Rogers vs Google DNS

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Rogers vs Google DNS

I am a Rogers RocketHub W35 owner.  Earlier this week I began having problems with DNS.  This problem is in addition to the random Internet disconnects I get every few days, and the variable network speeds we have to endure.  I decided to do some troubleshooting on my own.

Eventually I found that I could access the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 quite nicely and reliably.  The two Rogers DNS servers coded into the RocketHub W35, 64.71.255.198, and 64.71.255.198 were a different issue altogether.

Just to demonstrate the problem, here is an example of the ping's I did to the two Rogers DNS servers:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\kees>ping 64.71.255.198 -n 100

Pinging 64.71.255.198 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=115

Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=115

(a bunch of lines not shown)

Request timed out.
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=319ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.198:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 71, Lost = 29 (29% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 1748ms, Average = 87ms

...................................................................................................................................................

And here are the results for the other Rogers DNS server:

C:\Users\kees>ping 64.71.255.253 -n 100

Pinging 64.71.255.253 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=1667ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=115
Request timed out.

(a bunch of lines not shown)

Request timed out.
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=115
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=115
Reply from 64.71.255.253: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.253:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 76, Lost = 24 (24% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 1667ms, Average = 90ms

....................................................................................................................................................

As you can see, there are lots of (about 25%) "Request timed out" lines in pings to both DNS servers.  So my question is: what is Rogers going to do about it, or is there a logical and reasonable explanation from someone from Rogers?

In the meantime, change your DNS settings to 8.8.8.8, or try namebench.com to get recommendations for your situation.

So much for the most reliable and fastest network in Canada!

skinorth

***edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers vs Google DNS

In the month or so since I posted the original item in this thread, I have managed to solve one of my W35 problems.  It seems that out-of-the-box Windows Vista (which I was running) has an anomoly with its implementation of DHCP which causes problems when used with the W35.  You can find another posting by me in this forum which details that issue and its solution.

However, I want to point out that the problems with the Rogers DNS servers at 64.71.255.198 and 64.71.255.253 do not seem to have been corrected by Rogers.  Access to the two default Rogers DNS servers which are hard-coded into the W35 hub is a problem.  They cannot be reliably reached.  I am guessing that this is a capacity problem either with the two DNS servers themselves, or with the IP network infrastructure immediate to these systems.

As I outlined in the opening post above, continuous "ping" commands to both these servers are not reliably returned.  My experience has been that I get between 10% and 30% of the ping returns timing out.

As a result, when your are accessing the Internet for any purpose, be it WWW, email, ftp, you name it, at least 10% to 30% of your accesses will encounter a delay because DNS address resolution will require multiple queries to DNS to obtain the IP address for your destination.  In extreme cases it could possibly cause the "server not found" message to arise.  This inevitably introduces delays in your access, if not occasional outright failures.

By contrast, continuous pings to the Google DNS server 8.8.8.8 seem never to time out.  They are reliably returned.  So, your Internet accesses using the Google DNS service will require only one DNS query to obtain IP address resolution.

So, for anyone who uses the Rogers wireless Internet service, you can get much better access speeds by using an alternate DNS service such as 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS address.

The use of 8.8.8.8 as primary DNS address has been endorsed by other forum users as well, for example, Chris.

So, the question is still open: Why is the Rogers default DNS service so **bleep**?

We are paying for it in our contractually defined financial obligations.  Why should we let Rogers get away with this, in addition to their numerous other sins and misdeeds?

By the way, I have reported this problem to Rogers RocketHub support at least a month ago.  Nothing seems to have changed/improved since then.

Enjoy the Internet experience in good health.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

So if the dns is hard coded on the Rocket Hub, how do I change the dns setting? There doesn't seem to be any way to change it when I log into the config screen. 

I'm an Advisor

@bluesriffs:

as you know, you cannot change the DNS settings on the RocketHub.  The only other option is to change them on your PC/laptop itself.  You will need to do this for each networked device you have connected to the RocketHub.  This may seem like a real pain, but once done, it will stay with the PC.

The exact procedure depends on what OS you are running.  The procedure is a little different for each Windows version, and definitely different for Mac and Linux.  On my Windows Vista system I go Control Panel>Network Sharing and Center Center>Manage Network Connections and right click on Wireless Network Connection.  I then select Properties.

Then select Internet Protocol V4, and click on Properties.  The bottom part of that window allows you to select your own DNS addresses.  Input them here, and your computer will use that set of IP addresses for the DNS function.

In order to determine which DNS addresses are best for you, you may want to do a little research on Google.  I now use OpenDNS whose website can be found at:

http://www.opendns.com/

There are other options as well.  Just do some Googling, and other options will show.

By the way, the DNS addresses are not "hard coded" into the RocketHub.  They are obtained from the Rogers network functions through a protocol exchange when the RocketHub establishes its PPP connection to the Rogers network through its wireless network connection.

If you still have problems setting up DNS on your PC, let us know.  There are also other topics and postings in this Forum which discuss this matter, and they also contain details for doing this on other versions of Windows.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

What if i use windows 7  ???

I'm an Advisor

@hjosee265:

I don't have Windows 7, so I can't give you a detailed set of instructions.  But the same type of procedure should be used.

You need to get to "Properties" for TCP/IP V4 which is where you set the parameters and IP addresses for DNS.

Here is a Microsoft URL that explains how to do it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks "!!! il will check that...

I've Been Around

Just to let you guys know, this was a problem many years ago.  For quite a few years, switching the DNS server decreased Rogers downtime by a "guesstimate" of 70%.  Most outages more than a few minutes were DNS related.

I used to use UUNET or some other DNS server until they were no longer public, then kept switching around.  Now I am using OPENDNS.

So, it is standard that the Rogers DNS server causes trouble.  The solution is easy.

Just switch.

btw, look up opendns for family protection.  It is free, fast and easy.

I can not insert the openDNS address, but it is opendns  dot com. (the system blocks URL insertion as far as I can see)

Instructions - OPENDNS -use the following DNS servers, but you won't get customizable protection until you sign up

or use OPENDNS  FAMILY sheild oriented DNS server at

208.67.222.123 and

the above DNS will give you family protection without any setup, but you can not then access your favorite site if it is blocked.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just setup the Rocket Hub yesterday and was thrilled with the speed compared to xplornet.  Several tests had us at 2+ to over |5+ mbps.  (We were on xplornet which sucks)  HOWEVER, within about 5 hours we had DNS issues.  We accessed the web based admin for the hub/router and switched the Rogers primary and secondary around, listing secondary first and primary second.  So far it is fine.

To access your Connection Manager, put this in your browser address line

http://192.168.1.1/

Your PW is in your manual, the default is admin and adminadmin

CHANGE YOUR PW while you are in there

On menu, go to Advanced > DNS > DNS server

Switch them around to

primary 64.71.255.253

secondary 64.71.255.198

or use Google DNS (I have yet to try this but may have to soon enough)

Google - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I think that switching the Rogers DNS may in fact be preferable -- it has not yet affected speed, got 4+ this am in cottage country

I've Been Here Awhile

Please see my post below re changing the DNS settings for the hub -- not sure why this post indicates you cannot, but we did so successfully - perhaps this is a newer hub or web interface? (May 2011)