Rocket HUB external antenna

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rocket HUB external antenna

So ive been using the rocket hub and have a average ping of 30-60 ms which is great but my signal isnt that great, had 115db with 2 bars of lte. I bought a outdoor antenna and now am getting 70-100ms ping yet have better signal with only 82db and full bars of 4g. can anyone explain the problem? do i need 2 out door antennas to work together or whats the deal? Right now im using 1 outdoor and one stock antenna or is my outdoor one not lte compatiable or whats the deal? please help 🙂

Highlighted

Hi @orangefox,

Welcome to our Community Forums!

I understand that this issue may be a bit confounding so please allow me to shed some light on it.

Adding in an extra antenna will improve your signal strength, but will create extra latency in doing so when it repeats the signal. Unfortunately, there is no way around this. With technology as it is currently, data based Internet connections tend to have higher latency than cable or fibre based Internet.

Regards,

CommunityHelps

^ch

I Plan to Stick Around

There are some links to helpful videos in this post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumpage/board-id/MobileInternet/page/1

of this thread that give good explanations for LTE dual antennas.  It looks like your signal strength improved significantly and you should have good 4G service.  I may be wrong, but it may not be using an LTE band since 4G refers to other frequencies and protocols.

What type of antenna did you add?  If it is just and external antenna and not a booster I think it should not add any latency, since an external antenna simply passes the signal to the router over a short piece of cable.

At least you have a good signal so you should have reliable service.  I had good luck when I was finally able to get help from a Rogers 2nd-level support person.  Using the phone number associated with my Rocket Hub he easily found the tower and frequency serving me and suggested a solution (dual antennas for 700MHz)  which worked.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey there thanks for your awesome reply yeah I think I got the wrong antenna! WILSON ELECTRONICS WSN311125, Dual-Band Magnet-Mount Antenna it seems it only does 800/1900. Yeah with it was a significant boost in signal because I'm able to put it outside the door but yes the ping is no good so back to the stock ones for now until I can find a lte antenna that will work. It seems you can only get them online wish I could go to a store to get one. How do I get to second level support lol
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This post in this thread outlines what I did to get 2nd level support:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/MobileInternet/message-id/3037#M...

My case was more complex than most ( a non-Rogers router PLUS trouble on Roger's tower) so it took some effort to get to the right support.  But I suspect it will not be that difficult to get 2nd level support if you supply the information outlined in the thread and ask for help in determining which tower and frequency they recommend.  You will need to go through normal support and ask for help from 2nd level.   If you provide your street address or land location and the phone number associated with the MF275R hub 2nd-level can quickly locate where you are connected.  Make sure you leave your MF275 connected because they may check your connection before calling you.

Good luck.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone have any experience with this antenna? It has almost no reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/WideAnt2-X-Antenna-Rogers-Enclosed-Polarizations/dp/B01B8F84CQ

Highlighted

Hi @phaggard,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

You've come to the right place for assistance. Lack of reviews on the link is quite discouraging. If you read the more recent posts in the thread you'll see several members of the Community have discussed different models of antennas to help with the Rocket Hub. I seem to recall you used to have a old Wilson signal booster with your  Rocket HUB, have you had a chance to upgrade the equipment?

Is anyone else in the Community familiar with the antenna @phaggard shared?

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The Wilson equipment I used to have was for an older version of the rocket hub. We bought a new ZTE MF275R form you last year and used it with only the paddle antennas it came with. It worked but was still somewhat unreliable, especially in the afternoon. I would like to try adding an antenna but I do not know which one would be the best choice.

Highlighted

Hello, @phaggard

I was browsing through this thread and observed several external antennas were discussed. Have you had a chance to go over the thread yet?

I suggest posting more details about the signal strength at the hub, closest tower(s) information etc. so that the Community can provide you some suggestions. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers rocket hub Model 3G25W-R with Yagi Antenna

Were moving to a cottage in Turkey Point, Ontario

Was wondering if Rogers rocket hub Model 3G25W-R with Yagi Antenna will work in this area and how well?
Thanks

Rick