xbox one and internet keep getting disconnected

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: xbox one and internet keep getting disconnected

linksys 2500 router if it is signal level issues how would that be resolved?
I Plan to Stick Around

okay I have to get to work now but when I come home I will log in and get you that information. Thank you for answering me. I got nowhere with Rogers directly

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problem, please see my remarks that I added to my last post, in the "Edit" section.  The signal levels issues, if there are any are a process to identify them, if they exist, and get tech support to have a look in order to dispatch a tech.  The tech should be able to resolve any cable or connector issues.  That could be done simply by calling tech support and requesting the CSR to run a signal check on your modem and to look for any noise as well.  If there are any bad problems with the signal levels, that check will fail automatically and the CSR will arrange for a tech visit at your convenience.   Seeing where they are in a post will also let me know if there are any issues afoot. 

I Plan to Stick Around

speedtest

ping 10ms

23.75 download and 2.19 upload

So if I understand you correctly it is possible that he gets kicked off due to the fact that we have competing devices if we are all on computers phones etc at the same time he is gaming

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its one of those hard to say things.

Without seeing the Signal levels, as Datalink asked about, we cant rule out any other problems.

As Datalink mentioned.. its possible, if your doing a lot of other stuff at the same time, that the internet may be choking, and causing the disconects.

As for comparing plans..
Your currently paying about $62+ /month? (based on older pricing.. the base price may have gone up, thats including modem rental)
The closest even equivelent, would be the ignite 30.  It would only be slightly faster, but would be going up from 2 to 5mbps upload.  Which may make a difference. (a choked out upload can kill an internet completely).

For a little more, you could jump up to the ignite 60.  Big advantage there is it goes up to the 10mbps upload then as well.
BOTH of these, included in the price, are the rental costs of the newer modem (cgn3 or cgn3acsmr).

(now, you possibly wont need the linkys installed... the wireless on these units are about on par with the linksys.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you Kitty I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the ignite 60 plan and see if that helps us. If it does not then I will jump back on the forum for more guidance. Have a good day

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not necessarily being deliberately kicked off by the router or modem.  Its probably a case of there being enough of a delay between the XBox and server, caused by competing modem demands, that results in the server saying, "Ok his XBox is beyond the normal response time", and as a result he's dropped by the Microsoft Server.  This is speculation of course.  You could probably confirm this by considering what else is running at the time, other gaming, video streaming from youtube or Netflix, etc., other downloads...   Try an experiment by stopping other activity and see what effect that has.  It may not be the download rate that is the problem, more likely the upload as there is a response required for TCP/IP data packets to indicate that the packet has been received.  So, with enough running throughout the home, its possible to exceed the upload capacity.  But, as I was indicating, you might be able to resolve that with the QOS setting in the router, assigning priorities or specific bandwidth to applications or devices.

Edit:  If you are going to step up in terms of the internet plan, look very carefully at the overall cost as any bundle that you have going now will be lost in the process, so, you might end up paying more than intended when you include everything.  Look for a similar bundle deal if you happen to have bundled pricing at the moment. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kingpin5, if you do decide to upgrade in terms of your internet plan, the ideal solution would be to upgrade the plan and keep using the CGN2 for now if that is possible.  The Hitron CGN3 series modems and the gigabit CGNM-3552 have latency thru the modem which Rogers is addressing at the present time with Hitron.  Hopefully in a few short weeks, the latency thru these modems will be a thing of the past.  Rogers is pursuing this issue in order to resolve it as soon as possible.  The CGN2 will be a different chipset and won't suffer from the latency that is seen on the CGN3 and higher series modems.  So, in terms of gaming, you would see less latency with the CGN2, which I'm sure your son will appreciate. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink I can not thank you enough for all of your help. Last night I updated to Ignite 60 with the CGNM-3552. I did not see your last post in time re latency issues. However so far so good. My son played last night and did not get kicked off Xbox. Hopefully this is the end of this issue but until I see him play for a few days I am not 100% sure.

We are a simple family re the internet. We do not stream etc and until the Xbox One came into the house all was good. Never had an issue with Xbox360. I would like to keep this thread open a few days if possible just until I see a few days of gaming without disconnection issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kingpin5, seems that it always starts the same way, "Mom, Dad, I need more speed!!"  Don't Cha get it?

Here's a few items to check.  

1.  Log into the modem and have a look at the Software Version (Firmware).  I suspect that it will probably be V4.5.8.19.  When you log into the modem, the STATUS page is displayed, which shows that information along with the modem specific data.

2.  Navigate to the STATUS ... DOCSIS WAN page and confirm that you have 32 Downstream channels running (count them to confirm that there are 32 physical channels), or navigate to the DOCSIS Events log and look for the sequence: CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:XX:XX:XX.  If you have 32 channels running or see that sequence in the log, that indicates that the modem is connected to a Casa Systems CMTS.  

The combination of the Hitron router, specifically in your case, the CGNM-3552 running V4.5.8.19 with the Casa Systems CMTS can result in dead LAN ports.  A modem restart can solve that temporarily, at least until the next dead LAN port event.  That situation has been rectified in newer firmware versions.  With the CGN3ACSMR that firmware update has been done network wide with V4.5.8.22.  The same has not happened with the CGNM-3552 due to the firmware changes that are currently taking place to move past 4.5.8.22 and resolve the latency thru the modem as well.  However, you can request that version which will resolve the dead LAN port issue and issues with Chromecast connectivity if you happened to be using the modem only.  To do that, when you are logged into the forum, have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message.  The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem.  The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

When you are logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaid on your personal icon at the upper right hand corner of the web page.  Select the icon, which serves as a link and follow the envelope icon to navigate to the mail boxes.  One of the mods will most likely send you an acknowledgement before the firmware will be loaded.  I'll have to check on the acknowledgement as 4.5.8.22 was previously a trial version.  Maybe now that is distributed network wide for the CGN3ACSMRs, it no longer requires an acknowledgment for loading on the CGNM-3552?  In any event, the request will place your modem on the trials update list, and as a result your modem will be updated with the next version firmware during the trials phase.    That trials version undergoes testing prior to wider release to the trials group in order to ensure that its stable, so, I don't expect you to run into any issues with it.  I'm running the next trials version now on a CGNM-3552 (in Bridge mode) and don't have any issues with it.

When you see that the modem has been updated to V4.5.8.22, run a Factory reset to ensure that the update is complete and that you have access to IPv6.  The instructions for that are included below.

The recent updates have resulted in a secondary hidden SSID wifi beacon running on the 2.4 Ghz network side of the house.  I don't remember if that applies to the 5 Ghz if only the 5 Ghz wifi was running.  This is a very recent issue, and appears to cause a drop in the performance of the 2.4 Ghz wifi network in terms of range.  This might not be an issue for you if you happen to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own E2500 once again.  

If you are using the CGNM-3552s wifi, you could turn off the 2.4 Ghz wifi on the modem and configure the router to run as an Access Point to run a 2.4 Ghz network only.  Then, you would be able to use the modem's 5 Ghz network and its 802.11ac capability at the same time.  So, that is food for thought, depending on how you have your network configured.  

To switch the modem to Bridge mode, with a direct connection to the modem, use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 to bring up the modem's log in page.  Log in and navigate to the BASIC....GATEWAY FUNCTION page.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function and save the settings.  The modem will then reboot into Bridge mode.  You will require your E2500 to run your network, as you had previously set up.

To switch the modem back into Gateway mode, you can either run a Factory reset by holding in the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then releasing it, or, with the modem in Bridge mode and the E2500 running, log into the modem, thru the router by using 191.168.100.1.  Navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION page and enable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the settings and the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode.  The difference in the two methods is the settings of the modem.  The Factory reset will wipe out all existing settings and reset them to default values.  This can also be run from the ADMIN ....DEVICE RESET page.  Reenabling the Residential Gateway Function will reboot the modem back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.  

To look for that hidden beacon, and look at the wider wifi environment around you, you can load inSSIDer onto a laptop or wifi capable pc.  If its loaded on a dual band device, it will show both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  This is the last freebie version so it doesn't show the newer 5 Ghz 802.11ac networks that might be running nearby.  The recent licenced version does and it can be used on a normal 802.11n laptop or pc as it monitors the wifi management frames and presents the appropriate data.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Here is a link to the CGN3 user manual, which is close enough to the CGN3XXX and CGNM-3552 modems that its still usefull to use.

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

That should do it for now.  If anything else comes up, don't hesitate ask.