Using the MF271 as a modem with an external router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Using the MF271 as a modem with an external router

Hi

nice ot see it worked.

Did you disable the DHCP server in the 271, to allow your router to serve IP addresses?

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Yes @B0bD, the Wi-Fi function under the settings tab for the ZTE MF271 Rocket Modem was disabled. This will allow any connected router to serve IP addresses as the dedicated DHCP router.

Thanks,
RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

I understand about disabling the wifi.

However, under the "router settings" tab, should I disable the DHCP server as well?

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @B0bD,

Thank you for your patience.

Yes under the same settings option disable the DHCP server to allow your router to manage all local IP addresses on your network.

Thanks,
RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks

A followup question:

With such a setup, would port forwarding behandled by the 271 or b the router.

Also, would the 271 be transparaent and allow the router to handle DDNS?

Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

@B0bD

To help answer your question, it would be B, your router would handle all the configuration settings.

Regards,

RogersAliciaG

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Is there a way to turn off DHCP or change the IP range on the MF271? I see the Router Settings but they have all been greyed out? I need to use a different range of internal IPs to eliminate conflict with a VPN at work I have to connect to. Thanks.
I Plan to Stick Around

You will probably need to disconnect first ("Home" tab, Disconnect). Then make your changes; following this you reconnect.

I'm Here A Lot

Found the Disconnect button and was able to turn off the DHCP on the hub. Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ha it sounds like a great suggestion, but we all know how little Rogers values the opinions of its high paying customers. Been a nightmare on the hub and rogers network... Anyway...

ive been running the zte as a modem wi thmy own apple wifi network for 3 years now. The problem, which is the same no matter what router you choose... Double NAT, or double "network address translation". What this means is you shut off wifi on the zte hub and via Ethernet you connect port 1 on the zte to the uplink port on your router, or port 1. Now what you have because of the inability to bridge the zte is two sets of IP address ie. 192.168____ + 10.0.1____. Further you must make sure that in your zte and router settings that your are using different sets of IP translations, if the zte and the router are both using 192.168______ then it simply won't work. Most routers allow you to change this, but the zte is stuck on 192.168.1.___ for anyone who's wondering. 

So 

PRO's

-if your network is only for simple things you can now connect as many devices as you would like., 

CONS's

where to start.

-No range extenders, double NAT won't allow proper translation

-no port forwarding, meaning no remote access, double NAT it isn't possible to forward ports thru three networks (the web, the zte, and your own router)

-NO remote access means.... No remote door locks, no remote thermostats, no remote camera viewing and on and on.

all in all this is a joke. But given that it took me three years of paying for 100gb a month when rogers would only give me 30 (do the math 300$+ monthly for Internet.) all because we're rural. Now they're telling me they only do static IP's for business account holders.

so for all of you in this situations with a double NAT, living in a rural area with only the zte as a broadband option. Escalate your case. We all have a right to properly working broadband without nonsense like static IP's for business account holders, and fair data caps comparable to DSL accounts. Don't let rogers tell you "sorry mam, sorry sir,me don't offer that" yes they do, their the ones putting stupid restrictions on like 10 device limits etc. 

hey rogers, canada is coming for you, look out you greedy ___________ <<---------------- insert true feelings here.

Mike, your friendly neighbourhood anti big Telecom IT support. Ask for anything, cuz rogers doesn't know. I'm here