slow wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: slow wifi

My wifi is always glitchy, can't reach certain rooms in the house... tried calling Rogers and they say that after they do their tests, everything seems fine.. But it's really frustrating when the wifi doesn't work. I have the Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem with the Rogers Ignite Gigabit - UNLTD plan. When I tried calling about the wifi not working, Rogers rep suggested that I buy a wifi extender. However, how does that help me if the wifi itself is not even working in the same room as the modem? Also, why am I spending more money on something that should already be working fine? What other options do I have? Can I ask for a rogers technician to come to the house to check?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ruoweifang can you have a look at the post from @deechezaray and my response to it is here

You might have some challenges in terms of wifi coverage in your own home that might be ultimately solved by buying a router with external antenna, but, I'd look at the settings for your wifi networks and at the wifi environment in order to see what your wifi networks are competing with for clear channel space. 

Personal opinion, wifi issues are best handled by the end user with some assistance from others.  A little help and knowledge can go a long way when it comes to resolving persistent wifi problems.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi I'm having a hard time to connect with my Wi-Fi nothing is working my phone and the internet

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and looking at your wifi environment to determine the best wifi channels to use:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

Hopefully the info in the post will provide the necessary assistance.  Let us know if you're still having issues with your wifi. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok but when I check my Wi-Fi it said strong and I'm connect but I can't play game or go on Facebook. Or get email.
But I need to turn off my WiFi and put my data. And I can go play or check email.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Blanchard77 wrote:

Ok but when I check my Wi-Fi it said strong and I'm connect but I can't play game or go on Facebook. Or get email.
But I need to turn off my WiFi and put my data. And I can go play or check email.

@Blanchard77

Is your home phone and cable tv working? If they are then try the following with the modem:

Try a wired device connected to the modem and see if that works. If nothing works , then I suggest you unplug the modem for 10 seconds then plug it back in and allow it to boot up.

If all else fails then call Rogers tech support and have them check the signal and see what's going on.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok I don't have home phone.yes my cable working everything work except my Wi-Fi it so weird
I've Been Around

WiFi Upload/Download speed

Hi Guys new here. So I recently got Rogers service internet and cable installed a month ago. I have the unlimited high-speed 1G package for my internet. However I find my WiFi being extremely slow. Upon doing the speed test using Rogers app my download speed on 5G shows 165mbps and upload shows under 20mbps. This explains why I was not able to upload Facebook or Instagram app when on WiFi however on my data I had no issue running these apps. I have opened up a service ticket with Rogers who confirmed that is a very slow speed for a 1G package... Anyone here have any insights as what to expect? Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

Exact same position with glitchy wifi over last few months. Long story short after many CSR conversations and tech visits where connectors were changed in the house and at box with no improvement, I asked Rogers to come move my Hitron modem from basement office (where they have been for years without problem) to main floor family room where all the wifi stuff happens.  Result is outstanding 100-200Mbps  on 2.4 and 5G. Should have done this months ago and saved myself and Rogers a lot of aggravation. Tech who did the modem move ( he spent 10 min putting a splitter on my cable box coax; signal on cable box coax was so strong they had put  a filter on it in the past so splitter was no prob). 

Was ready to move to new ISP after CSR said my devices were old and I should not expect to get as strong a signal as in the past (oldest was 2 IPads 2-3 yrs old!) and that I should go to BestBuy and buy a wifi extender or get the new Rogers mash system! Glad I gave it one last try, last Rogers tech said the reason stuff worked seamlessly in the past is that people used to have only a few wifi devices in house but now with all smart devices connected (I have 8 wifi atm), the wifi sytem both home and in immediate area gets overloaded and glitches become more frequent esp at 2.4G band (I could not use 5G band due to weak range signal).

Now I have everything I can on 5G, and even the 2.4G stuff is >100Mbps. Rogers CSRs need to factor modem position/relocation into resolving frequent/recurring difficult to resolve wifi complaints. Original position (1980s) based on being beside desktop computer in home office may no longer be the right config for 2018 wifi environment. 

I'm Here A Lot

Wifi speed drops dramatically at night

Someone help please!

We cut the cable and went with Apple TV and an android box for streaming movies etc. I have a modem bridged to the Cintron modem and have spent a lot of money on a new hardware and every night when we want to watch a movie of something in my bedroom on the second floor the signal dies. It's lightning fast during the day but is absolute garbage at night. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Forgot to mention that we have ignite 250