cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC Wireless Code and Flex Rate Data Plans

gwmacdonald
I plan to stick around

According to the CRTC website:

The CRTC’s Wireless Code helps protect you from significant overage charges. The Code applies to all contracts for retail mobile wireless voice and data services providers and the businesses or individuals that pay for their services. Among other things, the Code helps ensure that consumers like you are aware of your rights and obligations when you sign a wireless services contract, so that you can avoid bill shock.

According to the simplified Wireless Code:

Regarding overage charges, the Code specifies that, when a customer’s data overage charges reach $50 in a single monthly billing cycle, the provider must suspend data overage charges once they reach $50, unless the account holder consents to paying additional charges.

For Flex Rate Heavy subscribers, this makes no sense.    The code assumes that we are on a $60 plan.      It means that every time we use more than 50 GB of data (the end of the $110 tier and start of the $145 tier), our service is suspended.    I don't consider moving through the tiers as data overage.    Data overage begins when you exceed 100 GB of data.  

The customer agent I spoke with in Moncton at 7 AM my time commented that I was her third caller so far with this problem.    She also advised me that Rogers was working on some sort of self-service option to address this issue.   She also noted that I would be calling Rogers technical support again next month.    

I would argue that the CTRC rule cited above should not apply to Flex Rate Heavy data plans.   As subscribers to this plan we agreed to the tiers and their fees.  

***EDITED LABELS***

16 REPLIES 16

Re: CRTC Wireless Code and Flex Rate Data Plans

gwmacdonald
I plan to stick around

Additional information for my original post.  

The customer agent in Moncton advised me that I was her third caller with this problem since she came on duty ninety minutes earlier.    She also advised me that CRTC rules would not allow Rogers to opt out customers from this feature at their request.   

Again, I would argue that if this rule must be applied, then our Flex Rate Heavy plan should be considered a $145 plan rather than a $60 plan.  

While my service was suspended, I could still access servers on Rogers internal network.   

Hi @gwmacdonald!

I know this is a cause of frustration for you but our network automatically disables data in accordance to the Wireless Code.

Thank you for your feedback! Please bear with us while we work on the self-serve option to resolve this matter.

Regards,

RogersCorey

The main reason of the wireless code, was for cellphones..

And I think the cellular internet, gets hit as a byproduct.
It wasnt really thought about when the code was put through.

But because of what it is.. it needs to follow the code 😞

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

Who defines   when a plan goes into overage   .... Rogers or the CRTC. 

I know nothing of the plan  but it certainly sounds  logical that unless you have exceeded the  PLAN's maximum how have you gone into overage  . 

It sounds like it is an issue of the plan maximum not being defined properly  not  about the code being applied.

kampkand
I plan to stick around
There is an easy fix for this, offer an unlimited plan like you do for cable internet! I do not understand why us Rocket Hub subscribers are stuck with a 100GB cap! Most of the people using this service do not have a choice, as this is the only viable option!!

barndoor

@kampkandwrote:
There is an easy fix for this, offer an unlimited plan like you do for cable internet! I do not understand why us Rocket Hub subscribers are stuck with a 100GB cap! Most of the people using this service do not have a choice, as this is the only viable option!!

I got the impression @gwmacdonald was not overly concerned about the 100 gb  cap  ...the issue is with Rogers  shutting off their access at only half way  to that cap  for no apparent  reason other than botched  cap definition . 

kampkand
I plan to stick around
Yes I’m aware of that, but my point is, if there was no cap to begin with, there would be no overages and therefore no need to shut the modem down.

barndoor

@kampkandwrote:
Yes I’m aware of that, but my point is, if there was no cap to begin with, there would be no overages and therefore no need to shut the modem down.

Agreed ... that would fix it  ... I just figured the price point would be downright scary  if they did  though .

kampkand
I plan to stick around
This is true! But I find it odd that they can offer unlimited cable internet for around $100.

gwmacdonald
I plan to stick around

I'm receiving e-mail messages from The Rogers Community Forum Team urging me to indicate whether I have received the answer I need in this thread.    

This is a problem that Rogers created IMHO by a faulty implementation of the Wireless Code with respect to Mobile Internet Flex Rate plans.    A self-serve option that we have to invoke every billing period to prevent our service from being suspended as we transition from the $110 tier to the $145 tier is not the optimal solution.    Instead, as I have suggested earlier in this thread, if the Wireless Code must be applied to the Mobile Internet service, then the suspension should be applied at the $195 threshold ($145 plus $50) instead of the $110 threshold ($60 plus $50).  

The answer I need is that this thread has been brought to the attention of the Rogers staff responsible for implementing the Wireless Code and that the suspension threshold for the Flex Rate Heavy plan will be modified as I have suggested.  

kampkand
I plan to stick around
I agree with you! It used to be that way, but Rogers got rid of the flex heavy plan and brought out the fixed heavy plan that is $60, so the $50 overage applies to that.

So after we choose to carry on to our 100GB there is no more shutting down at the $195 mark!! They make more money this way!

cpp5
I plan to stick around

Also - see the thread titled "Re: Data overage consent for Rocket Hub"

.... more information and problems noted there!

barndoor

@kampkandwrote:
So after we choose to carry on to our 100GB there is no more shutting down at the $195 mark!! They make more money this way!

While I can understand Rogers being ok with that .... is   the  CRTC  ok with the ruling  being applied  in that manner ?  Smiley Sad 

kampkand
I plan to stick around
That’s a very good point! I guess we will have to contact the CRTC again!

barndoor

@kampkandwrote:
That’s a very good point! I guess we will have to contact the CRTC again!

It would appear that the ire should actually be directed at the CRTC ..   I looked up what seemed to be the code and   it would seem that it is indeed  the CRTC that is defining where  the shutdown is applied  and Rogers is indeed just following the rules . Smiley Sad

You would think, that like mentioned in the other thread ...a little more customer oriented service or warning  from  Rogers would not be misplaced,  they are not the main instigators of the issue this time .

ljbca
I've been here awhile

totally agree, it should cut off at  110 GB , not 50 GB!

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation