cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackouts

mknycto
I've been here awhile
I am in Toronto. Are there any games blacked out for me other than some Leaf games? For instance if there are games that do not involve the leafs but are available on TVA sports (a channel that I do not subscribe to but is available). Are those considered "in market"?
153 REPLIES 153

Re: Blackouts

He did mention earlier he was watching via Centre Ice. If that is the case that would explain the blackout because the link he provided says the games won't be on Centre Ice anymore but carried by BELL in southwestern Ontario.

He should still be able to watch it via GameCenter Live though. Buffalo wouldn't be considered in-market up here, even if BELL has the broadcasting rights.

kanatablues
I plan to stick around

Sorry for the confusion I created by equating the too. Yes, it was through Rogers GameCentre LIVE and the problem occurred on both my Apple TV and computer. I had no problems last year nor the first few games.

I was hoping that this might be a Bell/Rogers glitch that could be fixed/investigated through official channels.

kanatablues
I plan to stick around

I still have a problem with being blacked out, the customer support on this is has been very bad. 

After so much time and effort, all that I have established is that yes, Buffalo Sabres games should not be blacked out here in Kitchener.

The only NHL GameCentre support links available point to General Rogers support, which is only capable of dealing with password issues - as a result, each attempt to get any help is a lenthy process.

First, a long explanation of issues and transfer to an agent 'qualified' todeal with GameCentre problems. Following that is 15-20 minutes explaining the issues, in which it is apparent I am far more versed in blackout issues than the agent. One inexperienced agent talked with her supervisor, who agreed that I shouldn't have an issue and only suggestion was to reset my ip address. I politely explained that this wasn't the issue, if I do IP lookup my IP correctly shows my city as Kitchener. After I said this, the agent abruptly ended the session.

I 'called back' immediately, went through the same lengthy discussion again, although this time the agent was much more competent. Eventually he said that he could open a case  (#392073249) and that it would be up to 7 days for the problem to be investigated. That was over 3 weeks ago.

I contacted support after ~2 weeks to investigate the status, simply stating that I had an issue with GameCentre, had a case #, and wanted an update. This simple request took 40+ minutes as agents seemed to have no clue what a case # was, to the extent that I am concerned that this is even something that exists or merely a fictitious attempt to make difficult customers/issues go away. (Btw, I did keep logs of each support session).

Eventually I was told that the case is still open and there is no way for me to know what the progress or current situation is, that I would not be contacted during the investigation (peculiar), and that I would be notified only when the issue was closed.

This seems to be a simply software bug, should be trivial to fix, Rogers seems unequipped to deal with complex GameCenter issues, and after alot of effort/imagination, I can't find any other help options. I've tried to email the NHL as well as Buffalo Sasbres, to no effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

DSgamby
I plan to stick around
You need to use a VPN service like betternet.

Canuckr
I'm here a lot

Would be nice to watch Canuck games in B.C. with the Gamecenter package that i payed for without having every few games blackout..   The FANS should not be forced to buy local TV package if they choose to watch on xbox or laptop.

DSgamby
I plan to stick around
Betternet would work on your laptop.

Search Google for how to do get VPN setup on your Xbox.

@Canuckr

Unfortunately with the way the NHL sells their broadcasting rights you pretty well have to get a TV package to watch any regionally broadcasted agmes. That's the reality of it.

bartley16
I've been here awhile

I am also frustrated about the Buffalo situation.  I live north of Waterloo, so similar to Kitchener, and last night's Bruins vs Sabres game was blacked out on Game Center Live.  

I have already wasted so much time trying to explain this to Rogers technical support and they just keep saying I must be in the black out area.  I am not near the borders of the Niagara Region so this makes no sense.  I have never had this issue in the 3 years that I have had GCL.  I watch every Bruins game either on GCL or regular TV if they are playing Toronto.

Finally I am told they can't do anything, that the NHL decides the blackouts.  Well, something is not right because I actually pay Rogers and they don't want to help? 

This game was not available on local TV - only on Center Ice - why would I buy that when I have GCL?

I

DSgamby
I plan to stick around

You need to use a VPN service like betternet.

kanatablues
I plan to stick around

If you are a Bruins fan (not Sabres), I don't know if this is gonna be worth the hassle for you to try and get 'fixed' - there is a glitch. After ALOT of calling, I was able to convince Tier Two support that there was a problem. The problem is that because of the licensing/setup, there is not really any easy way for Rogers tech support to liase with the NHL Gamecenter people that actually support the software.

I believe what they eventually did was to change/force where I connect to Rogers. so that now my IP address reads as Toronto-based rather than Kitchener/Waterloo.  This is really a work-around rather than a true fix ... but it works. The fact is, the Sabres in-market region is within of a 50 mile radius of downtown Buffalo (ie Harborcenter) so we should not be considered in-market. However, the new implementation of the agreement with Bell regarding providing free Buffalo Sabres coverage to its subscribers in SW Ontario has some IP look-up glitches resulting in issues. 

johnbent
I plan to stick around

i live outside of ottawa, I do not have tv, everything in the house is streamed.  The televised sens games are blacked out for us and the televised habs games in montreal are also blacked out  , i can understnd the ottawa games but why are the habs games in montreal also blacked out?

@johnbent

Do you live east or west of Ottawa? I think the area to the east of the city falls under the blackout area for the Habs.

EDIT: I checked the blackout availability for eastern Ontario and confirmed this. You can get all the national Habs/Sens games, their national games against other teams and any out of market games with other teams. But unless you have the necessary TV package any of the regional games won't be available.

jm2morri
I've been here awhile

I live in southwestern Ontario and since the switch to the new game centre almost every game is blacked out.

I don't have any VPN or DNS wizardry going on.  Last night, I was only able to see Washington and Florida, every other game I tried was blacked out.  Tonight, Montreal and Buffalo is blacked out and it shouldn't be.

What is going on?

I get the same behaviour on my desktop, Roku, and PS3.  Trying to get browser working first and I login at the new URL https://www.nhl.com/login/rogers

Some games work so video plugin is good, bandwidth is good, etc.  Just most games are blacked out.

johnbent
I plan to stick around
I am in west Ottawa in Kanata a couple blocks from where the sens play. I. CAn see the Habs/sabers game tonight fine. But I don't think any games should be blocked especially the ones from cities 3 hours away.

Lynda_W
I've been here awhile

Same here.  Everything last night was blocked out except Washington as well.  We're supposed to have access to all out of market games and we don't have access to anything.  It's ridiculous.

caboose187
I plan to stick around
My only work around that I use, as a rogers customer, is to turn my WiFi off, connect to GCL, pick my blacked out game which I can watch as a rogers customer, get it started then turn my WiFi back on. Works perfectly.

johnbent
I plan to stick around
You turn the wifi on your router off, then turn game on a wired device such as laptop then turn the wifi back on? Didn't make sense to me that it would work. But I am game to try anything to watch the blacked out games.

I live in Ottawa as well and I am a Rogers TV customer with the sports package. I can view the games in GCL fine on my laptop but my ipad insists that the habs and ottawa games are blacked out for me. There is an issue with how the ipad app authenticates the Rogers credentials and tv subscription. It seems like the ipad location feature is overriding the tv subscription authentication. Anyone have any ideas? The only reason I have Rogers TV is so that I would not have blackouts on my ipad and appleTV. This worked fine until the updates of Feb 1st.

bartley16
I've been here awhile

Since the update I am having many issues.  I live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and almost every game was blacked out for me on Tuesday night - New York/New Jersey, The Wild/Islanders.....  I also couldn't choose the home feed for the game I watched.  This is a reason I subscribe, to get the local feed.

I am very unhappy with GCL and if this continues, I see no reason to subscribe next year.  I have paid for this the last several years and the service is getting worse instead of improving.

Calling Rogers is absolutely useless.  I just spend time getting no where at all.

johnbent
I plan to stick around
What I did last year was pay 4.99 a month for a Von service. Paid about 100$ US and used the Von service to put my location in an area of the USA where there was no hockey teams and I watched every game, nothing was blacked out. I wanted to save the 100$ this year but now after the blackouts and frustration to get things going I am thinking about going back to the Vpn service.
One thing that you can do is Goto a streaming service that shows all sports games. The quality isn't perfect but the sound is good and you can watch all games.

johnbent
I plan to stick around
VPN not Von