cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure DNS on ZTE MF275R Rocket Hub

DisConnected
I'm here a lot

Is there a way to configure a custom DNS provider (e.g. OpenDNS) on the ZTE MF275R? I was sure at one time I had done so and noticed that network devices that normally filtered undesirable sites were no longer doing so. Logged in to the Rocket Hub and was no longer able to find a place to setup custom DNS.

I know you can do so on end point devices that allow it, but going for centralized management in this scenario.

***Edited Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Configure DNS on ZTE MF275R Rocket Hub

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @DisConnected

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Have you checked your users manual?  If one has not been provided, here is a link to the PDF file, directly from the manufactorer.

Hopes this helps.

Regards,

RogersCilio

Yep, already searched the user manual - it doesn't answer my question. Hoping someone at Rogers is a Rocket Hub expert with a ZTE contact.

Hi @DisConnected,

Thank you for your patience I understand you're trying to configure a custom DNS provider in the ZTE MF275R rocket modem. The only related custom settings I'm seeing is under Settings > Connection Mode and place the dot in Manual to see if a custom server option appears.

ZTE Rocet Hub.jpg

Also depending on the device / client you can specify DNS usually by going into the TCP/IP properties on PCs and for wireless clients you need to change IP settings from DHCP to Static IP and then change DNS.

Regards,
RogersArthur

Hey Arthur - thanks for the suggestions but the "Manual" radio button on the WAN Connection Mode page is disabled (for me anyways) so I can't see what it exposes. As far as updating DNS on invidiual devices, that's an option I'm already aware of but a) it's less manageable than setting it at the router, and b) is easily circumvented.

Still hoping to solve this if anyone has suggestions.

You're welcome @DisConnected looks like this option is locked by the manufacture the only other suggestion is probably what you're trying to avoid which is going with connecting the ZTE rocket hub to another router and using the routers DNS settings.

Thanks, 

RogersArthur

Yep - looks that way unless I can either find updated firmware from ZTE or hack the page that has it locked. Will post an update here if successful. Thanks again.

ResOps
I've been here awhile

DisConnected I can change mine. Are you disconnecting on the home tab prior to this? Setting changes needs to be done offline.
hope this helps

Well that resolved the issue of not being able to switch between "Automatic" and "Manual" but it didn't expose any DNS settings I could adjust. Thanks anyways!

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Have the same issue 🙂

Nope! There are some downstream solutions you could check out though that redirect all DNS traffic (through ARP if you're that technical) to a destination of your preference. Depending on what problem you're trying to solve, it might be worth checking out Circle (meetcircle.com). Good luck!

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation