Unlocked Telus Huawei B890-66 compatible on Heavy Flex Plan?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Unlocked Telus Huawei B890-66 compatible on Heavy Flex Plan?

I am looking to move my service over to the heavy flex plan from Telus. Would an unlocked Huawei B890-66 work on the network with this plan?

***Edited Labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Unlocked Telus Huawei B890-66 compatible on Heavy Flex Plan?

@alkaszl

For use of an unlocked/unsupported device on the Rogers network I would consult out the Rogers Frequencies thread to confirm if the device supports the required frequencies.

RogersDarrell

I've Been Here Awhile

I know that the device is compatible with the network. However, I have seen mentions else where that the billing requorents for the heavy flex plan requires a 'Rocket Hub' IMEI in order to register for this specific plan. There aren't any specific answers/resources about this on the site suggesting this, aside from the heavy flex being for 'rocket hubs only'. If I were to unlock my device, would I be able to sign up for this service with the unlocked device? Is there a list of supported devices for this plan?
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alkaszl

You are correct, the Light and Heavy Flex Rate plans require a Rocket Hub IMEI and therefore non-Rogers devices are not compatible.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

I was using a Huawei B890-66 on the Rogers Heavy Use plan.  Some details are in my first two posts in this thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/MobileInternet/thread-id/2697

It was a bit of a chore to get the router on Rogers' network.  I did it by sending a message through "Share a Concern". At the time Rogers did not have a external antenna capable router.  They do now with the ZTE MF275R.  I believe they ended up using a IMEI of an Rogers-owned router to get me on the system.  The understanding was I would not receive technical support for my router.

In late December our service suddenly deteriorated. It was unusable for long periods for a few weeks. I was certain it was not my router's fault. But I think the router was part of the reason I could not get a 2nd-level callback. I was promised a callback four separate times, but each time it never happened.  The 1st-level told me 2nd-level simply closed the call after checking their system, which appeared OK.  Of course it was OK--the problem was intermittent.

Anyhow, out of desparation I bought a Rogers ZTE MF275R router.  It does accept an external antenna.  The previous ZTE MF271 which was available when I got Rogers service did not accept an external antenna--thus my going with Huawei.

I finally got to discuss my service with 2nd-level.  A very helpful person spoke with me and corrected something on the Rogers side.  At least I assume he fixed something because the problem disappeared and has been rock-solid since, and that was a month ago.

The Huawei B890-66 actually performed better than the Rogers MF275R.  I consistently got 20 to 30 Mbps dowload speeds whereas the MF275R gets 8 to 10 Mbps.  However, the MF275R did get 30-40Mbps for a short period during one day.

That said, I like the MF275R and am upgrading my antenna, which should make it speedier and more reliable.  The Rogers 2nd-level support person gave very good advice for helping me decide on the antenna.  I am still waiting for the antenna.  More details are in the thread referenced above.

You should be able to get your unlocked Huawei on the Rogers network but it may be a struggle.  And even then, you may have support problems if trouble develops.

It may be best to try to sell you Huawei and go with the ZTE MF275R. 

EDIT: After considering it more and reading other comments:

Your Huawei will work on the Rogers network but:

- you will need to pay to unlock the Telus router

- it is a pain to get a non-Rogers router on their network

- support will be limited if you do manage to get it on

- the ZTE MF275R is a good router and accepts an external antenna if needed

Most important...the Rogers Heavy Use plan is great for those of us who must use cellular for home internet.  I came from Bell in BC which had an upper limit of 15GB(in Eastern Canada it is 20GB).  Telus is even more absurd.

With Rogers we can at least access services such as Netflix, YouTube, etc., without incurring ridiculous charges.

Go with the Rogers router rather than struggle with a non-Rogers device.  I did that out of necessity but don't regret changing to the MF275R.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the informative reply. It is unfortunate that it is a struggle to get a technically compatible device to work on the network because of arbitrary reasons.. Mainly to force more money out of the customer.

I will look around kijiji and hopefully find a rocket hub on there, because I'm not going to pay 200+ for yet another modem. I only need the service for a few months so the price isn't really worth it.
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersDarrell Will the Rogers Rocket Hub, Model MF28B, work with the Heavy plan? This is an older model that is not currently available on the store site.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @alkaszl

In order for the device to work on the plan, it should be LTE ready. The EQP195 ZTE MF28B Rocket Hub is LTE ready so it should work fine :).

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation