cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-factor authentication

sierra1989
I plan to stick around

rogers cell phone SMS Multi-factor authentication not working. It is turned on in MY Rogers account  but I never receive a SMS code when logging in ?

***EDITED LABELS***

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Multi-factor authentication

RogersYasmine

Greetings @sierra1989 !

Thanks for being a part of our Forums and we appreciate your post! 🙂

The way that the multi-factor authentication works is that once you have enabled it, you will be prompted to enter a one-time passcode (via text message or email, depending on your profile settings) if you attempt to sign in on a different web browser or device. You won't get the prompt every time you sign in on your regular device. 

I hope this helps!

RogersYasmine

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

I'm not sure haw this is going to work.  I don't have a cell phone but the he only way into the Rogers site just now  was to click enable.  Rogers sent an email saying I may be sent a verification number by  my preferred  contact method.  Since I can't receive SMS messages as far as I know that would have to be by email  my email. Is that correct?

@jays77 when you log into your account have a look at the contact details to see if there's an old cell phone number listed.  If so, its possible that the number is no longer in use by yourself.  And.... if it is there, you probably can't change it.

jays77

Thanks .  Sending the code to my email would work for me.  

jays77

Thanks for your reply.  There would be no old cell phone or cell number hanging around.                    
🤔    Maybe someday I’ll move into this century or maybe not. 

senordd
I plan to stick around

I'm disappointed that they put a recommendation that you turn it on right on their home page, yet it doesn't even work properly. For two days, I kept trying to get them to send me an SMS verification code and never got one. After 3 times, it locks the account for half an hour. I thought I was locked out of my account for good and needed to call Customer Service. Thankfully I have one verified computer that doesn't ask for it and I was able to turn it off. The email version works though so I guess I'll go with that.

sierra1989
I plan to stick around

no old cell number i only have one

@RogersYasmine wrote:

The way that the multi-factor authentication works is that once you have enabled it, you will be prompted to enter a one-time passcode (via text message or email, depending on your profile settings) if you attempt to sign in on a different web browser or device. You won't get the prompt every time you sign in on your regular device. 

For me, it depends on which browser I use.  When using Brave or other browsers that try to thwart fingerprinting, 2FA kicks in every time I try to sign on.

sierra1989
I plan to stick around

i only use one laptop for my rogers  account.  my problem is why do Rogers offer something that dosen't even work  ???   typical.....

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sierra1989 wrote:

i only use one laptop for my rogers  account.  my problem is why do Rogers offer something that dosen't even work  ???   typical.....

Aside from my last comment, I have not had any issues since Rogers added 2FA.  SMS works fine for me.  Rogers could have also implemented it in such a way that required a challenge on every login.

Would be nice to see them add support for Passkeys and FIDO2 keys.

sierra1989
I plan to stick around

my 2 factor authentication is enabled but never get SMS code sent . But I can still access MyRogers account . SMS works fine for other accounts email . etc.   …..

Are we your cell phone provider @sierra1989 or are you with one of our competitors?

Have you tried changing your preferred authentication method to email instead of SMS?

Regards,

RogersCorey

peterkrug
I've been here awhile

That's what I've been seeing for the past two days. Simple test - login to your Rogers MyRogers account. Go to "Settings" -> "My Rogers Profile".  Click "Update recovery number". Enter your existing recovery cell phone number in the "Mobile Number" box. Click "Continue". Click "Confirm" in the next screen. A confirmation code is never sent to your mobile number by SMS..  Same will happen (that is - no SMS sent) if you ask for a confirmation code in the MyRogers password recovery process. Work around - use the send confirmation code to your email address.

peterkrug
I've been here awhile

That's exactly what I've been seeing for the past two days. Simple test - login to your Rogers MyRogers account. Go to "Settings" -> "My Rogers Profile".  Click "Update recovery number". Enter your existing recovery cell phone number in the "Mobile Number" box. Click "Continue". Click "Confirm" in the next screen. A confirmation code is never sent to your mobile number by SMS..  Same will happen (that is - no SMS sent) if you ask for a confirmation code in the MyRogers password recovery process. I found clicking three requests for a verification code after not receiving one in 60 seconds locked out my account for 30 minutes. 

Work around - use the send confirmation code to your email address.

Does Rogers MFA allow for selecting a cell phone from a list of cell phones for the sms text

Greetings @seebeel!

We allow for a single mobile number and an email address to be setup as your recovery options. 

You can find out more here: Sign in securely with multi-factor authentication - Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

djdjdh1
I've been around

Can i turn the MFA off so it stop automatically turning on every time we log in?

Good day @djdjdh1 ,

Thanks for joining in on the conversation and great question! 🙂

Please note that all MFA-enabled accounts must enable MFA on at least 1 authentication method, either email or phone number. However, we recommend enabling MFA on  both phone number and email  for the best experience. This way, if you run into any issues with the phone or email authentication, you'll have an alternate option to access your profile. 

I hope this answers your question!

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

dougjp
I plan to stick around

How do I change MFA from SMS to e-mail or an automated phone call with a code (alternatives everybody else like banks, insurance companies, PayPal, governments etc. provide) in my Rogersmembercentre.com sign in for Rogers e-mail? Like 10% =or - of the population, I don't have a cel for SMS (my wife does), but I do pay for Rogers Ignite with internet, TV AND Home Phone.

Rogers makes a written commitment to provide an alternative (see the second last FAQ here) but fails to provide same:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/mfa-for-rogers-yahoo-email#i-don-t-have-a-mobile-number-to-u...

First, they committed to " we’ll let you know how to set up a different verification method " which they didn't do, then in multiple phone calls to get something set up, Rogers had nothing. I had promises to call back to set this up, never happened. Breaking a written promise, especially when everybody else out there is able to provide alternatives, is prime meat for people like Star Probe, and I'm sure even the Ombudsman will be curious.

If I want to get access to my e-mails on a different computer, laptop for use in a different room or while traveling, or 'webmail' while traveling on some other computer, how do I do this?

I'm getting nowhere and my ignite package expires in 1 1/2 months, with Bell knocking on my door as they have installed Fibe to my house. I can't believe I have to go to the Ombudsman after wasting several hours of infuriating phone calls already, but out of desperation, I find myself here. Surely its easier for Rogers to comply with its promises than all other entities who can provide alternatives?

(post merged to existing thread by moderator)

New customer, I can log into my account and it tells me to verify my wireless number.  My cell phone number is correct but I am not receiving a text message to complete the process.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 in conversation