cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double public IP NAT anyone?

n2wq
I've been here awhile

I am trying to use port forwarding, but have a very strange problem. My cell router (Ericsson W35) reports that my public IP is 25.23.28.XYZ while whatsmyip reports 72.139.205.ABC. It appears that Rogers does some sort of NAT-in on the public IP side of the network.

Does this make any sense? Has anyone encountered this? Any idea how to go around it short of using VPN?

Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Double public IP NAT anyone?

RogersZia

Good evening and welcome to the Community @n2wq,

You've come to the right place! I'll tag some of our Resident Experts for their insight @Datalink @Gdkitty @gp-se.

Anyone else in the Community ever encountered something similar?

RogersZia

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The short answer is YES.

When using cellular internet, there is usually a cellular external IP address, and a rogers network IP address.

The main problem that the cellular address could change many times and easily, even if its in the same location if it choose to change towers, etc.

If you are really needing to do  port forwarding on cellular, you can pay for a STATIC address.

n2wq
I've been here awhile
I am not sure that static vs dynamic public IP has anything to do with multiple NATs. The IP that the W35 reports has not changed for the past 8 years I have used the service as the W35 is stationary at my cottage and has been nonstop on 8 years.

But let’s assume for a moment that getting a static IP is the solution. Has anyone encountered this situation and solved it by paying for a static IP?
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation