cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ZTE MF275R for remote monitoring

drh
I plan to stick around

I am trying to use a ZTE MF275R for remote monitoring.    I am using an Arduino with temperature and humidity sensors to send data to Thinkgspeak.com every 10 minutes.   The problem I am encountering is that periodically the MF275R will disconnect from the internet and doesn't reconnect on its own.   (needs to be re-booted, which is a problem for remote monitoring).   First time it ran about 8 days, next time it ran about 10 days.  

Is this a common occurrence that others are experiencing or unique to my Hub?    Is there a firmware upgrade that provides a cure - or at least a scheduled re-boot option?    

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Using ZTE MF275R for remote monitoring

kswison
I've been here awhile

ZTE for remote monitoring, WAN IP is different that the 'What is my IP': 

I have set up a ZTE MF275R for remote access monitoring at my RV.

The ZTE is up and running off the 12V batteries.  I cut off the 12V DC 1.5 Amp adapter and connected it to the 12V RV battery power. I installed a 12V DC Boost Buck to maintain the voltage at 12V DC with a 2 amp in-line fuse, as the RV batteries when being charged by the solar system can be 13.7V or even as high as 14.4V, and that might burn out the ZTE MF275R. So the Boost buck maintains at 12V DC.  Cool enough, even if the battery power drops to 10.5V the boost buck will step up the voltage to the 12V to maintain a constant 12V DC to the ZTE.  Works great!

I have a WIFI  Thermostat set up and working. As we winter camp, I can turn the heat on in the RV at noon and by the time get out to the RV around 6:00 pm it is nice and warm. 

I have a WIFI camera set up for security, as well as a temp battery voltage monitor. I can see the battery status via its app. I can view and pan the camera around the site via its app.

My issue is the monitoring of the batteries.  I have a really inexpensive WIFI Voltage monitor at this time but I can only see the voltage of the RV batteries. Nice but, I also have a fairly detailed TM-2030 solar monitoring device with a WF-2030 WIFI connector that can only be viewed via WIFI through a Browser on my iPhone or iPad, and only when I am connected to the local ZTE WIFI network at the RV. I connect to the WF2030 by entering 'WF2030' in my iPad's browser's search bar. Through the WF2030 WIFI and browser I can see how the solar system is performing and the rate of charge, etc. The WF2030 does not use a cloud or other internet connection app like the WIFI battery monitor, WIFI thermostat or WIFI cameras have to make them accessible through the net.

My assumption is if I can connect to the ZTE remotely when I am away from the RV, then once connected I should be able to type in 'WF2030' in the search bar, or even the 192.168.aaa.bbb (the WF2030's DNS IP) in the search bar and get to the WF2030 device to view the solar system's performance stats.

So, when I am away from the RV I need a dial-in type remote access connection to the ZTE to get logged onto my router so I can access the WF2030's data through the ZTE's local network.

The problem is, or what seems to be the problem is that the WAN IP (in the range of 25.aaa.bbb.ccc) listed in the ZTE's software program is different than the 'WHAT IS MY IP' (in the range of 72.aaa.bbb.ccc) on my iPad when connected to the ZTE, and because of this (I believe) I cannot find the ZTE's remote access to make a connection. At least that is what I think my issue is.  

Doing some research I have found this from another website... where someone was noting their WAN IP different from the 'What is my IP'.

Your router is indeed behind another router performing address translation. Chances are your internet provider is doing carrier-grade nat. As to 'why?', ISPs do this to overcome an IPv4 address shortage. This way, they can provide internet access to many customers using just one public IP.

In finding this info above, I am assuming this is my issue. It states that I need to call my service provider (which is Rogers) and get them to set me up with a static IP address. I have not called yet, but based on other hardwired service providers, that probably a $20/month option that I do not want to pay for an RV site.

What I don't understand is, if the inexpensive WIFI battery monitor, my WIFI Thermostat, and my WIFi cameras all work just fine with two-way communication through the ZTE, then there has to be some type of workaround, or I am just doing something completely wrong.

I have tried typing the following into my remote browser in an attempt to remote login to my ZTE MF275R.

https://72.aaa.bbb.ccc.          (the 'Whatsis my IP')

https://72.aaa.bbb.ccc:8080

or

https://25.aaa.bbb.ccc          (the WAN IP)

https://25.aaa.bbb.ccc:8080

and get the response ' Cannot connect' & ' timed out' from the browser at all 4 addresses.

ZTE does not identify a remote access port, just assumed 8080.

The ZTE has not software to turn on REMOTE ACCESS.

But does have port forwarding, so I assume it receives connections as it does with the Thermostat and the camera.

I would really like to get this resolved without having to pay for a static IP address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

K

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, paying for a static IP is about the only way of doing it, unless things have changed.
Compared to say a home based internet, its a little different.
Like on a land line internet, your external IP is say 99.x.x.x, and this is whats visible to the outside world.
While its not static, tends to stay the same for a LONG time.

With cellular there is more of a 2 layer for it.. that the external IP is more of a forward itself to whatever the IP is of the device.  That the external IP, even without the device moving, could bounce around to many different IPs during the day possibly.
Paying for the static, sort of locks it in.

From there, you would then set up the port forward.

drh
I plan to stick around

@kswison  - that sounds like a nice RV setup you have.   I just camp in a teardrop trailer so winter camping is off the table for me.    

I am not surprised that you can't communicate with the WF-2030 WiFi, but I am surprised that your other WiFi devices and camera work!     My crude understanding is that each cell tower is like a router and has a public IP address.   The clients (cell phones and rocket hubs) connect and are assigned "local" IP addresses from that cell tower.   So I would think that port forwarding would need to be done at the tower.    

I think the key is to figure out how your other devices are working.   You mentioned they all have cloud based apps.   I wonder if each device is keeping a connection alive all the time or at regular intervals so that when you try to connect remotely there is already a connection present.   How much monthly data is being used by these devices?    

It may be that dynamic DNS is implemented on the device level so that whenever the ZTE IP address changes each device pushes an update to the cloud server so that when you try to connect the IP address is known. 

That WF-2030 WiFi provides a lot of information.   (I watched a you-tube)    It basically serves a webpage that you can access on any browser connected to the local LAN.   It might be possible to configure an Arduino (like a Wemos D1-mini) to pull data from that local webpage and update Thingspeak.com every 15 minutes or so with the data that you want to see.   (can post up to 8 fields in one channel).    But this wouldn't let you change and setting remotely.  

kswison
I've been here awhile

It may be that dynamic DNS is implemented on the device level so that whenever the ZTE IP address changes each device pushes an update to the cloud server so that when you try to connect the IP address is known. 

I was thinking the same thing. I wish there was a hardware option that would report an IP pathway to an APP.

If these $129 WIFI Emerson Sensi Thermostats can create and maintain two-way communications through the web it should be simple to create a unit that would report your router's IP address to your app for remote access.

There is a business opportunity for someone... send me a cut... lol

Alternatively, I am considering a Raspberry Pie and having the Pie pull the data directly from the TM-2030 and post the data to a private website on a regular interval, but that might be more than I want to get into.

So, still looking for options...

Would be nice if Bogart simply made them work with an App. But that might be a while, if ever.

About SIM card with global IP

kenny11
I've been here awhile

Hello, asking for a friend who is not bright in IT.
My friend is looking a SIM card with global IP so he can access to his web cam for a limited period while he will be away from home.
Do you have options for such global IP (IPv4 is preferred though IPv6 is acceptable)?
What will be the most reasonable plan?

I want to give him instructions he can ask at the local store so there won't be any confusion nor misunderstandings.

Thanks in advance!

Re: About SIM card with global IP

Hello, @kenny11.

Welcome to our Community; we appreciate you helping out your friend!

The IP is not linked to a SIM card. By a global IP, do you mean a static IP address?

You need a Wireless Business Internet subscription for a static IP.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Re: About SIM card with global IP

by global ip do u mean static ip?

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 11 in conversation