cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the MF271 as a modem with an external router

jramsay
I've Been Around

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to set up my rocket hub (MF271) as a modem and then use an external router to broadcast the signal with a better range than the MF271's built in one. But I can't seem to get it to work. When I plug the ethernet cable directly into the d-link router i can't seem to get it to work. 

I don't know if there's a way to put the MF271 into Bridge mode or if I have to use port forwarding or something along those lines. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers any help would be greatly apprecieated

***Edited Labels***

40 REPLIES 40

Re: Using the MF271 as a modem with an external router

the41stside
I Plan to Stick Around
That's entirely correct jmyching and thats what I did. I was actually able to run the wifi on the ZTE dedicated to my security cameras. While using a downstream apple router to handle all the rest of my wireless. Doing it this way leaves everything on the same NAT and because said NAT is handled by the ZTE one can also use the wifi in the ZTE as well as their own downstream router. Just watch the wifi frequency channel if you want to do this 😉

the41stside
I Plan to Stick Around

Using the MF271 as a router for my network it burned out in 3 months. I confirmed on the phone with tech support today that my 271 was likely overloaded because its not meant to handle as much routing as i was doing. About 30 devices, most hard lined to a switch.

This begs the question, why have a router that can't be bridged if it can't handle routing? 

You may say, "It can handle routing, just not on that large a scale". To which i say.. IT CAN'T.

if it can't handle 30 devices while it's wifi isn't even on and it's only being used as a router and modem... IT'S NOT A ROUTER!!

Hello... I was reading your post about the ZTE MF271. I would like to hook up a security camera and monitor it with my Iphone. Normally this requires that I can access the MF271 Wan IP address and possible port forward the camera. Has anyone been able to do this succesfully ?

Yes, it will work,

How I did it, was to use a separate router to reduce the load on the slower MF271

First, I got a public routable IP address from Rogers.  Then I set up the LAN as 192.168.1.255 with all radios off. Then had my main netgear router hooked to the mf271. Port forwarded all ports to the netgear. I then used the netgear as both firewall and router for all devices in the house.  With some fireall rules and port forwarding on the netgear, I had cameras, media, etc available to me wherever I am via mobile.

I don't know your knowledge level, but I can help you if you get stuck.

Dan

BillKmet
I've Been Here Awhile

Alternative Rocket Hubs

Are there other routers that could be used with the rogers sim card that are faster, better range, battery strength, and handle more devices or are we locked in using only what rogers offers?