Blackouts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Blackouts

Every game I go to in GameCenter is blacked out. All games no matter what teams. I am using the Roku App, but problem also happens with Android.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @rrobinson and @David11,

Welcome to the Community! 

If you are still experiencing this issue, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with all details regarding your issue: username, the platform you are using (mobile, web etc.), Android or iOS and app build version. We can look into this for you. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I've Been Around

I think I'm having the same problem as some other posters. Gamecenter on my laptop tells me every game is blacked out, but I can watch them on my tablet. How do I resolve the laptop issue?

I've Been Around

Since 2016 rolled around, 9 out of 10 Oilers games are subject to blackout restrictions. This is a complete and utter joke.
Why would anyone ever pay for this service to get only a VERY small portion of the total games for their home team.
EXTREMELY disappointed that in this day and age, blackouts still exist. I thought that Rogers bought the rights to NHL games for several billion dollars. ??
This is a COMPLETELY useless product. Huge rip off. A total JOKE. Embarrassing Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

GCL is not for local games. GCL is for out if market games.

No sports package allows for local games. They are available on your local TV channels. Only national games are on GCL.
I Plan to Stick Around

I keep meaning to post a general FAQ based on my own experiences, certainly something that the PTB should have done.

Coles Notes version:

There are essentially only two types of problems connecting with GCL, unfortunately, most often the problems have little to do with Rogers though sometimes they can actually help. Of course, some reps are much more knowledgeable than others. And worse, there can be overlap between the two types of issues.

1.  Issues connecting with GCL. This includes whether you use proxies (ie for Netflix, etc), routers, browsers, computer vs ipad vs phone etc. Years ago I worked on various VOIP/video devices, including Ooma, essentially what happens is that when devices try to connect to a server through the internet (NAT translation) the IP address can change several times and this confusion can cause problems. Rogers can help wth this.

2. GCL problems. Very frustrating, not the fault of the Rogers tech staff but management. Unfortunately, this is usually the issue, especially since the rollout of the new software. As a result, Rogers is stuck trying to address problems with software it has NO relationship with. They can't talk to developers, report bugs, work on solutions ... thisi is something that needs to be addressed at higher management levels. Rogers can't help you. Hopefully, somebody important at Rogers is talking to their peers at the NHL to address this. You need to be absolutely clear first, however, that based upon regional rights you are entitled to view certain games. This includes defined home team regions  as well as broadcaster regional viewing rights. If you are entitled, don't back down but keep insisting on explanations from tech support (tier 2+) .

Unfortunately, the technical issues are beyond many of the reps - I've learnt to keep transcripts. Do your research, a large part of the issues are with rights holders in specific markets (ie Bell, etc) and new buggy software that Rogers has no control over. If you are relatively close to a market -defined issue, Rogers tech support may be able to use work-arounds with your IP address to get past software bugs - as in my case.  

Though now with the new software update, I can only view games on my computer rather than my TV - I'm not happy but at least it's better than nothing. Rogers tech support needs to be able to talk with NHL tech support to really fix things.

I Plan to Stick Around

I do not have any cable or wires tv. My local tv are the 4 HD local broadcast TV channels and the home games are NOT broadcast in Ottawa on those channels. CBC will show sat games for the sens but global and ctv or the other one do not broadcast them.
I stream all games and stream all tv needs. GCL games black out the Montreal games and the Ottawa games.
I live west of Ottawa in Kanata mile or two from where the sens play.
WHY are the Habs games blacked out in Ottawa on GCL
these games are NOT broadcast on local TV in Ottawa.
Free or not I think I am going to change internet providers, use an ip masking program and buy GCL from the states for half the price it sold for in Canada , set my address as timbuktwo and watch 100% of the GCL games. That's what I did last year.
GCL for a Canadian address sucks !!
I Plan to Stick Around

Not having a TV provider is not Rogers fault.

You don't have to change ISPs to use a VPN program.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have just sent a message to 'CommunityHelps' containing most of the information in my previous posts.

It definitely seems to me that this is a problem with the 'upgraded' system being unable to correctly identify a host's location, and hence, inappropriately blacking out games that it should not be.

That's a pretty darn major bug to be missed during the testing cycle, but even allowing that 'poop happens', the fact that it hasn't been addressed since the update is unacceptable.

It would be nice to know what action is being taken by the developers on this, and when a 'fix' can be expected.  (Or even instructions for a workaround that would work - I'm quite willing to tweak browser settings as needed to get my hockey 'fix'.)

I've Been Around

So ever since this update i have had nothing but problems, withh all the games blacked out, I'm a Bruins fan and use this to watch there games so i'm defantly not in there viewing area. Both my xbox and Roku do this , my adroid phone works fine.

So the other night i decided to do some trouble shooting of my own and found if i connected my xbox or Roku directly to my internet modem everything works fine i can watch all the games, if i plug my xbox or roku into my router all games are blacked out.

So ok maybe something wrong with my router. I buy a new router linksys, i set it up with just basic setup, internet and DHCP that is all. and guess what samething all games are blacked out...

i plug xbox and roku directly to the modem again and bingo all the games work. Why does plugging into the router make all they games blacked out, time zone is set up properly on the router and it has the current time...

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99