cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IgniteTV for android not streaming

aube
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I rencently purchased a Xiaomi pad 5 pro wifi tablet (Android 12 and MIUI 13.1.4) and installed IgniteTV on it.  When it starts, it goes to the main screen and then I choose a channel from the guide and get this error "We've got a location issue. Unfortunately, we can't play this video within this country.".  If I try with Edge or Chrome browsers for android and go to https://ignitetv.rogers.com , I get this message " This Video Cannot Be Played. We've run into a problem while streaming XXXXXXXXXXX. (Error player.-9002.14002). The Google Play Store is set to Canada in the settings and all settings for location are turned on.  I tried clearing Cache in the browsers and also in the Google Play Store app and still no luck. I uninstalled the IgniteTV app several times and still get the same.  Something I noticed,after a fresh install of the app, sometimes I will get a channel that will start to play but as soon as I switch to another one, I start getting the same error message again.  I even tried a factory reset of my tablet and still no luck. Almost forgot, all this is happening in my own home on my own wifi network.

This problem as been bugging me for a while and I would really like some idea how to fix it. Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: IgniteTV for android not streaming

aube
I plan to stick around

Finally found my problem. There's a setting called WLAN assistant in Wi-fi settings, so I turned on Traffic Mode then chose Fast Connection and my IgniteTv app finally started to work. I thank you all  very much for all your help you've been very helpful.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aube  Do you have a VPN service installed, that makes it look like your Android tablet is located outside of Canada?

aube
I plan to stick around

No, I don't use a VPN on my tablet.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
Any chrome extensions turned on that allow you to stream from foreign services? Ignite certainly thinks you are a foreign spy for some reason. 🚨🇺🇸🇬🇧🇩🇪🇮🇹

mebe

Or have you tried using incognito with the chrome browser, so that no extensions, etc., are used?

aube
I plan to stick around

Not that I know of.  I forgot to mention that I have a Xiaomi Mi9 Lite phone, a Sansung Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy Tab S7 and IgniteTv works on all of them.

aube
I plan to stick around

With incognito, I get the same results,

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aube  Using your tablet's web browser, if you go to https://ipv6-test.com , does the test site identify your ISP as Rogers Communications Canada?

aube
I plan to stick around

Just did the ipv6 test and it shows Rogers Communications Canada Inc for both IPv4 and IPv6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aube wrote:

Hi,

1. I recently purchased a Xiaomi pad 5 pro wifi tablet (Android 12 and MIUI 13.1.4)

2. "We've got a location issue. Unfortunately, we can't play this video within this country.". 

1. Although most devices are compatible, some may not be due to hardware or OS. See:

https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/ignite-tv-app-and-browser-requirements

2. For some reason, Rogers seems to think you're not in the country, because the error message you're getting is exactly what I see when travelling outside Canada.  IgniteTV will not work outside Canada.

The fact that your other devices work, means the issue is specific to this device.  I'm not quite sure what to suggest, other than to ensure you simplify everything as much as possible - no browser extensions, clean browser, desktop mode, etc.

The following link may provide some guidance...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Tips-for-Rogers-Websites-amp-Apps/m-p/491...

aube
I plan to stick around

I will check that out.  By the way, thank uou for the assist, I really appreciated it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aube wrote:

Just did the ipv6 test and it shows Rogers Communications Canada Inc for both IPv4 and IPv6.

This is just a guess but Rogers may have recently acquired more IP address space.  Although the BGP routing tables show that it is associated with a Rogers ASN, it is possible that Comcast's back-end servers are using an IP geolocation service that still thinks your IP address belongs to an ISP outside of Canada.

mebe
Perhaps try a different browser making sure that no included VPN capability is turned on.
Somebody using your tablet found that the Opera or Chrome Beta browsers worked for most things right away, but regular Chrome needed an update to get it to work with some of the things he was using. I doubt that it will make a difference since you already tried Incognito mode, but it is interesting that you can sometimes get an Ignite channel to play until you change the channel. I guess it sometimes takes Ignite a bit longer to realize that your tablet is working for China, or some other Canadian adversary. 🗽

aube
I plan to stick around

I've tried with Chrome Beta in incognito mode and get this error instead "This Video Cannot Be Played. We've run into a problem while streaming XXXXXX. (Error TVAPP-00277)". Opera was the same as the other browsers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G-  If it were an IP issue, wouldn't that affect the other devices mentioned in post 6 of this thread, assuming they're connected to the same WiFi.

@aube makes sure the time on the device is correct, per my link of tips.

aube
I plan to stick around

The time iset to Atlantic Standard time GMT-04:00 Halifax Canada.

mebe
Oh yes, the time issue used to baffle me when I first started streaming from clever foreign sites.🕛🕥

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aube wrote:

,,,Error TVAPP-00277)"

I did a web search for this error and got various results including the following, which seems to indicate that Xfinity/Ignite doesn't "like" your device/browser:  The error in post one yielded similar search results - device or setup issues with Xfinity...

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-stream-app/error-tvapp00477/602db025c5375f08cd23fd8...

I always use the App on my iPad and Chrome on my Mac Mini computer...  Haven't tried a browser on my iPad because the app works fine for me.

aube
I plan to stick around

I should mention that Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video are not affected by this issue, I've got memberships for all 3 and they all play in full HD without any problems.

mebe

Somebody using the Brave browser with Xfinity also got the 00277 code for a week, and then it suddenly started working with the Brave default settings.
Somebody on the Shaw website claims that the 00277 error code refers to a Microsoft Edge DRM (Digital Rights Management) web browser issue. There's an embedded Windows 10 version with a blue "e" icon, and a 2020 blue snail shell icon version. The theory is that perhaps Microsoft has unfortunately cached a DRM issue within, and thus if you select "Reset all settings" within Edge, that might somehow help (at least with that browser)?
Be Brave and boldly walk along the Edge of a cliff, but if you fall off, blame Canada.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G-  If it were an IP issue, wouldn't that affect the other devices mentioned in post 6 of this thread, assuming they're connected to the same WiFi.

I missed reading that post.  Yes, I would expect so, especially since those are all Android devices.

However, now that I think about it, the Ignite TV mobile app will also try to do geolocation locally.  Could the Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro be using something other than Google for its Wi-Fi-based location services, something different than those other Android devices, a service that has not adequately mapped the Wi-Fi BSSIDs in @aube 's local area and returning garbage results?

... although that does not explain why the other apps work just fine.

@aube When you go to sites like https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home.html or https://www.costco.ca , do you get located correctly with Location Services enabled, or differently that on your other Android devices?

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 in conversation