New Flex Rate Plans for Mobile Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Flex Rate Plans for Mobile Internet

Flex Plans for Heavier Users since June? I am still on the old tier $60 minimum month by month contract. My last bill was $140 for just under 25G and it's now December. I've corresponded with their customer service earlier this year and told I'm on the best plan available for mobile internet (rural area) .

So Rogers has been pocketing the difference in approved rates since June?

What gives?

I Plan to Stick Around

It took quite a bit of lobbying to get signed up for the new plan; I was told the new plan applies only to LTE-capable devices and for some reason my ZTE MF28B hadn't been flagged as an LTE device.  It was worth the effort, though.  Finally getting predictable bills and not-outrageous costs.  If you haven't got an LTE device, it might be worth signing up for one just to get the plan.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah thanks Wellington that is indeed the ZTE hub I have. I called Rogers soon after my last post and they put me on the new rate plan and recalculated by billing back to the rate change date. Very commendable of them to admit the oversight, I was impressed and very pleased with the new plan limits.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Sierra Aircard. Originally, I don't think the new rate plan specified a device, now it says for Hub only. We have a trailer up north where we spend the summer. There is no cable internet available and I have been using the Aircard on the former flex plan, and it works well (except for the worry of how much data are we using). Would love to get the heavy use plan for the 5 months that we are there. Is it possible to get with the Aircard?  I don't really want to have to buy a new device. I purchased the Aircard outright, because I was not on any long term plan.

I Plan to Stick Around

The new flex rate plans introduced around June 2015 have not changed.   The Heavier Usage plan (now called Flex Heavy) with tiers between $60 and $145 was always limited to Hub devices.   The header "Rate Plans for Hubs" is cropped in the screenshot posted earlier in this thread.

In 2013 I attempted to have a Hub Flex Rate Plan attached to a RocketStick.   The Rogers customer agent was willing, but advised me that her system wouldn't allow her to make the assignment.

That said, you have nothing to lose by attempting the same yourself.

I have never seen an explanation from Rogers for the logic of not providing this same heavier usage plan for other mobile Internet devices.

I Plan to Stick Around

I switched from my previous provider to Rogers' Flex Heavy plan last August.  My previous provider went to 15 GB for $90/month with horrendous charges after that.  They would not even switch to 20GB for $90 to match the Rogers heavy use plan.  Mobile internet is the only viable option for my location.  Rogers Flex Heavy plan has allowed us to subscribe to Netflix.  We use Netlix standard definition to keep our usage under the $110/50 GB limit.

I too have wondered why they restrict the heavy use plan to hubs and can imagine a few possibilities:

1. It is easier to forecast and manage cell tower loading. The Rocket Hub is bulkier and more likely to be used in a fixed location.

2. If used in a fixed location for home internet it likely has heavier traffic volumes before or after normal commercial commercial business hours--people are less likely to take the hub to the office or to school as they would a Rocket Stick.

3. A second advantage of the hub's less-portable nature (for Rogers) is people are directed to more expensive cell phone data plans for out of home data needs.

Rogers Flex Heavy Plan is far superior to competitors.  We appreciate that because we can enjoy internet services that would otherwise be impractical for our location.  That said, the Rocket Hub has a good battery backup system so it is portable.

We appreciate the battery backup for a different reason. We have fairly regular power outages (one every 3 or 4 months) and can use the internet to check the status with BC Hydro and/or net surf during the outage.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your feedback. Yeah, I was going to go to the Rogers store when 

I got there. I thought I might get farther in person than on the phone. But 

I thought I would check here to see if anyone had success with it. Failing that, maybe they would let me trade in the Aircard towards a hub.

I'm Here A Lot

how many gb does the $10 plan come with? it doesn't say it jsut shows a stupid graph chart. just put how many GB in bold lettering. useles charts nobody uses. 

I Plan to Stick Around

It looks like the Flex Light $10 limit is 100 MBytes (0.1 GB).  It is hard to imagine not exceeding that for a month of Rocket Hub use.  I suppose it is simply a minimum to keep the account "live" during non-use periods.

I've Been Around

it's now two years later and they need to update their plan with a higher threshold before hitting "overages" .  in my household where there's three of us we easily hit 100mb every month and those overage charges of $5/GB add up really quickly.   why we're punished for living outside of a town is beyond me.  

Topic Stats