cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackouts

mknycto
I've been here awhile
I am in Toronto. Are there any games blacked out for me other than some Leaf games? For instance if there are games that do not involve the leafs but are available on TVA sports (a channel that I do not subscribe to but is available). Are those considered "in market"?
153 REPLIES 153

Re: Blackouts

DSgamby
I plan to stick around

That is because you are located in the USA.  You need a VPN program like Betternet.

milsomgreg
I've been here awhile

thanks for your input....but my point is that I can and have watched many games down here this season so what has changed that makes it different in the playoffs?

DSgamby
I plan to stick around

Were there any NBC or NBCSN ganes blacked out during the season?

If yes mthat is probably why as all playoff games in the US are on the NBC networks.  

The US GCL blacked out rules haven't changed since you are in the US.  You have to follow the US rules.

milsomgreg
I've been here awhile

I dont have an answer for that . There were some games that were blacked out but if they were on nbc I would have seen them.

In any case Rogers should not assume that ALL their customers are in only Canada when they state that no playoff games are blacked out. They should say there are no blackouts IF you are in Canada.

Also the number of games blacked out down here during the season were relatively few wheras every game in the playoffs seems to be. So if it has something to do with US or NBC rights then SAY SO upfront.

Also agreed that there are other ways to see the game....just wish I didnt have too! Cheers

DSgamby
I plan to stick around

They are advertising for Canada as Rogers is Canada.  Not the US or anywewere else.

Look here https://www.nhl.com/info/nhltv-blackout-detector and type in your zip code to see what games are blacked out.

Herer is what they say about black outs.  I bolded for whaat applies to you.

Games broadcast on local and national television in your area are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. In certain regions, if a game is available for you to view on television in your local viewing area, then it will not be available to watch live in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. After 48 hours the full-length game replays will be available in the game archive of NHL.TV™. For guidance regarding local blackouts in your area, please enter your zip code above. If you are traveling, blackouts will be enforced according to your current location by the IP address from which you are accessing NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™.

Zip code lookup is applicable for U.S. based postal codes only.

Nationally televised games also are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™ as well. In the United States, all Stanley Cup® Playoffs and Stanley Cup® Final games will be nationally televised and are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™. If a Stanley Cup® Playoffs game is broadcast on your selected team's regional sports network, it is also subject to blackouts in NHL Premium™. To see which team's Stanley Cup® Playoffs games may be blacked out in NHL Premium™, enter your zip code above and check your local television listings. Please note that this lookup is only offered as guidance and your location is determined by the IP address you are accessing the service from. Blackouts are enforced based on the location of your viewing and not your purchase, so if you are traveling blackouts will be enforced accordingly. For international customers, blackout restrictions may apply to games that appear on an NHL® partner network in your viewing area by the IP address from which you are accessing the service. Please check your local listings for broadcasts on these networks.

milsomgreg
I've been here awhile

WOW....I'm lucky to have found such an expert!

DSgamby
I plan to stick around

Far from an expert, I just know how to blackout rules work.  That is why I use a VPN program to watch the non-Canadian feed.

Hi,

I have Roger internet and the NHL TV app on my iPad and Xbox and Rogers NHL Live (Game Center Live) subscription to be able to watch out of market hockey games. The app works fine on iPad so I can see Toronto games, as I live in Ottawa, but on my Xbox  NHL TV app Toronto games are blacked out, so the app on Xbox must think I am in the Toronto area. I tried different DSNs on the Xbox but no difference. My internet DSN must be ok as my iPad works fine (Toronto games are shown fine).

How do I get the Xbox NHL TV app with Rogers NHL Live to know that I am in Ottawa and let me see Toronto games (no Leafs dissing please).

Thanks,

Mike

Jfranks
I've been around

NHL Gamecentre Blackouts

I live in Mississauga, therefore Toronto is my in-market team, meaning the Toronto games should be blacked out. I am a Habs fan so Leaf games being blacked out doesn't matter, as i bought NHL Center ice to watch Canadiens games, however the Montreal game is blacked out.  Montreal is an out of market team, so why is it blacked out!?  

Also I don't know if this helps, but the game is available on my phone, but it gets blacked out when i try to watch it on my Xbox One or Computer.

Hello @Jfranks & @Joedeck,

Thank you for your posts & welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Being able to keep up with your favourite teams on the platforms that you want is a big deal! It's always a better experience to watch the game on the big screen.

Since it mainly seems to be affecting your Xbox Ones it seems like it could be an issue with that specific device. Do you have a Static IP and Port Forwarding setup to your consoles for Online Gaming?

@Jfranks, were you connected to your home Wi-Fi network on your phone when it worked or was it mobile data?

Keep us posted!

RogersTony

Yes, stitic ip and port forwarding and iPad and iPhone work as expected on same WiFi. Thx

fredramsay
I plan to stick around

I am having the same issue.  I live in NB and  Rogers NHL Live blacks out Toronto Maple Leaf games when i try to watch them on my computer or with my roku.  I am able to watch on my phone but not able to cast it to my Chromecast device connected to my TV.   If I log in to NHL.com on my computer at work I am able to watch Leaf games there.  So it seems that when trying to watch Leaf games at home, Rogers NHL Live is locating me in the Leafs region in Ontario.  But i'm still able to watch on my phone so i'm wondering if they use a different method for locating mobile devices.  Rogers NHL Live help line couldn't give me an answer and basically said to call my ISP, which is Xplornet, because it must be an issue on that end.  

Really need to get this fixed asap. Leafs play the Kings tonight and I want to watch.

Hello, @fredramsay

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Not able to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs' game while in New Brunswick sounds like a geolocation issue.

It seems like the Public IP address your PC/Roku box getting assigned is pointing to the Toronto location. Hence, I believe you were referred to your ISP. If your ISP confirms your Public IP is correctly geotagged then you can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Please check our blog if you require assistance with the private messaging.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

fredramsay
I plan to stick around

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @fredramsay

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Not able to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs' game while in New Brunswick sounds like a geolocation issue.

It seems like the Public IP address your PC/Roku box getting assigned is pointing to the Toronto location. Hence, I believe you were referred to your ISP. If your ISP confirms your Public IP is correctly geotagged then you can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Please check our blog if you require assistance with the private messaging.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

How do i have my ISP confirm that my Public IP is correctly geotagged?  

NHL Live Apple TV Issue

Hi,

I'm having an issue with watching NHL Live on my Apple TV.  I am able to log in however, every game I select gives me the message that I'm blacked out.  I can watch the game in my home (where the Apple TV is) on my iPhone successfully but it doesn't work when I try to watch the same game on the Apple TV (likelywise with the online too; if that helps diagnose the issue.)

I've already tried: restarting the Apple TV, uninstalling the app, restarting and installing it again.  All to no avail.  

Please help!  I've paid $200 for this subscription and every time I phone the support line they tell me there is nothing they can do.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello @SHWings21 and welcome to the Community Robot Happy!

It's surely a better viewing experience on Apple TV!

May I know what generation Apple TV do you have? Were you able to use NHL LIVE previously?

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

fredramsay
I plan to stick around

Had my issue fixed in this thread a while back.  Since then Rogers has canceled my free subscription.  Went on the live chat and got the issue straightened out, at least I thought I did.  The Rogers agent had to sign me up for a free month of NHL Live until the tech department could get things straightened out.  Worked fine after that until last night when I tried to watch the Leafs play.  No longer had access to NHL Live.  Got on live chat and they did the free month thing again but still not able to watch the Leafs play because now I have the geolocating problem again.  Live chat rep says this is a common problem with geolocating and they will straighten it out manually.  The rep transfers me to someone else who creates a ticket for the tech department.  I asked how long to expect before they would contact me and i'm told it could be 48 hours.  25 minutes to game time and i still haven't heard from them.  Is it just me or has anyone else had this hard of time watching hockey with the free subscription?

Hello @fredramsay,

I'm sorry to hear about the ordeal you've been having with NHL Live, but I'm hopeful we can get your issue resolved.

Did you hear back yet regarding your ticket? Were you able to catch the game yesterday? Btw that call on Brown in overtime was awful!

Keep us posted!

RogersShaun

fredramsay
I plan to stick around

Hey Shaun,  that was an awful call on Brown.  Would have been nice to get the win but they were lucky to get out of there with a single point the way they were playing.

I was able to watch the game on my phone but i wasn't working that well.  Have not heard back regarding any ticket yet.

I believe you might have been involved in fixing this problem for me last time back in October.  The ticket number that got the problem resolved was CT12967024.   Think they had to confirm my location and override the geolocation issue.

Thanks

Fred

Hello, @fredramsay

Absolutely, a win would have been nice.  Hopefully, the next game. 

I appreciate your patience, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can check the status of your pending ticket and expedite it for you. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

BuddyRich
I plan to stick around

Are AppleTV app blackouts different from the ios phone app?  trying to watch the leafs/sens national game on atv and it says its blacked out yet on same wifi i can play it on ios app and airplay it to atv...  im in ottawa but its the national game it shouldnt be blacked out at all.  i can also stream it on cbc...  doesnt make sense on my its blacked out on apple tv.