CRTC Wireless Code and Flex Rate Data Plans

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CRTC Wireless Code and Flex Rate Data Plans

According to the CRTC website:

The CRTC’s Wireless Code helps protect you from significant overage charges. The Code applies to all contracts for retail mobile wireless voice and data services providers and the businesses or individuals that pay for their services. Among other things, the Code helps ensure that consumers like you are aware of your rights and obligations when you sign a wireless services contract, so that you can avoid bill shock.

According to the simplified Wireless Code:

Regarding overage charges, the Code specifies that, when a customer’s data overage charges reach $50 in a single monthly billing cycle, the provider must suspend data overage charges once they reach $50, unless the account holder consents to paying additional charges.

For Flex Rate Heavy subscribers, this makes no sense.    The code assumes that we are on a $60 plan.      It means that every time we use more than 50 GB of data (the end of the $110 tier and start of the $145 tier), our service is suspended.    I don't consider moving through the tiers as data overage.    Data overage begins when you exceed 100 GB of data.  

The customer agent I spoke with in Moncton at 7 AM my time commented that I was her third caller so far with this problem.    She also advised me that Rogers was working on some sort of self-service option to address this issue.   She also noted that I would be calling Rogers technical support again next month.    

I would argue that the CTRC rule cited above should not apply to Flex Rate Heavy data plans.   As subscribers to this plan we agreed to the tiers and their fees.  

***EDITED LABELS***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CRTC Wireless Code and Flex Rate Data Plans

Additional information for my original post.  

The customer agent in Moncton advised me that I was her third caller with this problem since she came on duty ninety minutes earlier.    She also advised me that CRTC rules would not allow Rogers to opt out customers from this feature at their request.   

Again, I would argue that if this rule must be applied, then our Flex Rate Heavy plan should be considered a $145 plan rather than a $60 plan.  

While my service was suspended, I could still access servers on Rogers internal network.   

Hi @gwmacdonald!

I know this is a cause of frustration for you but our network automatically disables data in accordance to the Wireless Code.

Thank you for your feedback! Please bear with us while we work on the self-serve option to resolve this matter.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The main reason of the wireless code, was for cellphones..

And I think the cellular internet, gets hit as a byproduct.
It wasnt really thought about when the code was put through.

But because of what it is.. it needs to follow the code Smiley Sad

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Who defines   when a plan goes into overage   .... Rogers or the CRTC. 

I know nothing of the plan  but it certainly sounds  logical that unless you have exceeded the  PLAN's maximum how have you gone into overage  . 

It sounds like it is an issue of the plan maximum not being defined properly  not  about the code being applied.

I Plan to Stick Around

There is an easy fix for this, offer an unlimited plan like you do for cable internet! I do not understand why us Rocket Hub subscribers are stuck with a 100GB cap! Most of the people using this service do not have a choice, as this is the only viable option!!

@kampkandwrote:
There is an easy fix for this, offer an unlimited plan like you do for cable internet! I do not understand why us Rocket Hub subscribers are stuck with a 100GB cap! Most of the people using this service do not have a choice, as this is the only viable option!!

I got the impression @gwmacdonald was not overly concerned about the 100 gb  cap  ...the issue is with Rogers  shutting off their access at only half way  to that cap  for no apparent  reason other than botched  cap definition . 

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I’m aware of that, but my point is, if there was no cap to begin with, there would be no overages and therefore no need to shut the modem down.

@kampkandwrote:
Yes I’m aware of that, but my point is, if there was no cap to begin with, there would be no overages and therefore no need to shut the modem down.

Agreed ... that would fix it  ... I just figured the price point would be downright scary  if they did  though .

I Plan to Stick Around

This is true! But I find it odd that they can offer unlimited cable internet for around $100.
Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation