cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb storage on CGN3

Deepashri
I've been here awhile

I want to use my 1TB extrenal harddrive as a network storage.

When i connect the HDD to the USB on the CGN3ACSMR modem, it appears on the admin/usbstorage page.

I am able to connect to it and move data around.

When I restart the computer the drive cant be seen anymore.

I have to unplug the HDD and plug it back in again.

Everytime i switch on the computer I have to unplug and plug the HDD back to use it as a network storage.

I want to be able to see the HDD all the time without unplugging and plugging it back.

How do i do it.

***Edited Labels***

59 REPLIES 59

Re: usb storage on CGN3

The Hitron modems don't support USB3 flash drives.  They do support USB2 drives.  Intel has to issue a firmware update to support USB 3.0.   It also looks like the modems don't support or recognize NTFS formated drives.  Then support FAT 16 and 32(?).  They also support linux formats apparently. If you wanted to reformat a drive to an ext2 or 3 format, here's a link to a freebie application to do that:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Anson800
I've been here awhile

Hi Datalink,

My USB  extent drive is USB 2 with NTFS format.  Has anyone connected USB 2 with NTFS format to hitron CODA-4582

Thanks

BigJug
I'm a reliable contributor

Thanks Datalink.  My flash drive was a USB2 type drive, and it was recognized easily. I do not have any USB3 devices, so I cannot test if that works.  The PORT on the back of the modem is a USB3 port, but I'll take datalinks word that its not activated.

As far as NTFS, I have not been able to get my 1TB drive to work.  I don't know if smaller drives will work, but looks like its just easier to format it in EXT2/3

If you have a small flash drive kicking around, try formatting that in various formats to see what works.  I suspect that FAT 16 and 32 should work as well as ext 2 and 3.  I'd try a small flash drive first before taking the painful route of formatting a big drive.  After you format the drive and connect it, check to see if you have full read/write access from a windows pc/laptop or mac.

I don't think its a matter of the port being activated for USB3 ops, more likely a lack of support in the firmware, in terms of drivers and supporting files.

BigJug

I did connect a FAT32 flash drive, and it recognized immediately, and I had full read/write access.

I didn't get into the EXT3 format as it seemed like a bit of work to do for no real payoff.  I have a Linksys router downstream acting as an access point, and I can connect the same drive (formatted as NTFS) and it was able to recognize immediately and easily, with full read/write. I have the drive currently connected and mapped through the file explorer.

I just don't like mix-matching different things, as sometimes they don't play nice with each other. My concern is all my PCs are NTFS, and then I format another drive in EXT3, then suddenly they don't want to talk to eachother in case I need to connect the drive direct to my pc.

That NTFS drive is connected to your Linksys router correct?  Just want to be sure.  And if you connect it to the modem, in NTFS format, no recognition of the drive?   

BigJug

That would be an affirmative

Same drive: Seagate 1TB (also tried a Toshiba 1TB - both are ntfs) installed in an external enclosure, connected with a USB cable to my Linksys EA9200 router and it fires right up. Accessible throughout my entire network.  Shows up perfectly within the routers GUI. I've had it connected for about 2 weeks now, and read/write is fine... haven't had any issues at all.. un-sure of speeds though... I'm not in a big rush, but some files seem to transfer a bit slow, I have NO IDEA if this is the normal or not... but like I said, I'm in no rush, so I just let it do its thing in the background, and the transfer usually completes on its own with no issues.

Same drive, connected with the same cable to the CODA, and nada. No activity, no lights, no connection, no nothing. 

VivienM
I'm an advisor

Even if it worked, I would be very very very hesitant to trust any of the Hitron gateways with an NTFS volume. I'd go further and say that I'd be hesitant to trust any Linux-based embedded system (including any routers from anybody else) with NTFS drives...

NTFS is big and scary. MacOS X, to this day, does not AFAIK support NTFS writes without a third party driver. And I would trust Apple's QA department over Hitron's, especially on such a non-critical part of the gateway software...

BS
I'm a senior advisor

This is the challenge:  NFTS - Windows standard - windows OS, operating system - to make it work on any other system requires additional translation software built into the OS, or the firmware in terms of the gateway.

Personally I am now leaning towards I would not currently trust a Hitron Modem as a NAS drive source - in particular the CODA - just not ready.

NTFS is actually big and scary it builds in a high degree of permissions and securities that are tied to users and administrator rights - works well on Windows, what it was designed for.

I have always been Windows, dabbled in Linux, and never mixed drive formats between operating systems - I let the network protocols do that.

Theoretically, there is no reason why the firmware can't be designed to handle different USB and network drives, and OS format, but they can be kind of finicky, and keep in mind, NAS is intended to stay in one spot, not be moved back and forth, so you want the format on the drives that matches the OS in the router - but as we know, the functionality in the firmware in the Hitron is not fully active, in particular CODA.  A work in progress.

I gave up and will go back to my old desktop as my NAS, connected beside the gateway.  I really do have to get around to replacing my old router.Smiley LOL  Would solve a lot of Hitron issues for me.

Bruce

saigol92
I've been here awhile

Hello everyone I need some help in setting up my usb network drive on the Rogers Modem. (Model Name: CODA-4582U). So here is the problem I am having with my external drive that I connect to the Rogers modem. When I connect my drive to the modem I go to my router page and then Admin - USB Storage and I see my external drive appear there. I copy the address and try to in a file browser and I'm unable to open it as I get the Windows cannot find error, Please help me in try to fixing this error. I can see all my usb's and hard drive appear on my router page, I just cannot open them. 

file://192.168.0.1/diska1. 

@saigol92 are you trying to connect a USB 2 or USB 3 drive?  The modem does not support USB3 devices and won't provide the necessary support until Intel provides the required firmware changes. 

saigol92
I've been here awhile

Its usb 3 device, but even my old USB thumb drive are not working but they show up on it network. I had it working last year with my usb 3 seagate 2tb hdd. But i just cannot map the network drive anymore.

@Datalink wrote:

@saigol92 are you trying to connect a USB 2 or USB 3 drive?  The modem does not support USB3 devices and won't provide the necessary support until Intel provides the required firmware changes. 

@saigol92 wrote:

Hello everyone I need some help in setting up my usb network drive on the Rogers Modem. (Model Name: CODA-4582U). So here is the problem I am having with my external drive that I connect to the Rogers modem. When I connect my drive to the modem I go to my router page and then Admin - USB Storage and I see my external drive appear there. I copy the address and try to in a file browser and I'm unable to open it as I get the Windows cannot find error, Please help me in try to fixing this error. I can see all my usb's and hard drive appear on my router page, I just cannot open them. 

file://192.168.0.1/diska1. 

Using that link you said above wont work 

Give \\192.168.0.1\diska1

a try

gelldev
I've been here awhile

I just upswitched to this later modem and found two usb holes on the back. I plugged in a 2TB usb drive and no joy on my windows 10 box (but on the Linux Ubuntu box, which found the new NTFS drive no problem).  So, why would Windows 10 not find it?  Could not add a network location or access via file explorer or a browser. but the admin panel was available, and I could see the drive was enabled.  And linux could see it, so it is a samba share, probably.  No post anywhere on the forum seems to address this. But I did find out that Window 10 disables samba by default, so I went to Windows Features on turned on Samba  (SMB) rogersCapture.PNGand voila, works.

@gelldev Samba 1 is no longer secure and should not be used.  It is disabled by Microsoft, but  unfortunately Microsoft has left the option to reenable this.  Have a look at the following technet page from technet.microsoft.com:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

gelldev
I've been here awhile

and yet WD recommends turning it on.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20736/~/how-to-enable-smb-1.0%2Fcifs-file-sharing-su...

These guys (MS, WD, etc) really need to get an act together.

And, Rogers could rent us modems that don't have security holes in them.   Remember, the SMB share works fine on a Ubuntu box, without modification.

gelldev
I've been here awhile

I am not interested in a flame war.  Is it possible to use the USB holes safely on this modem rented by Rogers or not?

As far as I'm aware, the modem only supports USB2 devices.  USB3 wasn't included in the linux builds until last year from what I've seen, so, will it ever be incorporated into existing modems?  Thats a good question.  I wouldn't wait for that to happen.  So, I suspect that you'll find the USB ports on the modem limited to USB2 with restrictive formating as well.  Have you read thru the thread from the first post.  I suspect that your post was moved to this thread, so, you might be able to find the information that you're looking for contained within the thread.  

I think that most users move to a NAS arrangement instead of fighting with the modem.  

As for Samba 1, yup, all of the companies should get their act together.  At this point, if you're using Samba 1, be aware that its no longer secure, despite any company advising users to enable it in order to use their product.  The sensible solution is for that company to issue an update with Samba 2 or greater enabled and usable.  

Topic Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 13 in conversation