wireless network name+"-guest" broadcast

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

wireless network name+"-guest" broadcast

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. A rogers tech got wireless on the router enabled, so I can see the network name. However, there is a connection, which is the network name and "-public" on the end, which is not encrypted. Can anyone nearby use this connection, and theoretically hog the bandwidth?

Is there anywhere on the Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway to take this public broadcast off.

Thanks very much

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: wireless network name+"-guest" broadcast

Hello Simonko86.

Yes when its public, anyone can use your Internet and hog the bandwidth and run it up. In order to change it, you need to log into the the management panel and change it.

At this point you can reach the Gateway management page at http://192.168.0.1/ 

User name admin
Common default passwords
Admin
Changeme
Password
Gateway
Or use admin user and blank pw

I could be wrong but searching Google & doing mine, this is how it works. Maybe someone else may know.

Hope this helps.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Once wireless access has been enabled on the DPC3825 the default password would not work. You should login to your gateway using the following credentials:

Address: 192.168.0.1

User Name: cusadmin

Password: should be the same as the password to your wireless network

Once you login and see Cisco gateway management web page navigate to wireless and turn any guest networks off. Ensure your wireless network has security enabled.

To further protect your wireless network you are encouraged to enable and use MAC address filtering, so only your pre-defined wireless devices can use your network.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

SOme routers/gateways, can have multiple IDs broadcast, and ways to connect.

While you still might have your regular connection, a 'guest' connection can be turned on as well.  This one, is much like you will get if you get on wifi at a resturant or hotel.  There is no security on the connection iteself, but will often require one entered on a webpage before allowing internet access,etc

By following the above instructions, you should be able to go in and turn it off.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the information everyone.

Currently, I'm on the wireless tab of the Cisco DPC3825 router gateway.  I can't seem to find the removal section of the guest settings. Can anyone help for this final part?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That I know of, here is no setting for this on the 3825.

Your regular wireless name there, doesn't show it called guest there?

You don't have a 3rd party router connected at all?

I've Been Here Awhile

It shows a secured network, and an unsecured network. The unsecured has the same name but with '-guest' as the suffix

I Plan to Stick Around

Is the guest access really unsecured? If you connect to it can you do anything without first having to open a browser and enter a password?

I don't know how your modem/router works, but on my Cisco (Linksys) E4200 router, I have enabled guest access with a password. This option shows up in the main tab when I go to my router admin page.

Anyone in range sees two possible connections: "MyNetworkName", which shows as secured, as well as "MyNetworkName -Guest", which shows as UNsecured but which requires connecting guests to open a browser and enter a password before they can use it.

I set a different password for each connection.

I hope this helps, somehow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That what i was saying.. unless you have some WIERD firmware version of the cisco gateway, there is no 'guest' option for this hardware.

Are you sure there i no other router connected at your place? (or that this unsecured is not someone elses?)

I Plan to Stick Around

in order to disable the "guest" SSID on the Cisco DPC3825 you need to use the USB key and run the Cisco Connect software. There is a option within the application that says "Guest Access" within you can turn it on or off, change how many guest users can connect to the guest SSID and even change the guest password.

the other way to turn if off is to do a factory reset on the modem, then use 192.168.0.1 login to reconfig the wireless network.

The Guest SSID is not password protected so any device can connect to it but as soon as that devices tries to access the internet it will prompt for a password which is specific to only the guest SSID, once the password is entered the MAC ID of the device is sorta registered on the modem and that devices will be "allowed" internet access.

The "guest SSID" will not work on some devices such as a xbox or PS3, it will connect but will not have internet access nor will a popup come up asking to enter a password.