I didn't buy a SmartDrive, why does the email say I did?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: I didn't buy a SmartDrive, why does the email say I did?

I'm so glad I came here first to figure out what was going on.  Both myself and my business partner, both Rogers customers got the email too.  Glad it was just a glitch.  Sad that people who need real support with Rogers issues will be unable to call in easily as the support team has to dig themselves out of this mess.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @DeanD

Agreed. If Rogers sent another email out regarding this, the lines wouldn't be tied. Thankfully RogersShaun helped us here.
I Plan to Stick Around

ok thanks for the move of my post, the email startled me and I'm glad I came here to ease my concern that I was going to pay for something I didn't order and don't want.
I've Been Around

I have two inactive Rogers accounts (home and work) and both received this email. Glad I came here for answers.

Rogers should be sending another email explaining the error.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

hey guys!

Just got this email.

"Hello,

Last night you received an email regarding Rogers Smart Drive that was sent to you in error. Please be assured that no services or products have been activated without your permission.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused.
Sincerely,

Raj Doshi, EVP, Consumer Wireless"
I've Been Around

I also got this, looked into Rogers Smart Drive and found this on mobilesyrup.com

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/27/rogers-in-car-smart-drive-device-zte/

Here’s a quote from the above article: For example, the SIM and Wi-Fi inside make the device — and by extension, the car — trackable. It can pin where the car is parked, but even on the move, it can be tracked.

I hope, as several of the above customer service representatives (who, as they carefully state, are NOT associated with Rogers) have indicated, that it was an honest mistake. The corporations of this size don’t make mistakes like this unless, for one of the very few reasons.

• Massive incompetence.

• They can get marketing information about a “great new product” out to people who have unsubscribed to receiving these types of Emails. It’s the; “sorry...but since you’re here, have a look at this…” marketing tactic.

• They made a “calculated mistake” somewhere in a recent regular software update; some (obtrusive) code was loaded into your phone. You did not have the option to opt out, nor were you made aware of this particular part of the update. Legal freaked out about potential future legal repercussions coming their way, and this is a roundabout way of securing some type of notification justification.

• Or, Rogers wanted you to blindly click on a free app, that you don’t need, yet aids them exponentially, as the more people were blindly running it, the better their mobile hubs runs for this network.

Another quote from the mobilesyrup.com article: Unfortunately, there’s no way to remove the Rogers SIM and swap it for another, even if you own the device outright. It’s apparently locked to the network.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @LondonONwatcher

It was a error on their system. I see your point but you are thinking or this a bit to far. Mistakes happen and I'm pretty sure everyone makes mistakes no matter how small or big they are...

Apple has done it. Samsung has done it. Microsoft and Sony have done errors similar to this. It's a error which happens. When I worked at Best Buy they sent out errors similar to this once every 6 months.

They sent out this morning a email apologizing for this mistake.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have never received an email from them apologizing for what had occurred. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gogol

Everyone is getting at a different i noticed. I got it early this morning meanwhile my mother just got it.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

For info only. (17-11-07 ) There seems to have been a mix up somewhere. 

First I received this:

Now that you've received your Rogers Smart DriveTM device, we wanted to remind you how easy it is to start taking advantage of all its great features and benefits.

For more information on how to set up and use your device, check out this how-to video for some simple do-it-yourself steps:

Then this:

Hello,

Last night you received an email regarding Rogers Smart Drive that was sent to you in error. Please be assured that no services or products have been activated without your permission.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused.

Sincerely,

Raj Doshi, EVP, Consumer Wireless