cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has Rogers Eliminated the Flex Heavy Plan for Rocket Hubs?

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

I am on the last day of my billing cycle and I wanted to check my online data usage.

I discovered that there is no more Flex Heavy Data Plan for my Rocket Hub.

I am shocked!

Does this mean that my flex Heavy Data Plan has been changed behind my back without notification?

Very upset.

Doug

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why has Rogers Eliminated the Flex Heavy Plan for Rocket Hubs?

Hello @gdmaclew & @gwmacdonald,

Thank you for your contribution to the Community. We value your feedback very much!

As confirmed to @gdmaclew by one of our representatives, your grandfathered plan will not be changed without your consent. As long as you remain on your current plan, you will have the ability to keep it.

We will only change your plan if you ask us to do so.

The new plan would be applicable to anyone activating a mobile internet service after its launch.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

RogersZia

Hello @gdmaclew,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

Unexpected changes can definitely be a frustrating experience. We would have to review your account to see if there are any changes made to your current plan. The features vary depending on the plan you currently have. Since the forums are a public platform, I would recommend you to PM us @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to review the account for you.

Just as an FYI for users such as yourself who rely on a rocket hub for all online access you may want to look at our new Fixed Heavy plan.  

Looking forward to hearing from youRobot Happy!

RogersZia

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

Why would I even consider the Fixed Heavy Plan when it is much more expensive that the Flex Heavy Plan that I am on now?

Is this the kind of advice you give to all your clients?

I have been assured that my current Plan will not be tampered with as long as I am on it.

gwmacdonald
I plan to stick around

It would be useful if a moderator would confirm that our data plans will NOT be changed from Flex to Fixed without the customer's consent.  

Hello @gdmaclew & @gwmacdonald,

Thank you for your contribution to the Community. We value your feedback very much!

As confirmed to @gdmaclew by one of our representatives, your grandfathered plan will not be changed without your consent. As long as you remain on your current plan, you will have the ability to keep it.

We will only change your plan if you ask us to do so.

The new plan would be applicable to anyone activating a mobile internet service after its launch.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

Thank you for informing the Community Maude.

user123321
I've been here awhile

This is very discouraging to hear that these new plans are even more expensive then the quite old Data Flex plans.

Our usage is anything but "heavy".

No Netflix, 240p youtube, no downloading... heavily restricted use and we are still constantly breaking our maximum 100gb data cap.

Our bills are often well over 200$... and even hit 600$+ when we downloaded 192gb over the holidays. 

This new plan is going backwards... very unfortunate.

kco
I plan to stick around

RogersMaude, thanks for confirming we will remain on our existing Flex Heavy Plans, and thank you gdmaclew for bringing this to our attention.

Still, it is disconcerting to see the increase for new customers.  For many rural dwellers like me, cell-based internet is the only available option and I imagine the increase will cause real hardship for some people.  We are just two retired people in our household so we manage to stay under the 50 GB monthly rate step by watching Netflix at the lowest quality and YouTube at 360p.  If forced on to it, the new plan would raise our monthly bill by $50.

Reasonable internet capacity is a necessity in these times and I wish the CRTC treated it that way rather than allow large providers to charge what the market will bear rather than provide an essential service for a reasonable profit.

I have always had good service from Rogers' support staff and appreciate having a good, reliable option to meet our needs. Still, I wish the large providers' top management would put more focus on customers' concerns and less on maximizing profit.

Thanks again for clarifying the new plan for us.

Geezer
I plan to stick around

This is interesting. I tried to log in today to check my plan. Usually I just give my ID and password and get right in. Today I was given a totally grey screen with no access to anything. This has never happened before. I actually had to go next door and use my neighbour's computer which uses Google Chrome (my computer is a Mac and uses Safari) and got in just fine. I am wondering if it is me that is blocked (they don't want me to get in and change my plan to a more affordable one) or they have decided to block all Macintoshes running Mac OS 10.13.3. Is anyone else using a Mac having this problem with logging in to MyRogers?

kampkand
I plan to stick around
I have to agree with you!! We are a family of 6, with 4 school aged children, and we go over all the time. There is no steaming at all from us, there is absolutely no way that we could ever do this with only having 100GB. All of my children’s homework has to be done online!!

This is totally going backwards, and an even bigger money grab from Rogers!! I can’t believe that a company that has total disregard for their customers feedback, can still be in business!!!

If anything I need a lot more data, not a fraction of what this new plan is offering. If I wasn’t stuck, having to use anything from Rogers, I would be gone!! This is absolutely unacceptable!!! We as consumers need to stand up to this kind of gouging!!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I haven't looked closely to analyze the changes, but one major factor that I believe is leading to this move is the introduction of caps on data overages for flex and fixed plans.  It seems coincidental that these changes are showing up right as the introduction of the new wireless code on various price categories and plan categories, and some areas like this were actually given 2 months extension as the companies said they couldn't technologically implement the changes as designed.  I wonder if these changes are their response to aiming to keep the massive billions of dollars of income from data and overage plans as reported by the CRTC in their December reports and how companies will modify these plans to meet the requirements and maximize or even increase their profits.

As the CRTC has noted, companies provide lots of reasons why they have to increase these rates, and do compliment them for providing improved management tools, but they also educate the poupluace who read their documents on ways to monitor and determine their actual needs, but they also acknowledge that there is other plans from competition available, but there is also limited competition, and they don't see the major companies tinkering with a price and plan model that is providing them with such huge profits.

Those articles can all be found for your own reading by searching CRTC, wireless data, wireless code, overages and rural internet options.

We do have options around the province, it is a matter of doing the work to search these in our area, and spread by word of mouth, obtain via google searches, and talking to your neighbours in a rural area.  Since we may be moving to a rural area, due the reality that we can't afford to live in the city areas anymore, we have been actively looking around for options that we can afford and has become a part of our decision making of where we eventually move.

Great questions - the answers to why, I can only guess, but at the end of the discussion, what I personally am left with is what options are available, that in this current thread, I am not going to hear of many options, although there are some, but the biggest task for me is to talk to people, go to other forums, follow Maple Syrup, read the CRTC reports coming out, and the most important things that CRTC has said, is know your needs well - keep in mind that a lot of the push for more data has been marketing driven.

The point that for a person in a rural area with kids in school, Internet access just to communicate with fellow students, and to research is critically important, along with the reality that much of our banking, shopping, price checking and financial, along with taxes and government services are all on the Internet, so it is critical for that group to keep pushing for a level of fairness for them to be able to access what they need.  As someone said, they know that it costs more to live in a rural area, but there are also savings and life style benefits too, but Internet is a critically important resources for day to day living.

Once last point - this one, my father in law and mother in law do to keep their rural costs down and have access to faster Internet - they do limited Internet work at home, and they make a trip to their local senior centre, municipal buildings, Tim Hortons and the like, and libraries - I remember how we used to as children travel from our small town with its expensive, limited choice of groceries, and once per week, we made a trip to the local major town for cheaper prices, competition and more access, and once a month or less frequently, we made our trip to the closest city and made a weekend out of it, visiting family and friends along the way.

We can look a ways to be less dependent upon the big guys and their pricing and plan strategies, and as they make less money, they may try to increase prices to recoup the loss of usage, but once we learn to reduce usage, if they want us to get back into their game, they will have to price it for the customer - supply and demand economics.

Again, hope these thoughts are helpful - Seems there has been a lot of changes in plans, pricing strategies, largely driven by changes in CRTC attempts to protect us, but I see that we need to look at what we can put under our control.

Bruce

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

Thank you for your thoughts Bruce but Rogers is not introducing caps on data overages. Rogers has had caps on data overages ever since they introduced wireless in my area (west of Ottawa) about 10 years ago.

The issue with the new Fixed Heavy Plan is the increase in cost at each level within that plan.

Doug

user123321
I've been here awhile

Doug,

We are west of Ottawa, directly off the Panmure Exit on the 417... there is no other choices available.

I discovered they removed the heavy flex plan when checking to see if they increased monthly data caps on the flex plan, only to discover it's been completely removed!

A plan that used to cost 160$ a month for 100gb... will now cost new customers over 200$ a month!!!!

There is literally no option available where I live other then to be taken to the cleaners.

Don't get me wrong, the Rogers service is VERY VERY VERY fast and reliable... but the cost is VERY high! Easily 200$+ a month in a house hold of 2 with heavy restrictions applied.

We need more people to post in this thread to show that we are upset with these changes.

Perhaps everyone should also contact the CRTC to register complaints... something has to give.

kampkand
I plan to stick around

Yes the data caps have always been there. Before they changed the plan pricing, they shut my modem down at $50 over the first tier of my plan, they said it was because of the new CRTC rules. But they always shut my modem down once I was at $50 over the 100GB tier. So I’m not sure how this is new. It looks like a money grab to me!!

As for the monitoring, I’m not sure how you are supposed to keep track of your data usage, when the tracker is 12 hours out of date!!

Also you had mentioned finding an alternative provider, been doing that since the start!! Because of where I live I can’t get the fixed wireless providers, apparently I live in a hole.

Traveling to town to go to the library or town buildings to use the internet is just not realistic!

Thanks for your thoughts

kampkand
I plan to stick around
Yes I totally agree!! Unfortunately is complaining to Rogers is useless!! They don’t listen to their customer feedback, at all!! If they did they would have made the plan cheaper, or kept the same price, and given us more data!!

You can try and complain to the CRTC, I have in the past asking for more data. They basically said that they can’t force them to give us a service!! Also that they had competition!

The other thing you can do, is contact the Beter Business Bureau. Rogers will call you!! They will tell you the the average home only uses 90GB per month, which I think is a bunch of bull!!

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around
We also live on Panmure.
I have been assured that my Flex Heavy Plan will NOT be switched to the new Fixed Heavy Plan without my permission.
And yes it sucks for new users.

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

Kampkand...

I use a program called Networx.

It used to be free but now it's a paid App (CA $39).

You can set your "interval" to start on any day of the month and check your daily, weekly and monthly usage.

I've been using it for 7 years and it is very accurate.

You can even set it to monitor usage by application.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

kampkand
I plan to stick around
Hey thanks for that!! I will check it out. The only problem I have, is that it’s another $39 a month going out the door. If apps like this can monitor your data that accurately, it begs the question, why can’t Rogers!!! After all, they are the ones that are supposed to provide it!! Oh I know now, it’s a money grab!!!

Sorry, it appears to be a onetime cost. The $39 is for 5 devices. It’s $69 for 10 devices. This is the option I would have to take, since we are a family of 6. Something to think about!

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around
Kampkand...

It's not $39 per month. It's a one time fee.

kampkand
I plan to stick around
Yeah I just edited my last post, thanks. I would have to do the $69 at the very least(we are a family of 6). So many things connect to the internet these days.

user123321
I've been here awhile

I run a raspberry PI to monitor my traffic and control network traffic. It's free and 100 times more powerful then an app.

Monitoring isn't the issue in my opinion... The extreme cost and no options to scale a "Heavy use" data plan  to something that actually allows us to use the internet as if we are in 2018... not 2008.

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 34 Likes
  • 15 in conversation