xbox one and internet keep getting disconnected

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

xbox one and internet keep getting disconnected

My son keeps getting kicked out when he plays with his friends. Last night 4 times in a row. I just spoked to Rogers support and they told me that they could not help me. I am trying to find out which Rogers modem is the best to get. We currently have the CGN3 in bridge mode with a linksys router. We have the ports open on the router yet he continues to have issues. I asked technical support what is the best internet package to get for gaming and Steve told me that he did not know. He told me to ask sales if I wanted a new internet package. Yesterday Amanda in sales told me to contact technical support!!!!

I am ready to give up on Rogers as it seems that they can not help me

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: xbox one and internet keep getting disconnected

@kingpin5 can you:

1.  Have a look at the product sticker at the back of the modem and let me know which one it is.  It should be one of: CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552.

2.  Log into the modem by using a pc or laptop that is connected to the Linksys router.  Use 192.168.100.1 as the web address to bring up the modem's login page.  That address will allow you to log into the modem thru the router.  Please let me know what Software Version (Firmware) is loaded, as indicated on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem.

3. While you are logged in, please navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might be worth having a look at.

4.  Let me know how the XBox is connecting, via ethernet or via wifi?  Depending on what the answer is, that could change what areas to look at.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi the modem is in bridge mode and we use a linksys router. My son feels that it is the modem. Is there a modem that is better for gaming on xbox one?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

sorry it is a CGN2

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Okay, I'm not sure that the 192.168.100.1 address will work with the CGN2.  You might have to reset the modem back into Gateway mode by running a factory reset, grab the downstream and upstream data to post, and then flip the modem back into Bridge mode once again. 

Is the XBox connected via ethernet or wifi?  If that is via wifi, is that via 2.4 or 5 Ghz network?

What internet plan are you currently on, in terms of download / upload rates?

Are you having any problems with any other internet connected device or with any other Rogers services such as Cable TV or Home Phone?

What model of Linksys router are you using?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN2 and ethernet cable. Sometimes he can go an hour without getting kicked off. He thinks we need a better modem

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

we are on an old plan 80GB express. I am looking at the ignite 60 plan but don't want to invest in it if I am still going to have connectivity issues

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

and no our home phone and 3 computers work fine it is just this xbox one

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

linksys 2500 router

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not willing to bite the bullet yet on getting a different modem.  It is possible that you might be able to step up in terms of modem models without any additional cost depending on your internet plan.  The CGN2 runs fewer download channels, but, it will also probably have the least amount of latency thru the modem when compared to the CGN3 series modems that are used by Rogers.  What you have now might be fine depending on your internet plan and on the signal levels.  I'd like to rule out the possibility of signal levels issues first.  The follow on to that is to download and use pingplotter to look for instances of packetloss between the modem and the CMTS to which it connects.  If there is some issue between the modem and the CMTS, changing the modem will not solve that situation. 

Edit:  Just looking around for your plan, it looks like its 25Mb/s down, 2 Mb/s up.  If thats the correct plan, I think that it might be possible to exceed that 2Mb/s upload if there are other internet demands taking place at the same time that the XBox is running.  If thats the case, you should be able to set the QOS (Quality of Service) setting in the E2500 so that the XBox takes precedence, or takes the majority of bandwidth.  Of course, you might not be pleased with the results for anything else, so, that might be a consideration in terms of stepping up to a higher plan.  It would be worth looking at the QOS setting in the router.   You might also want to ensure that the router has the latest firmware loaded, and if there is a more recent version, you should probably install that recent version. 

Can you run an ethernet connected speedtest with a pc or laptop, using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Telus or Beanfield server. Please post that result.

My guess is, if I have your internet plan correct, that you might be able to step up to a new plan for about the same cost.  It all depends on whether or not you have anything bundled along with the internet plan.  @Gdkitty is more in tune with the plans and plan costs than I am, so, hopefully he can provide some advice on this.