cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Internet Slow Download Speeds

Dfinch416
I've been around

We just got a new ZTE MF279 RocketHub and are having issues with slow download speeds (less than 1 mbs at most times). We have a strong signal (-85 db) but the Rogers tech said that the towers near us (GPS 45.5559, -80.4856 and 45.6135, -80.3845) are functioning and that the issue is simply congestion. Everyone near us is having the same issue - is there a process to request an upgrade to the network capacity at the towers?  Rural internet users really are at a big disadvantage trying to work from home.

*Added Labels*

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Mobile Internet Slow Download Speeds

Revvv
I've been around

MF279T slow speeds

I recently installed a Rocket hub for an onsite office trailer. The Rocket hub has an excellent signal strength of -84db but what i dont have is any download speed. I get less than 1mb/s while uploads are decent at near 30 mb/s. any help on how to solve this issue. i also have an issue where i have no internet for periods of time. i usually enter the hub settings and turn off and back on again LTE and this will resolve no connection issue but still poor downloads. My laptop is hardwired to the hub.

RogersMoin

Hello, @Dfinch416.

Thank you for posting your concern and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Working from home can be challenging at slow speeds. Have you tried an Ethernet connection to see if the speed improves?

I'm assuming the tech support has submitted a ticket on your behalf. However, I suggest you as well submit the network feedback through MyNetwork tool available both on the web and in the MyRogers app. 

Our technical teams will review your feedback to identify and resolve service outages. Your feedback will also be reviewed by our planning teams to prioritize future network enhancements. 

Edit: @Revvv, welcome to our Community. It seems you are experiencing the exact issue, as reported earlier by @Dfinch416. Your laptop is hardwired to the hub, but still seeing download speed less than 1 Mbps is quite strange. 

We can submit a ticket on your behalf so the issue can be investigated, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Also, don't forget to submit the feedback, as suggested above.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

alanvmills
I've been here awhile

I live in a rural area NW of Toronto, near Hockley Village. I’ve been a Rogers residential client for over 10 years, currently using a MF279T hub, receiving mediocre reception off a tower near Hwy 9 and 50.

I’ve tried using the included antennae but they actually appear to reduce signal strength indicated on the hub from 3 down to 2 bars.

My ‘normal’ speeds are 2-5 MB’s down and .9-3 MB’s up. With many now either working or schooling from home, I find reception/connection reduces as the day passes by.

Recently, Bell and ViaNet moved to a new, higher tower at our municipal Adjala Works yard 3 km’s from my house. Bell’s Rural Broadband would be the answer but, .... there’s too many trees ( and no, I won’t be cutting them all down )  to receive any useable signal.
Where’s Rogers?

I’d like to see more competitive options in as far as available Gb packages and, a much stronger signal broadcast for us rural users.

There’s one neighbour a km away who has to take her 3 kids homework lesson responses on her cell phone to a clear area to get internet reception so she can email their work and receive updates in return.

Today, this has got to be totally unacceptable and inexcusable..

Please provide us rural Ontario users an acceptable solution.

regards,

Alan

Hello, @alanvmills

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Congrats on your first post. 🙂

I can understand your concern with the difficulties you've experienced staying connected in rural areas.

We are working towards improving the connectivity in rural areas in Canada. You can read more about it in one of our recent blogs located here.

RogersTony

alanvmills
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the swift update, Tony .... but, I’m NW of Toronto between Bradford and Orangeville, a rural farming area, rolling hills, many trees..... which effectively block  Bell Rural Broadband reception.

I understand, that’s my problem, nothing that Rogers can do to remedy that.

But! Are you on or plan to be on that particular tower ?

During a community meeting last February, it was suggested that Rogers ‘may follow Bell’.

Why is a private telco, ViaNet laying fibre on roads close to us but not on our road for 15 - 36 months ?

Where are our tax dollars being spent?

.... sorry, I’m venting but it’s all I’ve got. I’ve been asking Rogers for over 10 years When & IF they’ll ever provide an affordable WiFi service in our area. 
$120+  tax for 50 Gb is barely affordable for me.  Many of my neighbours are in the same boat.

A little data for a lot of money.

Today, more residents are working / schooling from home..... which reduces my down ‘n up speeds.... at times through the day, dial up service would be almost better.

Could Rogers Marketing offer rural residential clients a similar pricing that you’ve indicated for SW Ontario... $69 for 100 Gb ?

I’d  be blowing your trumpet up and down our road if that could be accomplished !

Rogers would gain ( poach ) a number of additional thankful users.

🙂

Regards,

Alan

Thank you for your feedback @alanvmills!

I do apologize but I don't have any additional information to share regarding potential services coming to your area and I cannot speak with regards to what our competitors such as ViaNet are doing in your area.

We have been sending out text messages to customers who are in an area where Rogers Internet 25 is available. For service availability, you can contact 1-844-256-0052 directly.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Audreez
I've been here awhile

Hi. My device loses signal for long stretches several times a day. Sometimes it’s not a 30mins and other times over 2 hours. Why is this and how can it be resolved?

Hello and welcome to our Community @Audreez!

Losing connection for upwards of hours a day certainly isn't normal. You've come to the right place for help.

Do you find that rebooting your device fixes this or does it not help at all? Are you losing connection everywhere you carry the device or is it just happening at a specific location?

Regards,

RogersCorey

Audreez
I've been here awhile

Hi. I do not move the device around, no. And we have to reboot several times a day.

Thank you for clarifying.

I'd like to look into this further for you to find out why your mobile service is degraded.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

alanvmills
I've been here awhile

It’s been awhile since my last query re: ‘better/improved’ Internet service in my area ( NW of Toronto near Hockley Village and Loretto ON )

What is Rogers doing to keep their customer base in this area ?

My current average down ‘n up is 3-7 & .9-3.

WHEN will this area be upgraded ?

Hello, @alanvmills

Thank you for posting your inquiry to the community.

We're disappointed to hear that you are still experiencing issues with your wireless service. Have you reported the slow speed issues you're experiencing with our MyNetwork tool? You can find it located in the MyRogers app. Simply tap on support then MyNetwork and you can report connectivity issues based on your geographical location. You can find the specific steps by clicking here.

Once it has been reported it will be sent to our wireless network operations teams to investigate the connection problems.

We appreciate your patience regarding the slow speeds you've been experiencing.

RogersTony

chomyn
I plan to stick around

I recently purchased a ZTE MF279 Smart Hub. I have been vacationing in Port Maitland and the Dunnville area. I was experiencing the same slow LTE speeds. Bars looked fine, showed LTE available, calling and texting seemed to be fine, but data was usable. The speed was less than 1 mbps. The "free Wi-Fi" that was provided I had was Xplorenet which was equally as bad and/or worse. I was having the same speed issues from my iPhone, iPad, and my wife's Samsung Phone, so I know it wasn't a device issue.

After a lot of experimenting and googling around, I found if I manually switched to "Rogers EXT" and with proper placement in my cottage, it gave me much faster speed around 10mbps to 15mpbs, this is their extended coverage which roams off the Bell and Telus towers. This may take some configurating tweaking, so my steps may not work the best for you depending on what area you are in. Keep in mind this meant for occasional use and not to be used for long term as you could be blocked if the majority use does not come from the Rogers network directly. I am not sure of the usage limits, but I would double check with Rogers or if a moderator can post a message stating the exact allowable limits before going long term.

I was able to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, use my laptop, and everything worked my my phone great. It's not blazing gigabit speed fast like it is back home, but it's actually useable and works good with multiple devices. This helped so much. You can notice if it is roaming if the signal bars are flashing green or blue. Just make sure you switch it back when you get back in a strong Rogers network area.

I really hope this helps someone as it saved me and my son a lot of agony not being able to use data when in a very rural area. 

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 in conversation