cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Hotspot

dcjack
I plan to stick around

Five years ago we bought a Rogers hotspot and signed up for the LTE Mobile Internet Flex Rate Data plan. This has worked marvelously well, and we can't imagine taking our Canadian vacations without it! But -- Rogers all too often cuts off our service, thinking that we're "exceeding our data limt".

But there is no data limit, just graduated rates, so we're paying $10/GB above 9 GB. On our most recent visit, we used 31 GB in a month, as our wireless hotspot becomes our television link. This makes for a fat monthly bill, but that's not a problem.

The problem is that Rogers, seeing usage far heavier than "normal" (when we're back in the States and using zero data), cuts off our service, and then it's a battle to get it turned on again. With our internet service cut off, how are we supposed to communicate with Rogers to tell them that all is well, there's no problem with our heavy usage?

We're about to leave for Canada again, and I'd sure like to be able to tell Rogers not to worry about a burst of heavy usage. How do I do that?

-- Jack in DC

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Hotspot

RogersZia

Good afternoon @dcjack,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm glad to know you enjoy the mobile internet service so much. May I ask how often you end up using this service?

The plan you're referring to comes with Wireless Internet Over Usage Protection. The feature is available to customers to help manage their wireless internet usage and handling of additional usage charges to help protect from “bill shock”.  Domestic data overage charges are intercepted at $50 in a billing cycle, until the customer agrees to additional charges.

Devices such as Rocket Sticks, Rocket Hubs and tablets are sent browser intercept messages when usage thresholds are reached. They are displayed as a pop-up online while the customer is browsing the internet.

You can continue to use the service without calling in by accepting the notification. If your data is cut off you're still redirected to the notification acceptance page. 

You do have the option to opt out of the notifications/intercepts. However you would have to call in to Customer Service or reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps to do so. By doing so you would essentially be agreeing to pay all data overages and related charges.

Hope this helps Robot Happy.

RogersZia

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Not totally positive I am sure what you are describing, but one thing that may be coming into play is that the CRTC has restrictions on the maximum amount of data that Rogers and other Canadian telecom companies can allow you to go forward with when out of country (roaming).

I would suggest a discussion with either communityhelps here on the forum, or start a discussion by doing a chat with the management team, or office of president, to clarify how you can best use your services given your usage patterns when away from Canada.

You may also want to look into some of the "hotspot rental" plans offered by companies in the United States and compare services and costs to determine what is best for you.

Best of luck in working this out.

It reminds me of how my brother for a long time had satellite from a Canadian company, and as a snowbird, he could take his box and satellite and hook onto his trailer once he got to Florida - then they cut it off. He was always trying to find best ways to get his phone, telephone, and wifi needs met.  It was always a challenge.  He no longer goes, so I have not paid attention to the models out there.

Hope you figure something out that best meets your needs.

Bruce

RogersZia

Good afternoon @dcjack,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm glad to know you enjoy the mobile internet service so much. May I ask how often you end up using this service?

The plan you're referring to comes with Wireless Internet Over Usage Protection. The feature is available to customers to help manage their wireless internet usage and handling of additional usage charges to help protect from “bill shock”.  Domestic data overage charges are intercepted at $50 in a billing cycle, until the customer agrees to additional charges.

Devices such as Rocket Sticks, Rocket Hubs and tablets are sent browser intercept messages when usage thresholds are reached. They are displayed as a pop-up online while the customer is browsing the internet.

You can continue to use the service without calling in by accepting the notification. If your data is cut off you're still redirected to the notification acceptance page. 

You do have the option to opt out of the notifications/intercepts. However you would have to call in to Customer Service or reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps to do so. By doing so you would essentially be agreeing to pay all data overages and related charges.

Hope this helps Robot Happy.

RogersZia

dcjack
I plan to stick around

Thank you, that certainly explains what's been happening. I hadn't heard of " Wireless Internet Over Usage Protection", but evidently that's what's been causing these "you've exceeded your data limit" alarms. 

We visit Canada two or three times a year, and every time encounter this problem. The last time was the most troublesome, as it took us some time on a phone call to get Rogers to restore the connection. More frequently I've been able to respond to the warning in time to prevent the cutoff.

I'm here now, on day one of a visit, and I'll watch to see what happens as I approach the $50 point. If it's as simple as responding to the message of warning, I can do that. 

dcjack
I plan to stick around

I'm up to 4 GB here, and so far, nothing from Rogers. Perhaps that will happen when I pass 5 GB, which won't be long.

dcjack
I plan to stick around

Closing in on 9 GB, and no word from Rogers. I guess that's good! On our July trip to Canada, we hit 30 GB. But we had to go through a telephone conversation with Rogers to get our service turned on again, after Rogers interrupted our service, worried about our data usage. We use the internet connection for lots of video, so the data usage is heavy. Been doing this for five years, and love the internet connection, which we hate to lose, even temporarily.

Hi @dcjack!

Glad to hear all is well thus far!

If you need any further assistance with your data usage, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

dcjack
I plan to stick around

I'm up to 17 GB, and not a peep from Rogers -- which is just the way I want it! So we'll owe maybe $180 this month. Won't be the first time. Rogers ought to love us. 

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 in conversation