cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New affordable Rocket Hub plan?

Geezer
I plan to stick around

We in Rural Milton just got a community newsletter from our town counselor in which it was mentioned that new Rogers Rocket Hub plans for rural customers would soon be offered. For too long we have been hammered with ridiculously expensive data plans and have no option but to bend over and take it. But when this was mentioned it seems to give us hope that we might be getting a price break that will bring us high speed Internet at prices approaching city dwellers. As yet I have not seen any evidence of this happening any time soon. 

What is the story here? Is there any news from Rogers yet on this announced policy?

***Edited Labels***

75 REPLIES 75

Re: New affordable Rocket Hub plan?

kampkand
I plan to stick around
I just went to Rogers website and it appears that they have taken away the 100GB option!! You can now only get 5GB and then pay overage for anything over that!! Are you out of your mind!!!! So this is how Rogers responds to people complaining and asks mg for more data??? Definitely going backwards instead of forwards!! This is 2018, the data should be cheaper, not more expensive!!! This is absolutely ridiculous!!

zbign1
I plan to stick around

Wow couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. I thought they were going to make it less expensive.

Seems like they are planning to discourage customers. 

Has anyone out there had a price increase on their service? Or is the new price applicable to new customers only. I'm curious because my contract is up soon and I will be calling customer service

kco
I plan to stick around

kampkand
I plan to stick around
Thanks for pointing this out. I have also discovered the same thing. I was afraid to call them, in fear of them making me switch to this new ridiculous plan!!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@MapleBay wrote:

Flex Heavy Plans gone. My $145 bill just jumped to $260

It looks like it is time to switch to Telus. I really liked the Flex Heavy Plan as it allowed me to have good internet in my rural community and work from home. It looks like ROGERS is no longer offering the Flex heavy plan and replacing it with Fixed Heavy. The new fixed rate for the Heavy plan is $60 5GB, then $20 per additional 10GB bucket . Using 100GB on the old flex heavy plan cost $145, but now costs $260 (a whopping 79% price increase!). If I am forced to change plans to Fixed Heavy I will have to find another option. Where I live there is no option for cable or phone service, wireless is the only option.

Just checking back in, it looks like the mod removed the link I provided that linked to their competition which offers a 250GB plan for half the cost of the Rogers 100GB plan. They also moved this post to hide in under an ancient thread (with a misleading title) hoping no one will see. Really Rogers? Pathetic. 

Shameful ROGERS.

Well,although your link was removed, as per the forum use terms, we can't provide direct reference to prices, and plans as alternatives, but what you have been able to do is flag all in this situation that there are competitive solutions.

All people can call providers of these types of services and providers outside of the Rogers, at various levels - do your searching and information gathering and make the decision that meets your need the best.

I read an article (sorry, I didn't bookmark it), that commented that the Canadian companies are making their greatest profits out of increased data overages.  Mobile syrup recently published a report on the cost of overages for all companies, and the CRTC published a report that was analyzed that spoke to increasing cost of data charges and that the majority or revenue comes from data, far exceeding roaming and long distance, and that 10% of revenue is coming from overages - so the concern that people are expressing that the price of data and overages is increasing at 10 - 20% is supported in the report from the CRTC in 2017.

So it is basically incumbent on users to question whether there are alternatives - you may not be able to post them here, but there is a limited number of companies to search - just search rural wireless internet and rural internet options, you will find many options (both companies, but also distributers as well in your local area).

And it is also incumbent to take a serious look at how you use your data and how closely you use the tools, or even tools you create yourself like I saw on another thread where the person had created a spreadsheet to guide them to the data on predicted data use, as well as adding in how much data is used by plugging in data from a movie, U-Tube.

All this data is available for search, but I don't expect that one of the most significant money makers for the companies - wireless data and overages is going to be leaning in our favour - it subsidizes, not the extension of networks - I have had dead data connections in my home for over 10 years, and no new towers have arrived in 9.  They put the tower in a place where the design of 60% of the homes in our neighbourhood, we have walls between us and the tower, and we are told that we can't get a tower because they already put one in for the increasing growth - it meets the needs of those to the south, north and west of the new tower, but of not those living to east.  The location of the Rogers towers, we connect to are actually 2.5 km down the road, line of sight, all other towers are blocked.  We get 1 bar in our home. So I don't see improvements in wireless service, but that is all marketing anyway. We hear that same line every time rates climb.

So shop around, share the information around with those you know, check the other forums. And find the best offer for yourself if you can't obtain an offer that works for you from Rogers.

Take a look at the CRTC documents that provide guidance on roaming, data, additional data costs, and also note that some of these decisions that are attempting to give users more management and protection from accidental overage charges and options, are also leading to changes in the plans that are offered to us.

Good discussion, in particular for those in rural areas - there are options, and it would appear that here on the Forum, there will be no opportunity to put out too much information on alternatives, so hit Google and start searching rural and wireless internet options - don't know about satellite, but maybe that works too.

Good luck everyone in finding options that meet your needs the best possible - this area is a cash cow for the companies, so they will work hard to protect those profit margins.

Bruce

the41stside
I plan to stick around

So get this. I’m on Rogers flex heavy. I use like 200-250GB a month. Short version I had an agreement that my overage would cap at 50$. Insisted to have it written in my account notes. Because I stated to the agents multiple times on the phone... “so this is basically unlimited for 195$ plus tax.” They agreed and claimed to write it on my account file. 145$ for 100GB and 50$ of overage. This worked for 10 months roughly.

Second part of this story, hang in for me... I do tech support for my next door neighbor. Got him on flex heavy, he didn’t have the same agreement. He loves Netflix and uses it a lot. He watched over 200GB of Netflix last moth. So without notifying him, they shut his service off. He calls me, I identify that he’s been cut off. He calls Rogers angrily. Explains the deal that I get. Says he wants the same.

3rd part... About 1 minute after his angry call with Rogers tech support ends... the LTE service off the tower across the street goes out for our entire neighbourhood for 2 days. My next bill, after 10 strait months at 195$ plus tax.... 475$. Now the office of the president is investigating whilst trying to explain to me that this is NOT how overage works (50$ max). I said, tell that to your retention agents that agreed to it. Still under investigation, I will update after in this thread. Shady shady bad bad business.

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

Just for the sake of curiosity  is anyone  following up  with the CRTC to see why this was done in such  a ridiculous manner.  To look at the pricing above, why in your right mind would you consider that there  should be overage  before you get to the $145 dollar level ?  

I'm certainly not saying that Rogers shouldn't take a lot of responsibility for clarifying and notifying customers of what is going on or even lobbying to have that section of the code redone in a logical fashion ....but wow  ,why was that rule written by the CRTC, that way in the first place ?  It doesn't appear to be protecting anyone from potential gouging from overage exceeding the $145 level . ...just baffling . 

user12343543
I plan to stick around

Any update on your overage woes?

@the41stsidewrote:

So get this. I’m on Rogers flex heavy. I use like 200-250GB a month. Short version I had an agreement that my overage would cap at 50$. Insisted to have it written in my account notes. Because I stated to the agents multiple times on the phone... “so this is basically unlimited for 195$ plus tax.” They agreed and claimed to write it on my account file. 145$ for 100GB and 50$ of overage. This worked for 10 months roughly.

Second part of this story, hang in for me... I do tech support for my next door neighbor. Got him on flex heavy, he didn’t have the same agreement. He loves Netflix and uses it a lot. He watched over 200GB of Netflix last moth. So without notifying him, they shut his service off. He calls me, I identify that he’s been cut off. He calls Rogers angrily. Explains the deal that I get. Says he wants the same.

3rd part... About 1 minute after his angry call with Rogers tech support ends... the LTE service off the tower across the street goes out for our entire neighbourhood for 2 days. My next bill, after 10 strait months at 195$ plus tax.... 475$. Now the office of the president is investigating whilst trying to explain to me that this is NOT how overage works (50$ max). I said, tell that to your retention agents that agreed to it. Still under investigation, I will update after in this thread. Shady shady bad bad business.

scous
I've been here awhile

Please expand Rocket Hub Internet Flex Rate Data Tiers

I live in what I'd call a semi-rural area (about 8 minutes drive outside the small town of Carleton Place Ontario). The only reliable internet service I can get for my home is by using the Rocket Hub on Rogers' wireless network but the 100GB maximum tier is too low and each month I am going beyond it and into the $5/GB range. Can Rogers please add more tiers above 100GB to the Flex Rate system. Consider adding tiers that go up to 200GB; for example, 125GB, 150GB, 175GB, & 200GB. 

scous
I've been here awhile

Can someone in Rogers please respond to this; the 100GB tier must be increased. I've called Rogers 3 times since the COVID-19 / mandatory work-from-home situation started to ask for help with this matter. I've been offered bonus data and discounts to mitigate this problem but I still foresee an upcoming $440 bill for my internet because my wife and I must work from home and my children must attend school remotely. Rogers please help.

Click here for details
Rogers please help.

BillKmet
I've been here awhile

Agreed higher tiers at reasonable prices, or some form of unlimited would be incredibly helpful.

Doogie5
I've been here awhile

Can you activate old phone to use as a hot spot? Or is a mobile stick better?

Hello @doogie,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your first post! We hope you've been keeping safe and well! 🙂

In answer to your query, I think you'd have to weigh out your options to determine what would be best for your individual needs. You would want to take into consideration things like budget and usage. To help you make a more informed decision, here are some of the options we have available:

You may purchase a Rocket Hub/Mobile Hotspot outright, for $0 down on one of our financing plans OR bring your own Rocket Hub/Mobile Hotspot/Rocket Stick. Then, you'll need to activate a new line with one of our Mobile Internet Flex Rate plans. We offer light, heavy, and super heavy coverage options depending on your needs. You may CLICK HERE to view the device pricing/financing and plan options available.

If you already have a shared talk, text and data plan with an existing Rogers wireless device, you also have the option to activate a new line with your Mobile Hotspot/Rocket Stick (Rocket Hubs do not qualify) and SHARE the existing wireless data plan for $10/month + taxes. 

As an alternative, you may activate a BYOD line with an existing cellphone on one of our Rogers Infinite plans (starting as low as $75/month (plus taxes) for 10GB) and try using it as a hotspot as you've mentioned. You may CLICK HERE to view our Rogers Infinite price plan options. 

I hope this helps you with your decision on which direction to go in. 👍

Cheers!

RogersLaura

Topic Stats