GCL Casting Error 3 - This media is temporarily unavailable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

GCL Casting Error 3 - This media is temporarily unavailable

Starting a new thread as the previous topic was marked as resolved (which it is not).

See: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/RogersGCL/thread-id/530/page/5

Configuration:

Rogers CGN3 modem (bridged), TP-Link Archer C7 (f/w C7_V2_150427), iOS (although I have tried my Anroid devices with the same result), Chromecast Gen 2 (f/w 1.20)

Troubleshooting:

Reinstalled GCL application

Rebooted all casting devices

Rebooted chromecast (hard and soft reboots)

Factory reset chromecast

Rebooted router

Factory reset router

Tried casting on both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, same result

All other cast enabled applications work flawlessly.  Just GCL has this problem

Archived GCL content (highlights, etc..) seem to cast fine, problem seems to be isolted to LIVE content.

Called Rogers Help Desk, no help

Called Chromecast Help Desk, no help

... there are probably more things that I've tried over the last several weeks of troubleshooting.  I had this issue infequently last season, it started become more problematic during the world cup.  The casting function of the GCL application is now completely unusable.

Please help!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: GCL Casting Error 3 - This media is temporarily unavailable

Not saying that its a good thing.. nor do a agree that it should be that way.

But, i am wondering, if it may be 'by function' 😞

Hockey specifically, seems to have a huge thing about blackouts... that local teams etc will have blackouts for live stuff if your in the region where there is another provider who has the live broadcast rights.

I wonder, if thats whats going on here..
Yes.. could watch live on the device itself.. its letting you there, no blackout.
But to CAST it... makes it too easy to SHARE it.  You could bring it to a.. bar lets say, who allows you to cast it there.  The bar hasnt paid for the right to view/share it at that location by paying for the channel/service themselves.

Again, i am not saying i AGREE with it..  obviously that it not what you are trying to do... but it may be blocked, fo the potential?

I've Been Here Awhile

Blackout games are still blackout games regardless of if we are watching it on the phone, laptop , or trying to cast it to Chromecast. I still get the blackout notification regardless of which way I try to watch the game, I'm in Ottawa so I am well aware of which Sens, Leafs, and Habs games will be blacked out. This is not the issue.

Out of a dozen out of market games that where potentially available to watch on my android phone or laptop, all of them worked except for the Leaf game that was blacked out as it was playing locally on TSN.

I tried to cast all of those games to Chromecast from my phone and the GCL app , Leafs blackout in effect, I got 2 streams to work without error. Philly game and the Colorado game , same as a poster in the resolved thread. I tried multiple times , same errors , I also did all the trobleshooting steps the original poster of this thread did.

I can cast all the games from my laptop from google chrome with the chromecast plug-in to Chromecast. The quality of the picture on my big screen tv was good not great. The quality of the picture when I previously cast from phone to my chromecast was much better. The 2 games I could cast from my phone to chromecast that worked last night were not HD. 

This leads me to believe the HD hockey games from the GCL app are not working with the Chromecast device...maybe there is a setting that changed within the app or maybe the Chromecast device just can't handle the amount of data it is being sent.   

I'm Here A Lot

If that were the case, why offer the extenstion at all?  Moreover, you can pretty much mirror ANY mobile content using an Android phone these days.

To be clear, I am not trying to cast blacked out local content.  Error 3 occurs on EVERY live game no matter the location.  The GCL content plays fine in the GCL app, it's only when you cast the content that you receive Error 3.

This is clearly a technical issue with GCL's Chromecast extension.

I'm Here A Lot

stro0021 wrote:

This leads me to believe the HD hockey games from the GCL app are not working with the Chromecast device...maybe there is a setting that changed within the app or maybe the Chromecast device just can't handle the amount of data it is being sent.  

The only (HD) quality setting that I could locate within the GCL app pertained to HD content while on WiFi vs Always vs Never.  I've tried all the settings, it didn't make a difference.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its just wierd that SOME content works.. so its not that the app as a whole, is not compliant to work..

Again, somehow just makes me thing, how/why are just the live freeds.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm trying to watch the PIT vs FLA game on my TV using Chromecast and I get the Error 3 / "Media is temporarily unavailable" message...

Please Rogers, fix the problem!

I'm Here A Lot

Same problem here, since beginning of the season, no way to make it works with Chromecast (Error 3).. Got to go on my PS4 but streaming quality is very low at some time.. but at least, its working.. You can be sure that next year, my money will go to Bell.. At least with Center Ice on Fibe, it always works and its in HD..
I'm Here A Lot

Update

Last Thursday I spent the better part of 40 minutes in a chat session with a Rogers support agent.  Not a technical person by any means, however he was empathetic once I linked him to this discussion and others on this board.  To his credit, he read each thread and came back to our chat session with a, "wow, you have tried everything.  I had no idea we have this problem.  I think it's serious".  He agreed that it doesn't appear to be an issue with my personal components, nor the chromecast itself.  Unlike the previous help agent who immediately discounted my problem as a "chromecast issue", this chat agent went through the process of opening case file and provided me a follow up reference number.

My team played on Saturday and I thought I'd give GCL/Casting a shot.  I casted to my Chromecast from my iOS device and can you believe it, it worked!  Not perfectly mind you, I did receive the occasional "error 3" throughout the broadcast, however unlike my previous attempts, I was able to simply disconnect and re-cast the broadcast.  I probably had to do this 3-4 times through the 2.5hr game. I thought to temp fate and try casting the another game the next day, again it worked with the occasional "error 3", disconnect/reconnect procedure.  Same for games on Monday and Tuesday.

So. personally, I am better off now than I was 6 days ago but it's still not working perfectly.  To Rogers credit, I actually got a call from their (2nd level?) Tech support.  They claimed to have checked my connection in someway and cannot find where the problem might be.  They mentioned "entitlements" and said that I have everything "checked".  I mentioned to the tech that I've had some recent successes which they quickly accepted as a victory, LOL!  In anycase, I have my case file reference number which I will continue to refer too each time I report the issue.  I would encourage everyone having the same problems to do the same.

Good Luck!

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Craig999

My last experience is quite similar to yours, except I was casting with my android phone. I got through 2 periods and then midway through the 3rd period, the error 3 popped up. I disconnected and then reconnected and got through the rest of the game without any issues. I have not used GCL since last Friday as the only games I wanted to watch were on Sportsnet or HNIC. The next time, we will try my wife's iPad and see how that works out. Bottom line though is that fixing this should be a priority with rogers and we should not have to be told over and over again to have patience.