cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New affordable Rocket Hub plan?

Geezer
I plan to stick around

We in Rural Milton just got a community newsletter from our town counselor in which it was mentioned that new Rogers Rocket Hub plans for rural customers would soon be offered. For too long we have been hammered with ridiculously expensive data plans and have no option but to bend over and take it. But when this was mentioned it seems to give us hope that we might be getting a price break that will bring us high speed Internet at prices approaching city dwellers. As yet I have not seen any evidence of this happening any time soon. 

What is the story here? Is there any news from Rogers yet on this announced policy?

***Edited Labels***

75 REPLIES 75

Re: New affordable Rocket Hub plan?

I have been a loyal Rogers Rocket  Hub Internet customer since 2011, I was paying $90+ tax for 20 gig monthly usage and every gig I went over I paid an extra 10 dollars. I put up with that for 5 years until I found out about the newer 100.00 Gigs for 145.00+ tax package.  

I still believe Rocket Hub customers are getting hosed and there should be no reason or excuse that Rogers cannot offer us Rocket Hub users a fairer and  better usage plan, like seriously it is almost 2018 ! 

If we could get 500 Gigs usage for 110.00 + tax a month I wouldn't be complaining.  

I think I'm going to start looking at other options, The Lack of effort on Rogers' part is starting to get a bit annoying and frustrating.

kampkand
I plan to stick around
I completely agree with you! We are definitely getting hosed!! I have the $145 package and keep going over. We have a family of 6, which works out to about 500MB/ person per day.

I have called them a few times asking for more data, and they just simply will not give it to us.

It’s extremely frustrating, when their 250GB cable internet is $70 and they get 1.5 times the data then we do, for half the price. I know that we have a premium service, but it’s all we can get!! I would even pay the $145 for even 250GB, would prefer 500, but 250 would be an excellent start.

ljbca
I've been here awhile

We need a 250GB/500GB plan option Rogers - at least

Telus has a way better offer!

kampkand
I plan to stick around

Yes we absolutely do need more data!!! But unfortunately they don’t care!! Try submitting a complaint to the CRTC, maybe the more complaints we have, something might be done.

Geezer
I plan to stick around

Everyone who feels strongly about rural people being hosed by Internet providers should contact their local town council members. Here in rural North Halton our reps are sounding out all the providers that service our area and trying to persuade them to send some of the enormous excess bandwidth they have at their disposal our way.

Now it is time for Rogers to step up to the plate!

kampkand
I plan to stick around
I’m in the Halton Hills area and there is the survey about rural internet as well. I have tried Standard Broadband, but I needed a 75’ free standing tower at a cost of $7000. Xplornet is useless, I have had there satellite internet before, they also still have a 100GB limit but they don’t charge for going over, they just slow it down.

Hey folks!

Although we do encourage the conversation here, let's be wary of our Community Guidelines. Please try to avoid overtly promoting any kind of product or service.

To review our Community Guidelines please refer to this link: Community Guidelines and always remember that you can find our most up to date offerings here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Geezer
I plan to stick around

I guess my message indeed sounded like a promotion. Sorry, it is unintended. I can't promote Standard Broadband because I have not even tried it yet and have no idea whether it is even a viable alternative to Rogers. On the other hand, Rogers may be costly in terms data use, but from my perspective it is extremely reliable and fairly fast (not nearly in the same ball park as fibre optic cable mind you, but fast enough for my needs). If they would only lower the cost of data overruns or offer a plan that is more attractive for heavy users in rural areas I'd be a very happy camper.

Hi @Geezer!

The above post wasn't directed at anyone in particular. This thread has been trending in that direction for awhile now! Just trying to steer it back on topic 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

kampkand
I plan to stick around
@Geerer I completely understand how Rogers doesn’t want people promoting other services, but you have to understand people in rural areas are very limited in what we have to choose from. I have no problem with the speed, but as a family of 6, 100GB goes by pretty quickly!! As we, or I’m, asking for is more data! It’s costing me on average $200+ per month and Rogers won’t do anything about it, and they could easily do that.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

If you find that you are unable to have this important discussion about your services, a very discussion that the government and CRTC are promoting, but while you are waiting, you are just looking for options.

You could take the discussion over to Digital Home, maybe @57 could suggest the best category over there, or maybe take it to the lounge for more open discussion.

Bruce

zbign1
I plan to stick around

I agree they could do something about it but they won't because in the grand scheme of things there are not enough of us. But! This also means that giving us more gbs will not cost them much in the long run. Still every time I inquire I get the same old tired excuse. Cellular is expensive to run, the system is still getting built out. In my area alone the same 5 towers have been here in the last 15 years. No building going on in my area.

Unfortunately, in the Canadian market with the limited number of players, providers can all act as one. All we can do as consumers is what we do right here in this forum. Continue to question the price of what we are getting. 

Personally I would prefer a set limit of bandwidth in the range of 300 to 500 gb. The flex plan is a problem when considering the tiers. You pay more per gb when you use less. In the top tier if you use 99gb your price per gb is $1.45 If you use 51 gb you are in the same tier your price is 2.84 per gb. Over the years with this pricing method I have become suspicious over who benefits the most. I'm thinking now it's not the consumer.

goodburgerpizza
I plan to stick around

Yeah I am also sick and tired of all of the excuses. It's almost 2018, The Rocket Hub data plan hasn't been updated in over 2 years. It's time that we were given a fair plan. 100 GB for $145.00 + Tax is way to high !

Rogers offer a plan that is more affordable with better data usage, if we were getting 500 GB usage per month for $145.00 then the price point wouldn't be bad. 145.00 dollars monthly for a 100 GB is excessive

Dear ROGERS I think its about time for a better priced/usage plan for the Rocket Hub.

kampkand
I plan to stick around
I completely agree!! 500GB would be a great start!! But don’t hold your breath!! My and I have called Rogers several times, and it’s the same old story, they will pass it on, but nothing ever changes!! Extremely frustrating!!

kampkand
I plan to stick around
You are absolutely correct! The tier system is rigged so that you will use more data, to get the best value, until you go over!! With their useless data tracker with a 12 hour delay!! It’s definitely the consumer that gets hosed!

And seriously, if you are in a rural area with not a lot of people, how many people are going to be using this cell service?? Ridiculous!!

Piddgy8
I've been around

Im in Shelburne and Bell offers a plan for rural people, about 2 years now and it's $59/month for 100GB, awesom compared to what I was paying with Rogers. I'M PRETTY SURE YOU HAVE TO GO INTO YOUR LOCAL STORE TO GET IT. 

kampkand
I plan to stick around
Oh really, that’s very interesting. My neighbour has talked with Bell and they are only offering the same deal as Rogers. I will have to check that out. The $220 I keep paying Rogers is getting ridiculous. I wouldn’t complain so much if I only had more data.... Rogers???!

i just called the bell store in my area and was told in was only offered in some areas. hopefully rogers follows suite or makes changes to their pricing for everyone

Badreau
I've been here awhile

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here, rural customer and heavy data user of ~200 GB a month which ends up being $500 in overages at $5/GB.  I suggest others try contacting the Office of the President as their overage charges are ridiculous. It jumps 3.5x the rate of $1.45/GB when you max out their heavy usage plan. In my opinion overages should hold this rate or even be a further discount when going over 100 GB.

One workaround I have found (and verified with Rogers that I am free to do so if I choose), is to purchase a second SIM card and swap out SIMs as soon as I hit the 100 GB limit on the first. In this scenario I can have 200 GB for $290 instead of $645. I plan to do this next month.

Flex Heavy Plans gone. My $145 bill just jumped to $260

It looks like it is time to switch to Telus. I really liked the Flex Heavy Plan as it allowed me to have good internet in my rural community and work from home. It looks like ROGERS is no longer offering the Flex heavy plan and replacing it with Fixed Heavy. The new fixed rate for the Heavy plan is $60 5GB, then $20 per additional 10GB bucket . Using 100GB on the old flex heavy plan cost $145, but now costs $260 (a whopping 79% price increase!). If I am forced to change plans to Fixed Heavy I will have to find another option. Where I live there is no option for cable or phone service, wireless is the only option.

Just checking back in, it looks like the mod removed the link I provided that linked to their competition which offers a 250GB plan for half the cost of the Rogers 100GB plan. They also moved this post to hide in under an ancient thread (with a misleading title) hoping no one will see. Really Rogers? Pathetic. 

Shameful ROGERS.

goodburgerpizza
I plan to stick around

This is a Joke right ?

$145 for 100 GB was bad enough but this is just highway robbery !!!! You would think they would make the plans better but they are going backwards.

Hey Rogers it's not our FAULT you wasted Billions of Dollars on NHL broadcasting rights !

I am calling ROGERS right now to complain ! I just checked the competitions website and their plan is still $145.00 for a 100GB, looks like I will be switching.

Topic Stats