cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rocket HUB external antenna

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I'm wondering if Rogers will ever introduce a Rocket HUB with external antenna capabilities again. My trusty old NetComm is getting aged and limited to 3G.

***Edited Labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Rocket HUB external antenna

mjl4111
I've Been Here Awhile

I just purchased and installed that kit exactly for my new Rockethub ZTE MF275.  

@Geezer wrote:

I checked out the MiMo antennas listed in Amazon and the small indoor/outdoor ones seem to be identical although the listing mentions specific Hubs targeted for their use. The antenna listed for the MF275R is this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Indoor-Outdoor-Antenna-MF275R-Rocket/dp/B0182ISUX0/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3...

It appears to have a double ended pigtail connector and comes bundled with two low-rent 30' cables which I would probably want to replace with heavier low loss cables.

I just have to consider whether the small boost in performance would be worth the $135 price tag

The cables are something I would definitely consider upgrading (the end at the hub already pulled out once, while trying to screw it on)

I extended mine with an additional 30 ft of cable, and mounted it on a mast that was already on my roof. (about 30ft off the ground)

Before I installed the external MIMO antenna, I was consistently getting 5-8Mbps down, and 1-2Mbps up, with the standard antenna's and sitting in a window facing the tower)

With the new antenna, my speeds are in the 20Mbps down, and 5Mbps up.  The fastest has been 27.63Mbps down, 6.73Mbps up  (speedof.me & speedtest.net)

My signal strength did not seem to improve,  but the speeds are well worth the investment in my installation.

ZTE MF275

approx 6Km from tower

Signal Strength -113 dBm

Geezer
I Plan to Stick Around

It is good to see someone beating the bushes on the antenna front. I too picked up the identical antenna kit from Amazon, but have not gotten around to installing it yet. I think I'll have to hire someone to do the work since I am not as agile on the roof and on a ladder as I used to be. I'll keep in touch and report on how thing go when I decide to go ahead with the work.

mmax
I'm Here A Lot

Weather permitting, I'm going to install mine (275 + Amazon kit) this weekend.  Any idea which of the 2 cables on the antenna are H vs V?  Or just keep trying?.....

mjl4111
I've Been Here Awhile

@mmax wrote:

Weather permitting, I'm going to install mine (275 + Amazon kit) this weekend.  Any idea which of the 2 cables on the antenna are H vs V?  Or just keep trying?.....

When I installed mine, I didn't worry about H or V.  I figured that if the first connection order didn't work, flipping the two cables at the ZTE would fix it.  I either got lucky all the time, or it didn't matter.

I started in the house with connecting the hub to the cables so that when I was on the roof, I could use a smartphone to test signal strength and speed before tightening everything down.  I also used this site (http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html) to help me aim the panel antenna in the general direction of the closest Rogers tower.

Luckily I have an almost ideal roof setup, so installation of this antenna, and removing all the old gear was relatively easy.

IMG_20151202_162103 (1).jpg 

I did, however, have to pull power, and the battery to reset the ZTE MF275 at one point, as it had a wireless signal, but no internet access.  That seemed to correct the communications issue.

Hope that helps...

ManicMechanic
I Plan to Stick Around

In looking at that panel antenna from amazon, I think that the internal elements are actually at 45 degrees and 90 degrees to each other.  That is they are in an "X" rather than "+" arrangement.

This would mean the H and V don't matter very much.