Using the MF271 as a modem with an external router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Using the MF271 as a modem with an external router

All good.
The specs you just posted brings up another question that I have.
You wrote "LTE Bands: 2100/2600 MHz", yet the ZTE website for this device: http://ztedevices.ca/en/zte-mf271.html specifies "LTE Bands:700 MHz". Which is correct ?
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

I went by Rogers version. Not International Version. o__o"
I've Been Here Awhile

I see.

So when Rogers replaces this hub with one that has the 700MHz LTE band, I'll have to dish out the cash for the new one ?

I've Been Here Awhile

Since my orginal post about adding an external router to the ZTE MF271 modem (due to the 10 user limitation on the ZTE), I am happy to report a very succesful installation!

They must be making routers "smarter" than they used to because really it was very straightforward.

First I disabled the wifi function in the settings tab on the ZTE modem.

Next I connected a router to the ethernet output on the back of the modem and followed the setup instructions that came with my router.

In my case I used a DLink AC1900 which I just purchased from Costco for $159.  This router did everything it needed to do automatically.  All I needed to do was assign a password for the new wifi SSID.

So far I found only pros and no cons (other than needing to spend another $159).  So far I have had 14 devices/users connected to it simulatneously (as mapped out by the new routers interface)  including iphones, laptops, ipads, security cameras, Netflix and a wifi thermostat.  I did a speed test of my internet download and upload speed before and after and there is no apparent degradation of service.

Things slow down a bit when I am streaming Netflix vis a vis the other devices but that would be the case with or without the external router.

I am not sure why all the Tech Support people I spoke to before about this said it would be a problem doing this or there would be issues.  Maybe not all routers would be so easy to set up this way and from a support point of view its easier to say not possible.

The only other con.....and a pro for Rogers, is that they will be able to bill me for more data useage.

Happy surfing!

Rogers Employee

No. Once a new model comes out, a Carrier usually makes a deal with a manufacture to make their hardware work with that BAND (which is why you see a lot of Galaxy S6 by samsung with different band in different regeions).
Your HUB however won't become obselete, so there wouldn't be a NEED to buy a new version.
Unless you wanted it to be a certain band for some reason. (Which doesn't play a big role for most consumers).

HUB are like SmartPhones, once you get one you own it. If you get another HUB it will be another cost. But i don't its needed. They would do the same thing.
I've Been Here Awhile

One more benefit I neglected to mention in my last post.  The wifi signal strength of the new DLink external router is much better than what was provided by the built in wifi router in the ZTE modem.  I now have good to excellent signal strength on all three levels of my place.

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Breeze99,

I'm happy your issue has been resolved, Thank you for sharing it with the Community!

Great Job! Smiley Happy
RogersArthur

Rogers Employee

Wootness ^__^
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thanks for your help, that did tje trick for me.

However I do not understand why you don't give us control of the machine, like you did with past models, so we can use it like a regular routeur. I don't get why I have to use a different wifi if I wish to use specific IP adress in my network. Non sense.

Marc-André Audet

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Les_Malins,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for sharing with us that the solution also worked for you. Smiley Happy

In regards to using the ZTE MF271 modem as a regular router, sounds like something you could maybe post in our idea section to share with the community. In fact we currently have a 'Post Your Best Blog Ideas' thread to celebrate the Community Forums 5th year. You can click here for more information on our Birthday Blog Contest!

Thanks,
RogersArthur

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 14 in conversation