cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF275R and battery status.

Henry1
I've been here awhile

I have a new MF275R hub. It seems to work quite well except for one issue: the battery indicator always show 3 to 4% on ZTELink. Does anyone have a working battery indicator on either the web interface or an iOS device? If so, then I have a defective unit and will need to replace it within my 15 day return period. Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: MF275R and battery status.

Henry1
I've been here awhile

It is just a bug in the ZTElink iOS app. The battery light on the device itself seems to work fine and battery life is reasonable (2.5 hrs to 20% left in heavy usage).

It appears that the iOS app shows battery status as "2%" when it means "2 bars" (out of 4). When fully charged the app shows "4%" in red, implying that the battery is nearly empty.

This is a minor problem. I have a sent an e-mail to ZTE support describing it (and other bugs) in detail.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Henry1

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Have you checked the battery indicator after a full charge or while the HUB is plugged into an outlet?

If you continue to get such low reading on the battery indicator, you might have a fault HUB and would be best to exchange the device.

Let us know how things work out.

@RogersPrasana

Henry1
I've been here awhile

When plugged into power the battery light on the device is steady green, which is somewhat confusingly "More than 50% discharging (charger not present)" in the Quick Start Guide. But the status on the Web UI and ZTELink is only 3 to 4%. I'm going to run it on battery for awhile to see how long it lasts.

I'm trying to decide whether this is a hardware problem with the device or battery, or just a software problem with how the battery status is reported. That's why I'm asking if the battery status indicator is working correctly for other people. If it is, I have a defective unit. If it isn't working for anyone, then it is either a software problem or all units are defective.

Henry1
I've been here awhile

It is just a bug in the ZTElink iOS app. The battery light on the device itself seems to work fine and battery life is reasonable (2.5 hrs to 20% left in heavy usage).

It appears that the iOS app shows battery status as "2%" when it means "2 bars" (out of 4). When fully charged the app shows "4%" in red, implying that the battery is nearly empty.

This is a minor problem. I have a sent an e-mail to ZTE support describing it (and other bugs) in detail.

Geezer
I plan to stick around

I have only had my MF275R running for today but my battery indicator is totally nuts! It shows solid red even though it has been plugged in for several hours. When I pull the cord out it turns amber but it is never green.

Is there some kind of problem with the batteries supplied with the hub?

Henry1
I've been here awhile

My LED battery indicator on the MF275R hub is green. It stays green when I unplug the power so that the hub is running on its battery.

I would do the following tests: 

1. Make sure the power outlet is working by plugging a light into it (or using a voltmeter).
  2. Make sure the power adapter is working by plugging it into 120V power and using a voltmeter to verify 12 volts DC at the other end.
  3. Take the back off and make sure the battery is properly inserted in the correct orientation. (I don't think it is possible to insert it incorrectly. It has plastics tabs that should only fit one way.)
  4. Log into the hub from a PC and check the battery status in your browser. Is it consistent with the hub's lights?
  5. Try rebooting the device to see if it fixes the problem.
  6. See how long it will run on battery power. It should last about 3 hours under heavy use (in my experience).

If none of this corrects the problem I would return the unit for a replacement. Where I am, I have 15 days.

Geezer
I plan to stick around

Thanks, I left it charging overnight and it is total green now. I tend to be a bit impatient about things like this.

Geezer
I plan to stick around

I have been using my new Rocket Hub quite a lot since I picked it up at the Rogers store and I experimented with placement and signal strength readings. Now I am done with doing this and I have decided to permanently install the Hub by hanging it on an external wall of my office plugged in. I have a concern about battery life when the Hub is constantly on charge. In fact I have no use for the battery as it will only be used where I have installed it and will not be moved around. Can I just remove the battery and leave the Hub plugged in without it? There is no mention of this option in the accompanying instructions.

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @Geezer

I don't see why it would be an issue as I have other electronics that can do this. If the owners manual doesn't indicate not to do this, I would presume it's ok. Try it out and let us know!

Maybe you could trying getting in touch with ZTE directly? Whats everyone else in the Community thoughts on this? 

Feel free to chime in Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

icemice
I've been here awhile

The battery makes this an uninterruptible power supply I love that my network doesn't crash when the lights flicker or power goes completely out my laptop and I surf the net with no problem. I recommend leaving the battery in 

TylerM13
I've been here awhile

As with ALL electronic devices of any kind? I always check them for heat. If they are too warm? It's best to shut them down for awhile and let them cool to get more life out of anything. Obviously a hub doesn't produce the same kind of heat a CPU will but as with anything running for any extended amount of time? Best to check. If the hub is hot to the touch? May be best to shut it off. Li-Ion and other batteries can be a significant fire hazard when not properly used and cared for and also? Be sure to dispose of them as hazardous waste and don't simply throw them in the household garbage.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation