Blackouts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Blackouts

Too many blacked out games. Will never purchase Rogers game centre again.   

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am a Shaw Internet subscriber in Kelowna, BC, and also subscribe to Rogers NHL GameCentre Live.  I haven't had problems until relatively recently (last 2 weeks?).  I was blacked out of a HNIC late game from Edmonton, even though it's a national broadcast and was also listed as a FREE game.  

I contacted the GCL chat line, and was told that my IP address was reported as being in Calgary and that it was my internet provider's problem.  I contacted Shaw and they concurred with GCL as to the actual IP address, but that that in itself wouldn't geolocate me as living in Calgary.  It's simply the address that my modem is identified with externally.

Question 1: How does GCL geolocate subscribers? I can't change my IP address.

Question 2: Why is this even an issue for a national game?

Question 3: What does FREE game mean?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Why are Toronto games blacked out in Ottawa?
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Question. I live just south of Ottawa. I get Montreal and Ottawa games on TV. I am a huge Leaf fan and one reason why I have a cell with Rogers is so I can get Leaf games. However, often when I try to watch games on game centre it says it is blacked out. If I don't live in the region, why would this be?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

. 2017 playoffs are BLACKED OUT for customers in the USA (at least Florida) Rogers advertises NO PLAYOFFS ARE BLACKED OUT but I cannot get ANY Canadian team games here in florida on either my computer or Roku using Game Centre Live. PLease correct your advertising

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That is because you are located in the USA.  You need a VPN program like Betternet.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for your input....but my point is that I can and have watched many games down here this season so what has changed that makes it different in the playoffs?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Were there any NBC or NBCSN ganes blacked out during the season?

If yes mthat is probably why as all playoff games in the US are on the NBC networks.  

The US GCL blacked out rules haven't changed since you are in the US.  You have to follow the US rules.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I dont have an answer for that . There were some games that were blacked out but if they were on nbc I would have seen them.

In any case Rogers should not assume that ALL their customers are in only Canada when they state that no playoff games are blacked out. They should say there are no blackouts IF you are in Canada.

Also the number of games blacked out down here during the season were relatively few wheras every game in the playoffs seems to be. So if it has something to do with US or NBC rights then SAY SO upfront.

Also agreed that there are other ways to see the game....just wish I didnt have too! Cheers

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

They are advertising for Canada as Rogers is Canada.  Not the US or anywewere else.

Look here https://www.nhl.com/info/nhltv-blackout-detector and type in your zip code to see what games are blacked out.

Herer is what they say about black outs.  I bolded for whaat applies to you.

Games broadcast on local and national television in your area are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. In certain regions, if a game is available for you to view on television in your local viewing area, then it will not be available to watch live in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. After 48 hours the full-length game replays will be available in the game archive of NHL.TV™. For guidance regarding local blackouts in your area, please enter your zip code above. If you are traveling, blackouts will be enforced according to your current location by the IP address from which you are accessing NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™.

Zip code lookup is applicable for U.S. based postal codes only.

Nationally televised games also are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™ as well. In the United States, all Stanley Cup® Playoffs and Stanley Cup® Final games will be nationally televised and are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™. If a Stanley Cup® Playoffs game is broadcast on your selected team's regional sports network, it is also subject to blackouts in NHL Premium™. To see which team's Stanley Cup® Playoffs games may be blacked out in NHL Premium™, enter your zip code above and check your local television listings. Please note that this lookup is only offered as guidance and your location is determined by the IP address you are accessing the service from. Blackouts are enforced based on the location of your viewing and not your purchase, so if you are traveling blackouts will be enforced accordingly. For international customers, blackout restrictions may apply to games that appear on an NHL® partner network in your viewing area by the IP address from which you are accessing the service. Please check your local listings for broadcasts on these networks.