Mobile Internet Slow Download Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dfinch416
I've Been Around

Mobile Internet Slow Download Speeds

We just got a new ZTE MF279 RocketHub and are having issues with slow download speeds (less than 1 mbs at most times). We have a strong signal (-85 db) but the Rogers tech said that the towers near us (GPS 45.5559, -80.4856 and 45.6135, -80.3845) are functioning and that the issue is simply congestion. Everyone near us is having the same issue - is there a process to request an upgrade to the network capacity at the towers?  Rural internet users really are at a big disadvantage trying to work from home.

*Added Labels*

Revvv
I've Been Around

Re: Mobile Internet Slow Download Speeds

MF279T slow speeds

I recently installed a Rocket hub for an onsite office trailer. The Rocket hub has an excellent signal strength of -84db but what i dont have is any download speed. I get less than 1mb/s while uploads are decent at near 30 mb/s. any help on how to solve this issue. i also have an issue where i have no internet for periods of time. i usually enter the hub settings and turn off and back on again LTE and this will resolve no connection issue but still poor downloads. My laptop is hardwired to the hub.

RogersMoin

Hello, @Dfinch416.

Thank you for posting your concern and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Working from home can be challenging at slow speeds. Have you tried an Ethernet connection to see if the speed improves?

I'm assuming the tech support has submitted a ticket on your behalf. However, I suggest you as well submit the network feedback through MyNetwork tool available both on the web and in the MyRogers app. 

Our technical teams will review your feedback to identify and resolve service outages. Your feedback will also be reviewed by our planning teams to prioritize future network enhancements. 

Edit: @Revvv, welcome to our Community. It seems you are experiencing the exact issue, as reported earlier by @Dfinch416. Your laptop is hardwired to the hub, but still seeing download speed less than 1 Mbps is quite strange. 

We can submit a ticket on your behalf so the issue can be investigated, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Also, don't forget to submit the feedback, as suggested above.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

alanvmills
I've Been Here Awhile

I live in a rural area NW of Toronto, near Hockley Village. I’ve been a Rogers residential client for over 10 years, currently using a MF279T hub, receiving mediocre reception off a tower near Hwy 9 and 50.

I’ve tried using the included antennae but they actually appear to reduce signal strength indicated on the hub from 3 down to 2 bars.

My ‘normal’ speeds are 2-5 MB’s down and .9-3 MB’s up. With many now either working or schooling from home, I find reception/connection reduces as the day passes by.

Recently, Bell and ViaNet moved to a new, higher tower at our municipal Adjala Works yard 3 km’s from my house. Bell’s Rural Broadband would be the answer but, .... there’s too many trees ( and no, I won’t be cutting them all down )  to receive any useable signal.
Where’s Rogers?

I’d like to see more competitive options in as far as available Gb packages and, a much stronger signal broadcast for us rural users.

There’s one neighbour a km away who has to take her 3 kids homework lesson responses on her cell phone to a clear area to get internet reception so she can email their work and receive updates in return.

Today, this has got to be totally unacceptable and inexcusable..

Please provide us rural Ontario users an acceptable solution.

regards,

Alan

RogersTony

Hello, @alanvmills

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Congrats on your first post. 🙂

I can understand your concern with the difficulties you've experienced staying connected in rural areas.

We are working towards improving the connectivity in rural areas in Canada. You can read more about it in one of our recent blogs located here.

RogersTony

alanvmills
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the swift update, Tony .... but, I’m NW of Toronto between Bradford and Orangeville, a rural farming area, rolling hills, many trees..... which effectively block  Bell Rural Broadband reception.

I understand, that’s my problem, nothing that Rogers can do to remedy that.

But! Are you on or plan to be on that particular tower ?

During a community meeting last February, it was suggested that Rogers ‘may follow Bell’.

Why is a private telco, ViaNet laying fibre on roads close to us but not on our road for 15 - 36 months ?

Where are our tax dollars being spent?

.... sorry, I’m venting but it’s all I’ve got. I’ve been asking Rogers for over 10 years When & IF they’ll ever provide an affordable WiFi service in our area. 
$120+  tax for 50 Gb is barely affordable for me.  Many of my neighbours are in the same boat.

A little data for a lot of money.

Today, more residents are working / schooling from home..... which reduces my down ‘n up speeds.... at times through the day, dial up service would be almost better.

Could Rogers Marketing offer rural residential clients a similar pricing that you’ve indicated for SW Ontario... $69 for 100 Gb ?

I’d  be blowing your trumpet up and down our road if that could be accomplished !

Rogers would gain ( poach ) a number of additional thankful users.

🙂

Regards,

Alan

RogersCorey

Thank you for your feedback @alanvmills!

I do apologize but I don't have any additional information to share regarding potential services coming to your area and I cannot speak with regards to what our competitors such as ViaNet are doing in your area.

We have been sending out text messages to customers who are in an area where Rogers Internet 25 is available. For service availability, you can contact 1-844-256-0052 directly.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Audreez
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi. My device loses signal for long stretches several times a day. Sometimes it’s not a 30mins and other times over 2 hours. Why is this and how can it be resolved?

RogersCorey

Hello and welcome to our Community @Audreez!

Losing connection for upwards of hours a day certainly isn't normal. You've come to the right place for help.

Do you find that rebooting your device fixes this or does it not help at all? Are you losing connection everywhere you carry the device or is it just happening at a specific location?

Regards,

RogersCorey

Audreez
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi. I do not move the device around, no. And we have to reboot several times a day.