slow wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: slow wifi

Was this resolved?  We are having the exact same problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its hard as there really isnt a 'resolution' you can have for this toipc..

The wifi itself on these units, is not GREAT..say compared to the more expensive wireless routers you can buy 3rd party..BUT you need to pay a premium to get that quality/ranges.

Each persons scenario may be different as well.
-Location of the router

-House construction

-Nearby of other devices (microwave, portable phones)

-Nearby of other wireless routers (especially prelivent in an appartment/townhouse setting)

These all can effect the speed and wireless quality.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I've gone through it with Rogers tech support.  This is definately one of the problems for us:.

-Nearby of other wireless routers (especially prelivent in an appartment/townhouse setting)

Even if the router is next to the device that is being used, it still lags.

My husband is ready to call it a day and go with Bell Fibe Internet.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're getting good performance out of the modem, in terms of ethernet data rates, going to Bell Fibe or any other ISP which uses an all-in-one modem isn't going to help as the wifi performance of those boxes are probably the same no matter who supplies them.  Have a look at the following post which is similar to the problems you are experiencing.  Hopefully it will answer some questions:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/305...

If you're having problems with the modem itself, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels, which might be of interest.  If there are cable issues, they can be a pain to sort out when it comes to apartments, condos, highrises etc.  That is due to the Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) that is used  in the building sometimes instead of a connection to an external neighborhood node.  The signal levels will say a lot if there are any issues going on. 

Edit:  corrected to read:  "are probably the same no matter....."

I've Been Here Awhile

Good to know.  Thanks.  I'll have a look at the post.  

I've Been Around

I am having a plan with 30 mb download and 5 mb upload speed. Internet speed with direct connection on one of my laptop is normal (around 30 mbs). But speed on WIFI is extremely slow even next to the modem (Tested on several devices, all got less than 1mbs speed). Customer service from Rogers said the problem is due to wifi signal interference. Any help on the issue? Would a wifi extender be helpful?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A wifi extender might help, but, my advice is to buy a good router with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports.  That would probably be a better solution than a wifi extender. 

Here is some food for thought. Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application. When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands. In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in, so, I'm not surprised that you're having problems. Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel. After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there is any 2.4 Ghz channel that is clear enough that it might work with the present modem. Never know unless you have a look, using something such as inSSIDer. The program link below is for the last freebie version. A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop. The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band. Its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the networks that are nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks. Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel. So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours. When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network. Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition. By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can. If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, look at channels 149 and higher. If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates.

Fwiw, the Hitron modem does not support beamforming, which is part of the 802.11ac spec. That allows the modem/router to aim a focused signal towards the laptop/device, etc, etc. The result is better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates at the device. The RT-AC68U as an example, now replaced by the RT-AC68P supports implicit and explicit beamforming, meaning that the router can determine on its own where the device is and focus a directed wavefront in the device's direction (implicit), or, in conjunction with the device, direct a focused wavefront toward the device (explicit). Here's a link that provides some explanation:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2061907/all-about-beamforming-the-faster-wi-fi-you-didnt-know-you-nee...

The other part of this is the actual device itself, or, more importantly, the wifi card. We've run into far too many examples of new, really nice laptops that are well thought out except for the cheap wifi card that was included. End result, much disappointment at the wifi performance. The way to determine that, for a laptop, is to drill down into the Device Manager, grab the wifi adapter model name and number from the Device Manager display and run a search for the manufacturers data. A 1x1, meaning a single antenna for transmit and receive will limit your data rates. A 2x2 meaning 2 antenna is normal but not guaranteed. This or better yet, 3x3 will provide better data rates. If you run a search you will also come across posts regarding difficulties that other users might be running into with that card, so it may give you a better idea of what you can do to improve the wifi performance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ryan25 wrote:

Customer service from Rogers said the problem is due to wifi signal interference. Any help on the issue? Would a wifi extender be helpful?

No... in fact, the way wifi extenders work, they'll likely make things worse. 

My view:

1) Download something like inSSIDer to see how many other wifi networks are around.

2) To some extent, you can improve things with a higher-powered router/access point (e.g. the RT-AC68U) than the Rogers gateways. 

3) One other option is to move as much of your traffic as possible to the less congested 5GHz band... assuming, of course, that your client devices support 5GHz. (If your client devices have lousy wifi, that doesn't help)

I Plan to Stick Around

High speed internet problem

Hi I'm having a problem with my internet i experience slow downs randomly range randomly gets smaller I've contacted Rogers and all they said was its just wifi

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  Those are the RG-6 cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might be of interest.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text components of the tables, so you don't have to grab a screen image and insert that. 

On the wifi side, can you have a read thru my post #47 above and load inSSIDer onto your laptop or pc to have a look at the wifi environment.  If you want to insert an image of that into the thread it would help to see whats on the wifi side of the modem.  If you use Microsoft Paint to paste in the image so that you can save it and insert that into the thread, you can use MS Paint to paint over your MAC address prior to saving and posting. 

With both of those on hand, cable and wifi data, we'll have a much better idea of what the problem might be.