slow wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: slow wifi

@CarolS51 wrote:

it is an 802.11b/g/n i guess i was hoping for faster internet on wifi! the speeds are the same as before i upgraded to the new Ignite plan i had 500gb Extreme, not sure what the speeds were for that plan, but im still getting the same

Can you give us a bit more detail than '802.11b/g/n'?

That being said, the fact that it doesn't say '802.11a/b/g/n' is indicative of a single-band card, which is not encouraging.

Ultimately, though, here's how I see it: the 100/250 Rogers plans are, quite frankly, faster than 90% of the wifi gear out there. If you are running 2.4GHz-only hardware, you will not see those speeds over wifi. If you want fast wifi, you need to be using 5GHz, either dual/triple-stream 802.11n or, even better, 802.11ac. But 95+% of non-Apple consumer-grade hardware doesn't support 5GHz...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't 100% say the vivienm

I am currently running a fairly basic 2.4ghz Intel N card in my laptop.
I am able to get About 97mbps on speed tests with it.

Big difference is as well, that I am running my own N66U as an AP.
I think a good portion of it is the wifi end on the CGN3 as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CarolS51, we're going to need more information in order for us to provide any assistance.  First question is what modem do you have, CGN3 or CGN3ACR?  Second question, can you navigate to Control Panel....Devices....Network Adapters.  When you are there please copy the model of adapters that are listed and type or paste them into this thread.  When we know the modem model and wifi card model, we should be able to come up with a reasonable approach to the problem.  Fwiw, I don't think I ever saw anything more than 105 - 110 Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network from my CGN3, and that was at close range to the modem.

The other issue is the possibility of living in a busy wifi neighbourhood.  If you install a program like inSSIDer to look at that environment, you, or we should be able to determine how tough it will be to see higher data rates.  The link below is to the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  It will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, but it does not display the newer 802.11ac networks which run in the 5 Ghz band.  The network display will show both in list form and graphically, how many other routers are running nearby and from the graphical display, it is possible to determine if there are better channels to be operating on that might yield higher data rates.  If your laptop is 5 Ghz capable, you should notice a significant difference in the number of 2.4 Ghz networks running versus the number of 5 Ghz networks running.  That might give you some idea that the 5 Ghz band is a better place to be operating.  If you load the application, take a screen shot of the network display and post it somewhere that we can have a look at it, we can tell you how easy or difficult it might be to switch channels.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Here is a link to the new version which has since become a pay version.  For $20 U.S., if you run networks in the 5 Ghz band, its worth buying.

http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:
I wouldn't 100% say the vivienm

I am currently running a fairly basic 2.4ghz Intel N card in my laptop.
I am able to get About 97mbps on speed tests with it.

Big difference is as well, that I am running my own N66U as an AP.
I think a good portion of it is the wifi end on the CGN3 as well.

How dense an environment are you in? i.e. apartment, townhouse, big spread-out single-family house, etc?

And yes, I agree, the N66U is going to be better than the CGN3. In all fairness, I've never done serious speedtesting on 2.4 using the AC68U, maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you everyone for helping! im not very good with computers..so everything you mentioned and numbers, i have no clue what that all means!

i am using the CGN3 Modem and my Network Adapters are Broadcom NetLink (TM) gigabit Ethernet and Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

I will download what you mentioned and see if i can add the screenshot! Thanks so much for your help

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Take your time, and if we say something that you don't understand, please let us know so that we can provide a better explanation.  Take it slow and don't get flustered by the details...  There are a good number of people here who can help  Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CarolS51 wrote:

Thank you everyone for helping! im not very good with computers..so everything you mentioned and numbers, i have no clue what that all means!

i am using the CGN3 Modem and my Network Adapters are Broadcom NetLink (TM) gigabit Ethernet and Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

I will download what you mentioned and see if i can add the screenshot! Thanks so much for your help

I'm looking at the specs for the RTL8188CE (http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=272), which strikes me as a bargain-basement elcheapo joke of a card typical of what is found in consumer-grade Windows laptops or desktops.

This puzzles me:

"72.2Mbps receive PHY rate and 72.2Mbps transmit PHY rate using 20MHz bandwidth

• 150Mbps receive PHY rate and 150Mbps transmit PHY rate using 40MHz bandwidth"

Datalink, you understand this stuff better than me - does that mean the card, with a 20MHz channel, will only do 72 megabits?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, exaclty.  72.1 Mb/s with a single channel, and 150 Mb/s with two channels with the second channel running as the co-channel.  The wifi card only supports one antenna, so it is a single transmit, single receive, single data stream wifi card.

If you look at this chart, you can see, for the entries where the spacial streams equals 1, that data translates to what this wifi card can do.  Again, it is a single data stream device which can support one 20 Mhz wide data channel or two 20 Mhz wide data channels.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/1128i1B0D5B8474F8D75B

To run two channels, the wifi environment would have to be quiet enough that two channels could be used.  If not, the wifi card will only, and possibly always run a single 20 Mhz wide channel.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Thank you! I downloaded what you suggested and did a screen shot..only problem i have no idea how to put it on here for you to see! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Yes, exaclty.  72.1 Mb/s with a single channel, and 150 Mb/s with two channels with the second channel running as the co-channel.  The wifi card only supports one antenna, so it is a single transmit, single receive, single data stream wifi card.

So assuming a single channel setup (does anyone outside rural areas actually manage to usably run 40MHz-wide 2.4GHz?!), that would mean the theoretical max performance CarolS51 could get is 72 megabits/sec? which probably translates to a real-world 45-50ish?