Ignite TV Windows 10/Edge (Dev) App

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Ignite TV Windows 10/Edge (Dev) App

This App requires Adobe Flash when using Windows 10 Pro and Edge (Developers Beta).  Microsoft has indicated Flash will not be supported after December 2020 by any of it's browsers.  Will Rogers be addressing this problem (and please don't point me to Chrome, just answer the question).

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Ignite TV Windows 10/Edge (Dev) App

@Philip144 wrote:

This App requires Adobe Flash when using Windows 10 Pro and Edge (Developers Beta).  Microsoft has indicated Flash will not be supported after December 2020 by any of it's browsers.  Will Rogers be addressing this problem (and please don't point me to Chrome, just answer the question).

@Philip144   This is an extremely important question to be asked, as experience has shown in the past, that Rogers has not always been timely in responding to deprecated apps.

Yes, you are correct, Rogers, along with every company that uses Adobe Flash in their apps, is going to have to find another solution, as the decision to take it out of service is by Adobe, and all Browser developers have agreed, as it should have been phased out a few years back, as it has been created headaches for a number of years, and there has been lots of talk about removing access to it in all browsers if Adobe didn't deprecate (discontinue it) on their own.

They won't be able to send you to Chrome or Firefox as an alternative to Edge - if you were to open up Chrome today with a request for Flash on the web page, you will see a notice pop up at the top stating,

" Flash Player will no longer be supported after 2020"  Deprication date is December 31, 2020.

So I hope they are proactive on this one - there is still a little over 16 months for them to get this done - not a lot of time really in the development world, but I am sure there are good solid experts working on a best practice to do this, so they just have to do the work.

See the following links. https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/07/25/flash-on-windows-timeline/

This is the Windows notice

Chrome notice is hear:  https://9to5google.com/2019/03/22/chrome-warn-flash-player-deprecation-july/

Another article, talking about the security risks of not stopping its use and its current security issues.

https://www.focuseduvation.com/flash-html5-end-life-flash-will-mean/

there are workarounds of installing older versions of browsers that still run Adobe if a company doesn't make the change, but why would anyone take the security risks is beyond me.

So my hope is that Rogers will get it done on time.  they may be completely get it switched over, but never tell us anything, but still feel free to ask as time goes by.  It is a legitimate concern, and depends upon how much you trust that Rogers will get it right and done on time, with a seamless change over for the consumer, as it should be.

Thw switch is to HTML 5 by the way, a switch that should have been fully completed a long time ago, and you will still find old HTML found on Rogers pages, such as old bills - that will wash out in a few months, as you can only go 18 months, and data usage charts, that last I saw was still in older HTML, but I can't comment as I don't have home Internet services with Rogers anymore.

Hope this provides some level of comfort, but understand if it may concern some - if does keep asking, and escalate if you are not satisfied with silence or talk directly to community helps and within tech support, and manager, or OOP. It is up to each person on how comfortable they are with the unkonwn.

Bruce