cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't buy a SmartDrive, why does the email say I did?

brokencompany
I've been here awhile

I just received an email stating about this Smart Drive thing:

"Now that you've received your Rogers Smart DriveTM device.."

BUT, I didn't buy one, and I don't even have an active Rogers account (when I try to login to my profile it keeps asking me to associate it with a Rogers account).

Is this an error or did someone use my email address to sign up for service? 

**Added Labels**

48 REPLIES 48

Re: I didn't buy a SmartDrive, why does the email say I did?

titusda
I've been here awhile

Problem is a glitch is caused by 2 things, carelessness and/or negligence and people should be mad at getting this email.  If the system was able to send it out without checks and balances or a human did it.  The only people who never see this are the ones who make excuses by saying its just a glitch everyone has a glitch at some point.

So people should be ticked off at 3 things tonight #1 the negligence/carelessness that led to this email going out; #2 the fact that no-one has sent out a retraction email yet, if they can negligently send out a mass email to all their customers then they can send out a retraction just as easy... and #3 the fact rogers puckered up the brown hole and showed they have poor customer contact services by within minutes of the email going out having wait times of well over an hour at any number you called into and their e-contact folks disappeared.

I hope your reporter goes to town on rogers over this incident it will serve rogers well.

Hello Community,

We aware that some customers received an email regarding Rogers Smart Drive in error.

As you can imagine, we are experiencing a much higher than usual volume of calls and chats regarding this and we want you to know that you do not have to obtain confirmation from a representative. Rest assured that no product or service was added to your account. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

RogersShaun  

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @RogersShaun

Thank you for the reply back and communication!. 🙂

Other messages may have elicited less angst. This one sounded like we had a service added to our monthly pack (with a cost to be assumed) which we had not ordered. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Naftalim

One way of seeing if anything was added would be your MY Rogers account. Also you would have gotten a email saying you added a new service which would show the plan, pricing and any other information like.

I see your point but Rogers has not come forward and posted that it was a mistake on their end.

It may be a glitch, but it can also be mistaken for a phishing email. Not the first one I would have received thanks to Yahoo's negligence.

Rogers needs to send out an email to the customers who received the first email to clarify the situation. Otherwise Support agents are going to be swamped for a couple of days.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @kiteflier

Oh i agree. After the issues with Yahoo it's hard to trust anything at this point .

From what I have heard, they will be sending something out.

jbird
I plan to stick around

I just got an email from Rogers at an email address I've never used for Rogers thanking me for the receipt of the Smart Drive device.  This is the first I've heard of it and I certainly do not have any device from Rogers nor have I agreed to any device.  I was certain this was yet another email scam.  

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @jbird

As Rogers already posted, This was a mistake on their end. Everyone got it.

DeanD
I plan to stick around

I'm so glad I came here first to figure out what was going on.  Both myself and my business partner, both Rogers customers got the email too.  Glad it was just a glitch.  Sad that people who need real support with Rogers issues will be unable to call in easily as the support team has to dig themselves out of this mess.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @DeanD

Agreed. If Rogers sent another email out regarding this, the lines wouldn't be tied. Thankfully RogersShaun helped us here.

jbird
I plan to stick around
ok thanks for the move of my post, the email startled me and I'm glad I came here to ease my concern that I was going to pay for something I didn't order and don't want.

av_tiuk
I've been around

I have two inactive Rogers accounts (home and work) and both received this email. Glad I came here for answers.

Rogers should be sending another email explaining the error.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
hey guys!

Just got this email.

"Hello,

Last night you received an email regarding Rogers Smart Drive that was sent to you in error. Please be assured that no services or products have been activated without your permission.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused.
Sincerely,

Raj Doshi, EVP, Consumer Wireless"

I also got this, looked into Rogers Smart Drive and found this on mobilesyrup.com

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/27/rogers-in-car-smart-drive-device-zte/

Here’s a quote from the above article: For example, the SIM and Wi-Fi inside make the device — and by extension, the car — trackable. It can pin where the car is parked, but even on the move, it can be tracked.

I hope, as several of the above customer service representatives (who, as they carefully state, are NOT associated with Rogers) have indicated, that it was an honest mistake. The corporations of this size don’t make mistakes like this unless, for one of the very few reasons.

• Massive incompetence.

• They can get marketing information about a “great new product” out to people who have unsubscribed to receiving these types of Emails. It’s the; “sorry...but since you’re here, have a look at this…” marketing tactic.

• They made a “calculated mistake” somewhere in a recent regular software update; some (obtrusive) code was loaded into your phone. You did not have the option to opt out, nor were you made aware of this particular part of the update. Legal freaked out about potential future legal repercussions coming their way, and this is a roundabout way of securing some type of notification justification.

• Or, Rogers wanted you to blindly click on a free app, that you don’t need, yet aids them exponentially, as the more people were blindly running it, the better their mobile hubs runs for this network.

Another quote from the mobilesyrup.com article: Unfortunately, there’s no way to remove the Rogers SIM and swap it for another, even if you own the device outright. It’s apparently locked to the network.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @LondonONwatcher

It was a error on their system. I see your point but you are thinking or this a bit to far. Mistakes happen and I'm pretty sure everyone makes mistakes no matter how small or big they are...

Apple has done it. Samsung has done it. Microsoft and Sony have done errors similar to this. It's a error which happens. When I worked at Best Buy they sent out errors similar to this once every 6 months.

They sent out this morning a email apologizing for this mistake.

gogol
I plan to stick around

I have never received an email from them apologizing for what had occurred. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gogol

Everyone is getting at a different i noticed. I got it early this morning meanwhile my mother just got it.

User14
I'm a trusted contributor

For info only. (17-11-07 ) There seems to have been a mix up somewhere. 

First I received this:

Now that you've received your Rogers Smart DriveTM device, we wanted to remind you how easy it is to start taking advantage of all its great features and benefits.

For more information on how to set up and use your device, check out this how-to video for some simple do-it-yourself steps:

Then this:

Hello,

Last night you received an email regarding Rogers Smart Drive that was sent to you in error. Please be assured that no services or products have been activated without your permission.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused.

Sincerely,

Raj Doshi, EVP, Consumer Wireless

hemertwv
I've been here awhile

Rogers, come on, everyone can accept that you sent the email  in error, if you did, but why wouldn't you send out an email then telling everyone that the email was sent in error.  I spent over an hour waiting on hold trying to talk to someone, only to get disconnected, then I did a search and saw that you sent out a twitter message, I don't use twitter as do a large number of other people.  

Why would you email, then apologize on twitter, that doesn't make sense, I only came back to rogers recently because of an option for remote wifi and the package size, I left rogers because of this kind of stuff, bill screw ups every flipping month, having to have credits applied over and over again.  Now you waste my time because of a mistake email, and then don't even respond back in the same fashion, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think this was actually a marketing ploy, but it went wrong, this will cause me to reevaluate my use of rogers, I will start the search today to see if I can find another vendor that can provide the same or close service for a similar price, yes I will bite off my nose to spite my face.

The only way that I can punish Rogers for this kind of thing is with my money, I will do just that. Good bye.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @User14

Everyone got this email. Unfortunately it's a error on Rogers end.

Topic Stats