No Rocket Hubs left to support service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

No Rocket Hubs left to support service

I have a Netcom 3G hub with an external antenna which I have relied on rely on for several years for home telephone and Internet service.  A few days ago it lost Internet service and the telephone gives a busy signal.  In the past, resets have fixed problems like this.  This time, I have tried everything Rogers technical support has suggested with no success.  Rogers suggested replacing/upgrading with a new hub.

I went to the local Rogers store but they had no replacements/upgrades in stock.  I explained that we rely on the telephone service in case of emergencies, and that I need a replacement right away.  After many calls with many Rogers stores and representatives, it turns out that Rogers has no replacement hubs available in anywhere in the country!  I said I would be happy with an old one, a refurbished one or a loaner.  Nope, none of those either.  They say that a new model is coming soon, but are very vague as to when.

I was eventually passed to the "management department".   I told the "management person" that it is frankly irresponsible for a telecommunications company to purport to offer home telephone service, which many people rely on crtically, and then fail to stock adequate replacement equipment. I was told that there was nothing they could do, other than to adjust my bill.  I said I don't need an adjustment, I need my service restored.

One suggestion made to me was to get a hotspot device.  There is a reference in the product description to "voice and Internet", but it does not seem to have a telephone plug in like the rocket hub.  Does anyone know if you can use it for regular phone service?  It also does not seem to have an external attenna attachment.  If I were to put the device itself up in a tree, would the Wifi be strong enough to get to device on the ground?

Another suggestion was a wireless home phone which Rogers offers.  I would be curious to know if this would work with an external attenna, in particular the attenna I have for the Netcom hub?

After reading some of the posts, I am now concerned that the replacement hub (ZTE I think), if and when it arrives, will not be able to connect to an external attenna at all.  Which means it will be useless for me.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

I asked the "management person" if he or someone else there could look into possible solutions and get back to me.  No, he said, that is "not the way we work".

While I find it outrageous that I am having to waste my time figuring out a contingency plan because of Rogers failure to ensure continuity of supply of its equipment, and its refusal to step up and solve the problem once it has become apparent, my immediate concern is getting service back.  Any general thoughts on how I could do this as quickly as possible (and at least cost) would be most appreciated.

It may be that the only thing I can do is go to Bell and buy a new one from them. They seem to have a hub that supports an external attenna.  Not sure if mine will work with it however.  And I am not sure I can get a strong enough signal from Bell.  Some of the posts also suggest that Bell is a lot more pricey.  On the other hand, at least they know something about home telephone service!

***Edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: No Rocket Hubs left to support service

Another suggestion was a wireless home phone which Rogers offers.  I would be curious to know if this would work with an external attenna, in particular the attenna I have for the Netcom hub?

I have this wireless home phone and you don't need an external antenna.   I did have Rogers wireless internet using an Ericson with an external antenna since the tower was 9 miles away and I did have the phone service on this device.  Needless to say when the phone was being used the internet slowed down to a turtles pace.   I switched to the wireless home phone for this very reason and the fact that it is a lot less expensive and offers better features.  The darn thing can be transported to anywhere in Canada and used as long as a tower is nearby.   Check it out, order it and try it, you will think your on a landline no matter where your calls go in Canada.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I tried the wireless phone today and was just able to get a signal near the roof of the house. If it had not worked, I was going to get an external antenna connector for it from the Antennastore, but this was not needed. My phone problem is solved.

I also managed to get a signal for the hotspot (Sierra LTE card) in the same place, without connecting it to an external antenna (which would also have required a special connector). These devices clearly have better reception than the older model hubs. While this arrangement is not very convenient (I can only get wifi in the attic!), I can manage with this until the new ZTE hubs come out. Even though these new hubs may not have external antenna capability, I am hoping that they will have at least as good reception as the Sierra card, so I could put one in the attic and (unlike the hotspot) get wifi coverage for the whole house.

One suggestion I received was to solve this wifi issue was to use a Rocketstick plugged into the USB port of a wifi router. If this worked, it would solve my problem completely. But others have told me that it will not work because the software driver for the Rocketstick cannot be made to work on a router. If someone has actually made this work, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Yet another suggestion was to use a cell phone signal booster with the antenna, which would allow me to use the hotspot throughout the house. But I have heard from others that the boosters are difficult to make work properly and are expensive.

So for now I am waiting until Rogers gets new rocket hubs in.

As an aside, I am feeling much better about Rogers today. After exhausting all efforts to solve the problem through telephone discussions with technical support people, customer loyalty people and Rogers "management", I went to the Rogers corporate store in downtown Montreal. The front-line people there were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They knew what would and would not work and were prepared to get fully engaged in solving my problem. It was a very nice change.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"One suggestion I received was to solve this wifi issue was to use a Rocketstick plugged into the USB port of a wifi router. If this worked, it would solve my problem completely. But others have told me that it will not work because the software driver for the Rocketstick cannot be made to work on a router. If someone has actually made this work, I would be very interested in hearing about it."

Not all routers will work with the Rocket Stick, but some will. If you're that interested. I had one that wowrked (poke around in my posts, there aren't that many). It gets very expensive if you ave more that one user sharing a rocket stick.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/MobileInternet/message-id/924#M9...

I Plan to Stick Around

Cradlepoint (www.cradlepoint.com) makes several routers that are compatible with 3G/4G/LTE USB modems. I've used the MBR95 model and a discontinued portable model with an older Rocket Stick. Another poster to this forum recently described his experience with the MOFI 3500 router (www.mofinetwork.com). Both manufacturers provide lists of compatible USB modems on their websites. Cradlepoint is a US company and its products are feature-rich and fairly expensive. MOFI is a Canadian company with a single product that is cheaper and readily available from numerous online sources.