usb storage on CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: usb storage on CGN3

@BigJug, very interesting.  Yet another piece of the puzzle.  Do you happen to know if the drive was a USB, USB2, or USB3 flash drive?  Just wondering.  As for the modem being picky, yup, I don't doubt that at all.

Have a look at the drive format chart in the following link.  FAT 16 and 32, and ext2  have legacy support on Ubuntu.  NTFS requires a driver to support that drive type.  ext3 is supported. So, speculation on my part, maybe the driver isn't loaded on the 4582?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxFilesystemsExplained

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers hitron CODA-4582 router cannot find USB external hard drive

I have ODA-4582 router and connect USB external hard drive to it, but the router cannot find the USB external hard driveRogers_USB.PNG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Hitron modems don't support USB3 flash drives.  They do support USB2 drives.  Intel has to issue a firmware update to support USB 3.0.   It also looks like the modems don't support or recognize NTFS formated drives.  Then support FAT 16 and 32(?).  They also support linux formats apparently. If you wanted to reformat a drive to an ext2 or 3 format, here's a link to a freebie application to do that:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Datalink,

My USB  extent drive is USB 2 with NTFS format.  Has anyone connected USB 2 with NTFS format to hitron CODA-4582

Thanks

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks Datalink.  My flash drive was a USB2 type drive, and it was recognized easily. I do not have any USB3 devices, so I cannot test if that works.  The PORT on the back of the modem is a USB3 port, but I'll take datalinks word that its not activated.

As far as NTFS, I have not been able to get my 1TB drive to work.  I don't know if smaller drives will work, but looks like its just easier to format it in EXT2/3

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have a small flash drive kicking around, try formatting that in various formats to see what works.  I suspect that FAT 16 and 32 should work as well as ext 2 and 3.  I'd try a small flash drive first before taking the painful route of formatting a big drive.  After you format the drive and connect it, check to see if you have full read/write access from a windows pc/laptop or mac.

I don't think its a matter of the port being activated for USB3 ops, more likely a lack of support in the firmware, in terms of drivers and supporting files.

I did connect a FAT32 flash drive, and it recognized immediately, and I had full read/write access.

I didn't get into the EXT3 format as it seemed like a bit of work to do for no real payoff.  I have a Linksys router downstream acting as an access point, and I can connect the same drive (formatted as NTFS) and it was able to recognize immediately and easily, with full read/write. I have the drive currently connected and mapped through the file explorer.

I just don't like mix-matching different things, as sometimes they don't play nice with each other. My concern is all my PCs are NTFS, and then I format another drive in EXT3, then suddenly they don't want to talk to eachother in case I need to connect the drive direct to my pc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That NTFS drive is connected to your Linksys router correct?  Just want to be sure.  And if you connect it to the modem, in NTFS format, no recognition of the drive?   

That would be an affirmative

Same drive: Seagate 1TB (also tried a Toshiba 1TB - both are ntfs) installed in an external enclosure, connected with a USB cable to my Linksys EA9200 router and it fires right up. Accessible throughout my entire network.  Shows up perfectly within the routers GUI. I've had it connected for about 2 weeks now, and read/write is fine... haven't had any issues at all.. un-sure of speeds though... I'm not in a big rush, but some files seem to transfer a bit slow, I have NO IDEA if this is the normal or not... but like I said, I'm in no rush, so I just let it do its thing in the background, and the transfer usually completes on its own with no issues.

Same drive, connected with the same cable to the CODA, and nada. No activity, no lights, no connection, no nothing. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even if it worked, I would be very very very hesitant to trust any of the Hitron gateways with an NTFS volume. I'd go further and say that I'd be hesitant to trust any Linux-based embedded system (including any routers from anybody else) with NTFS drives...

NTFS is big and scary. MacOS X, to this day, does not AFAIK support NTFS writes without a third party driver. And I would trust Apple's QA department over Hitron's, especially on such a non-critical part of the gateway software...