Ignite WiFi Hub - Scheduled downtime not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Ignite WiFi Hub - Scheduled downtime not working

I have downtime scheduled on my kids iPhone and iPad and it’s not working... even though my ignite app says the downtime is schedule; I continue to see my kids able to access the internet on their tablets. It worked when I first set it up for a day or two and hasn’t worked since even when I try to reset the downtime.

*Added Labels*

Highlighted

Re: Ignite WiFi Hub - Scheduled downtime not working

Hello, @Andy1977.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Is the Downtime Schedule not working with only one profile? I appreciate you trying to reset the downtime; it's good troubleshooting. 

Have you tried the Pause Device option? For testing purposes, from the Devices menu, select the device and select Pause Device. 

If the device doesn't pause (it may take some time to pause an active session), please reboot the modem. 

Let us know the outcome. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Around

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @Pasco Connect

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Is the Downtime Schedule not working with only one profile? I appreciate you trying to reset the downtime; it's good troubleshooting. 

Have you tried the Pause Device option? For testing purposes, from the Devices menu, select the device and select Pause Device. 

If the device doesn't pause (it may take some time to pause an active session), please reboot the modem. 

Let us know the outcome. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Thanks for sharing useful post here.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Andy1977 note that IOS 14 apparently introduced randomized MAC addresses.  I believe that the device is supposed to use the same MAC "individual" address for each Wifi network it encounters.  So, you would see a different MAC address for every network that the device connects to, but for each individual network, the same MAC address would be used.  

So, I suspect that it possible that users could simply "forget" the network that the device is connected to and reconnect it.  That might result in a new MAC address which hasn't been seen by the modem, which would be an end run around any profile assignments and assigned times.  

Don't know for sure, just speculation at this point but I can see this happening with IOS 14 which has just been released. 

I believe that most routers have a MAC Address filtering capability, whereby you enter the MAC addresses that are used on your wifi network.  If any device with an MAC Address that isn't listed attempts to connect to the network, the router is supposed to reject that connection attempt.  I don't know if the XB6 modem has a MAC filtering capabilty.  If so, it might be time to use it.  That would require users to use the same MAC address in their device and not to "forget" the existing network.  Simple rule, "Change MAC address, no internet access".

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My Pixel phone has randomized MAC addresses but the Ignite modem always sees it as the same device.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I am having the same problem with my kids devices as well. I have scheduled downtime from 8:30 pm until 3 pm the next day, and yet every morning they are able to access the WiFi/Internet. Devices all show as paused, yet there is still active time listed.
I have tried resetting the downtime schedule and rebooting the modem but still have these issues. When I manually pause their devices it will disable wifi, but downtime doesn't seem to function properly. Very frustrating.
Highlighted

Hi  @sparky853,

Thank you for your post.

I can certainly understand how upsetting this can be, It'll be our pleasure to look into this with you. 

In order to do so, we will need to confirm some information with you.  

- What devices are you trying to use downtime with and what OS version is currently installed? 

- What version of the Ignite Wi-Fi hub are you using? 

- Are you able to successfully use downtime with other devices? 

Awaiting your reply. 

CommunityHelps

RogersRob