cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible way to get unlimited data

phlegm
I plan to stick around

Now that the CRTC has manbdated that there is a maximum $50 dollar overage charge each month for data would it be possible to do the following?

Get the smallest data plan. 500 mb I think. Share it between all family.

Use data to hearts content. Worst case I end up paying 50 dollars more which is still cheaper then the 10 gig shared plan. Seems like a win win to me.

Unlimited data for cheaper????

What do people think?

***edited labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Possible way to get unlimited data

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @phlegm

Unfortunately we don't offer unlimited data for Mobile Internet plans.

Also, the Wireless Code on Conduct you are referring to has been in place for quite some time. The effective date was December 2nd/2013 and the code was updated on June 3, 2015.

Just to clarify the overage cap for data.  You will not be charged more than $50 (or $50 x the number of line if you share data), unless you agree to continue to use the data. When you reach $50 in over usage your data is temporarily blocked until you accept the notification which indicates you agree to the charges over 50$.

RogersAsif

phlegm
I plan to stick around

Hrmmm are you saying that the fee is $50 per phone on the shared plan. If I have a family of 5 and somebody goes over the shared data limit I will be dinged $250 dollars?

Your clarification is confusing to me.

Just to clarify the overage cap for data.  You will not be charged more than $50 (or $50 x the number of line if you share data), unless you agree to continue to use the data. When you reach $50 in over usage your data is temporarily blocked until you accept the notification which indicates you agree to the charges over 50$.

So when I go over I will get a $50 charge at some point? What point is that? Then I will get a text asking if I want to keep going and then it will be $50 per device on the plan? Or is it already at $250 by the time I get the $50 warning since it's a shared plan? Also How much over the data plan is required for this to happen?

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@phlegm wrote:

Hrmmm are you saying that the fee is $50 per phone on the shared plan. If I have a family of 5 and somebody goes over the shared data limit I will be dinged $250 dollars?

If you had 5 lines the "Data Overage Intercept" which cuts of your data once you reach the limit, would kick in at $250 worth of overages($5 x $50 = $250). If you had 2 lines then the intercept would kick in at $100 and so on with different variations depending on the amount of lines added on the Shared Plan.

@phlegm wrote:
So when I go over I will get a $50 charge at some point? What point is that? Then I will get a text asking if I want to keep going and then it will be $50 per device on the plan? Or is it already at $250 by the time I get the $50 warning since it's a shared plan? Also How much over the data plan is required for this to happen?

If you only have one line you would be able to get up to $50 in overage charges before the data intercept would be applied on your account(automatic). On a cellphone, correct you would get a text indicating you have reached the cap limit and to agree to further charges you would be promoted to visit a link. Ofcourse if you have 5 lines the intercept would kick in at $250 as I have noted above. In regards to how much data over the plan is required for this to happens, it varies on the overage charge per MB/GB in accordance to your plan.

RogersAsif

phlegm
I plan to stick around

"On a cellphone, correct you would get a text indicating you have reached the cap limit and to agree to further charges you would be promoted to visit a link. Ofcourse if you have 5 lines the intercept would kick in at $250 as I have noted above."

Wow. I'm pretty sure that's not what the CRTC had in mind when they announced this overage cap. I think I'll give them a call.

Update: I have opened a complaint with the CRTC for clarification on this rule. It just doesn't seem fair to punish people with a large family more than a single user. If one user goes over the limit everybody get's punished. Seems wrong.

phlegm
I plan to stick around

I have received the following reply from the CRTC commisioner.

You are not allowed to charge a $50 fee for each phone on the plan.

In response to your inquiry, the Wireless Code of Conduct states that a service provider must suspend data overage charges once they reach $50 within a single monthly billing cycle, unless the customer expressly consents to pay additional charges. As the additional $50 is in regards to monthly billing cycle, the amount of lines attached to an account is not relevant. Once the account exceeds $50 in additional usage charges, a notification is to be provided and the data services are to be suspended.

Wondering how long it's going to take for ROGERS guy to respond now that you've shown him how it's really supposed to be billed.
I think he should a read his ROGERS billing handbook before he tried to tell us that each person on the bill will be dinged $50

Has anyone from Rogers Responded to this post?

Hello @LinkUp1!

Yes! If you look at the second post in the thread, our colleague RogersAsif responded.

Regards,

RogersCorey

EA41
I've been here awhile
I agree! It is outrageous!! And Not in the spirit of what the CRTC meant!
If Rogers does charge you overage $250 on a Shared Plan, I suggest you take it to the top Rogers' management, and to the CRTC!

mia007
I'm here a lot
Yea👌👌👌👌👌
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 in conversation