High prices for bandwidth with rocket hub

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

High prices for bandwidth with rocket hub

I have the rockethub 3g erickson version. That is my home internet service. I live rural in sw ontaio near London. I have been on an older data plan which I am hanging on to tightly because the prices have gone up. My plan 10 gig cap 60 bucks and $5 per gig for overages. I am ok with the speed and the service is reliable. What I am not ok with is the price and trust me if I could get anything else I would have. What I have noticed is that the difference in prices between my sevice and a wired service in london is so wildly higher It defies logic. For example my friend uses tech savy in London and for the same speed with a 300 gig cap pays around $32 or about a penny per gig.( From what I understand tech buys bulk bandwidth from Rogers) I pay $ 6 per gig or 600 times more for the same service. Conversations with rogers reps have all led to the same answer. Wireless internet ifrastructure cost more. OK I get that and I understand but 600 times more I am not buying it.

Rogers if you are out there reading these posts I would be happy to pay more for more bandwidth but lets be fair. I would actually get a great deal of value for something like $100 for 100 gig at the same 3-5 mbps speed and my neighbours would also appreciate it. Because right now at your current prices we are not getting value we are getting gouged.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: High prices for bandwidth with rocket hub

It's not just Rogers either.
All wireless providers of home based wireless have the same prices & low caps Smiley Sad

It's something that has to be seriously looked at for the whole industry. Hopefully as more and more stuff gets cracked down on the cellular end of stuff it will apply to this was well.

I'm an Advisor

@zbign1:

when I was a kid (many, many years ago!) my parents were relatively poor immigrants.  I can remember fantasizing at the time that if each Canadian (population then was about 15 million) gave me one thin dime, the cost to them would be mimimal, and I would receive $1.5 million.

Well Rogers is living my fantasy.  Every month.   They may not have all of today's Canadian population as "contributors" but they get a lot more than just one dime!

Until either we get a reasonable government/CRTC regulatory regime, or more competition in this area, things will not change.  The Canadian government talks a good line.  But effective action is thin on the ground!  And I'm not holding my breath on things changing any time soon.

Government talk is cheap.  But meanwhile the public is paying the price.

skinorth

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Few other services in your area.  Start.ca, isp.ca, falconnet.ca, bell.ca if your in middlesex county - rural internet.  As for Rogers you are talking to deaf ears.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Eddy. tried them all. Falcon not in my area. Start is but can't reach. Have also had eastlink out here 3 times as their technology changed. My neighbour 300 meters away from me has eastlink so I am just out of reach. I can only hope the spectrum  auction will provide me with other options.Unfortunately likely years away.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm in Chatham and have been using a hub as well.  Due to line of sight issues (I live in a forest basically), I have no other options other than cellular.  To be completely honest, Rogers has the best deal out there that i could find for cellular.  Telus/Bell will give you less bandwidth for a higher cost.  I can get 20Gb for $90 with Rogers.. the others can't seem to touch that price.. even when I talked to their 'retention' teams.  I actually have 2 Rogers hubs at home now for my family to use... $180 for 40Gb though is definitely ludicrious.. but what else can I do other than pay more with another carrier...

I've Been Around

I too have had a similar experience with rural service. I live in the middle of no-where and have to use a cell booster and 12' antenna to get internet service. I am limited to Xplornet or Rogers service and because of my location I would need to build a satt tower to get Xplornet which offers a 100GB plan for 10mbps for around the same price as rogers 20GB flex rate plan. I burnt through my 20GB of data half way through the month and called to say that I would have no choice but to build the tower and switch to Xplornet. Now I have been a great customer to rogers for 5+ years so was offered unlimited data for 4 months from a nice customer support lady. Now here's the really interesting part: Before I had unlimited data we were plagued by disconnects, We couldn't use more then one device at a time, couldn't stream Youtube in anything more then 144p (I didn't even realize 144p was a thing till I had this service). I couldn't play online games ect the list goes on and on bottom line is that Rogers was throttling my service so that I didn't burn through all my 20GB too fast. Now with the unlimited data everything is a little different. We started using Netflicks, I play online games, no more unstable connection. They have stopped throttling me and I have proof of this because I made a video showing how I wasn't able to use the service the way I needed to. Now I can. Its criminal that I pay for a service and get throttled to the point that the connection becomes unstable. Now before a rogers rep says we don't throttle connections I say I have proof. I changed nothing at my receiving end and as soon as I was given unlimited data I can use the internet like any other person. Needless to say in four months if I have to go back I'm switching to Xplornet. Rogers' network CAN handle the traffic but why offer it when they can sell a trickle for so much more. I'm not posting on my Rogers account for this reason because once they put me back on the trickle service this video is going to be front page Reddit.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Should contact CRTC as well.  I'm sure they would be interested in your findings.    

Rogers violating federal net neutrality rules, CRTC says - news flash

Here is some interesting reading about rural internet.  A body known as Western Ontario Warden's Caucus is actually doing something.  wowc . ca  gets you there.   Interesting post came out over a month ago that during their initial investigation they sent out requests to all known ISP providers for input and Rogers, Bell, Teles opted not to respond.   Wonder why ?