cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers ZTE MF28B

Country_Boy_Ott
I plan to stick around

Recently purchased an LTE device, the Rogers ZTE MF28B.  No performance complaints compared to my NetComm 3G27WV-R which I was having problems with for 4-5 months.

One question I do have though, on the ZTE MF28B the option to change the LAN IP address and to modify the DHCP range are greyed out.  Is this a problem with my hub or was this done on purpose from the factory?  Or maybe there is a key sequence that unlocks this option?  Can this be changed?  It represents an unappreciated network configuration challenge I have with other devices and hubs I owned before purchasing the ZTE.

Thanks!

Mike.

***Edited labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Rogers ZTE MF28B

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Country_Boy_Ott,

Have you taken a look at the user manual yet?

RogersDarrell

The user manual that came with the MF28B is pretty thin, and I tired looking online, including on the Roger's site, for a more comprehensive electronic version to no avail.  Hopefully there will be one published soon?

Or those that are subscribing Roger's LTE service with the ZTE hub will have several limitations, like IP subnet (192.168.1.x hard coded), DHCP service always enabled (and set for an unchangeable scope of 192.168.1.100-200), plus a few other options greyed out like some APN options, etc.

Buyer beware!

Incidentially, here are the two documents posted on the www.rogers.com web site:

https://www.orderrogers.ca/rocket/hub/#/support

One is a quick reference guide and a one page specification sheet.

No detailed information on changing IP numbers, DHCP scope, etc.

Dear sir and users,

I currently am useing for my home internet, the Netcomm 3G25W-r and have have owned 3 previous top of the line routers.

I believe, that setting changes are only available, changeable if you are hardwired to your router and turn off wireless reception.

Hook directly up to your computer and I really hope this helps.  If not that is not a good option for this HUB.

I too, first thing, is change the default IP, to my own personal settings, as well as the default password.

Call Rogers tech support.

Post if these comments, help or fix the problem

Greg

Country_Boy_Ott
I plan to stick around

I tired to update the IP settings connected directly to the router and with wifi disabled.  Disappointing that these settings are hard coded.

I have disconnected from online session and all options became available. Changed IP DHCP range to something other than 192.168.1.x and made fewer dynamic IP addresses available. Now working on port forwarding to get RDP access. I did have static IP address added at 12.99 a month and 20.00 to set up but need rdp passthrough to get 3389 to one device.

configuration can easily be changed on this router.

greggrif
I've been here awhile

Dear guzzifrank,

Thank you for your post.

I am very router sauve, and would like you to explain for other's, how you did the following from your post?

Looking forward for your reply.

"I have disconnected from online session and all options became available."

Greg

wellington
I plan to stick around

On the home page of the admin interface, on the lower left side, there is a "Disconnect" button.  Click on that button to have the MF28B disconnect from the network.  That appears to be sufficient to enable a number of options that may be otherwise greyed out.  (It may not always be necessary, I've seen some of these options available while still connected.)  When you've applied your changes, click on the button again (it now says "Connect") to re-connect to the network. 

@wellington:

thanks for your posting.  You likely have saved many ZTE MF28B users a lot of time and irritation.

I just looked at the Rogers website for the ZTE MF 28B and the "Quick Start Guide" document which is provided there under the "Support" tab.  Ironically, this document includes, near the end the following: "Please refer to your MF28B User Manual for configuration options
and instructions."

None of the postings here have mentioned the "MF28B User Manual" as being provided with the device.  Have any of you who own the MF28B been provided this document?

I have done a number of searches using Google (what else?) to try and find further documentation on the device so I could understand the questions and problems being posted here by Forum users.  I have found no documentation available online, other than what is provided by Rogers, as mentioned earlier in my posting.

The ZTE websites are notably lacking in any mention of the MF28B.  But there are tons of other cellular products described, including lots of cell phones that look like what we have available here in North America under the usual brand names with which we are more familiar here in Canada.

I looked at the ZTE websites purely out of a desire to find documentation relevant to the MF28B which might not yet be available through Rogers.  My past experience with Ericsson for my W35 RocketHub certainly showed that the actual manufacturer of the device would potentially make available more documentation that which was available through an ISP/carrier.

Just for personal interest, take a look at the following website, and perhaps you will get a flavour of what ZTE is all about as a company:

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/employer/employer.aspx?empID=8558&l=en

Please draw your own conclusions.

skinorth

ldr2100
I've been around

Just got a new ZTE rocket hub and am trying to change the password- the manual says use the WEB GUI advanced configuration page. Have no idea what that is or where I find it. Am on an IPAD.

wellington
I plan to stick around

Point your browser to the default IP address of the rocket hub.  I believe this is http://192.168.1.1.  That should present a login page to the MF28B's Web GUI.  The default password is "admin".

dhklai
I've been here awhile

I am looking for mobile router that can let me assign ip to become part of our network (ip = 100.100.100.###).

From what I read in the thread, it should allow you to do that if the WIFI disabled.  I wonder if I can also connect the Hub into a switch, so that the devices in my network would see the hub (ip 100.100.100.###) and use it as default gateway for internet access.

thanks

@dhklai:

not sure what you mean by "mobile router", but any router I have ever worked with allows you to change the device IP address to whatever you need.

Most WiFi routers will not need the WiFi disabled to do management and configuration operations.

You will be able to connect a switch to any router you use.  This is a basic ethernet functional capability.

skinorth

Many thanks.

I received my ZTE MF28B last night and after discovering, of the two SIMs shipped with it, it wanted the SIM that was NOT marked Rocket Hub (crazy start) I was on-line.

When I hit the issue with the internal IP's identified in this thread I was completely frustrated.  I'm an IT professional so 192.168.1.x is an unacceptable network for my home.

The device only came with the quick start guide so I called support asking why I was unable to change these very basic settings.  The response was that it was not supported - so I was about to pack it up and ship it back when I decided to do a quick search.  I'm very happy I found this simple work around and that you folks took the time to post the solution!

Thanks again!

Also. Are you able to configure Port Forwarding ? I played with it configured an IP Cam with a

fix IP inside my LAN. Configured port 8081. 

I have a Perl script that updates my no-ip.org DDNS (so I can also see the DHCP/public IP on the Internet side) but

I cannot get to the defined/opened port from the Internet...

I bought this device only to acces IP cameras at the cottage (to access it remotely, get email/FTP information in case

there is activity, etc...)

Anyone has configured it with success ???

DiegoAtlas
I've been around

Good day

We bought 21 Routers ZTE MF28B. In the 3G/4G setup we need to configure the APN , Dial Number, User and Password, but the option of Dial number does not appears.

How can I set up the dial number?. The connection dont work without this funcion.

Want to upgrade zte mf 275 to zte mf288  rocket hub on market for some times at competitors but not Rogers

Hey @Buddyrod,

Can you clarify what you mean on your post. I don't follow?

RogersCilio

Re: Rogers ZTE MF288

zte mf 288 on market for some times.New generation for hubs 

Re: Rogers ZTE MF288

Hello @Buddyrod

Thanks so much for clarifying for us! I totally understand where you are coming from as having the newest and most up-to-date devices for your Wireless service is important in order to get the best experience.

At this time regrettably, we do not have an update on whether or not we will be carrying the ZTE MF288 Hub. If we are planning to carry this device it will be updated on Rogers.com so keep an eye out on the Mobile Internet page of the website. Another option for you would be to purchase the device outright from another source, have it unlocked and then you can pop in a Rogers Sim Card and it will connect to our network.

You will have to ensure the correct APN settings are set up on the device before it will function on our network.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 in conversation