a pain in the butt.
The only difference is that I use FireFox instead of Chrome. But everything else is the same.