Mobile Hotspots

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Mobile Hotspots

Running an AC763S hotspot here, and works fine. But it is 7 years old, and now the Rogers device seems to be the Novatel MiFi 7000. Question: is there any benefit to upgrading to the newer device?

*** Edited Labels ***

Re: Mobile Hotspots

Hello, @dcjack

Deciding to get a new piece of equipment can be an exciting time, especially if it's been 7 years since you upgraded your Hotspot device!

I will be more than happy to provide you with some information on the benefits of upgrading to a newer device. There are three main differences between these two devices that I would like to highlight for you; battery life, speeds, and Wi-Fi technology.

1. The battery life in your current unit is only 2000 mAh which will give you about up to 6 hours of use if the battery is healthy. The Novatel has a 4400 mAh battery and is a far more efficient unit with a battery life of up to 24 hours and it has Quick Charge with USB Type-C.

2. The AC763S can only achieve maximum download speeds of up to 100 Mbps. The Novatel is capable of speeds of up to 337.7 Mbps using LTE Cat 9 which is over 3 times faster.

3. The AC763S only supports 2.4 G Wi-Fi and up to 10 devices can connect at a time. The Novatel supports 2.4 G and 5 G Wi-Fi and up to 15 users can connect at the same time. 5 G Wi-Fi is significantly faster than the 2.4 G and it less susceptible to interference from other devices using the 2.4 G bands.

The Novatel is definitely a much more advanced device. I personally haven't used either of these devices but if there are users in the Community who have experience with them feel free to chime in! =)

RogersTony

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Mobile Hotspots

I'm not convinced that this is going to make any difference, given our location -- distant, with marginal Rogers service -- but I bought the new hotspot anyway, at Rogers in Barrie. We'll be back in Canada in a couple of months, and then we'll see if there's any noticeable improvement.