cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow wifi

rileylycnh
I've Been Around

so i believe its been the past 4-5 months that i have been having a problem with my wifi. there are 3 people in my house that use the wifi at the same time and in december january and february there was really no problem at all with speed but i started noticing thing like being disconected from the interne while using wifi with my devices which are laptops and phones. now after being on the phone for an hour with a lady that had no idea what she was talking about kept getting me to check the internet speed which i couldnt because i couldnt be on the internet any longer then 3 mintes before my router would restart she then told me to reset it myself using the usb that the tech had left. after reseting my router the problem was fixed for about 2 weeks and all of our devices were back to disconecting because the router would reboot this problem has since then dissapeared with no explanation but we now have a new problem and that is extremely slow internet while using the wifi when i play online game mainly nhl14 and league of legend i experience extreme amounts of lag but when im connecte through an ethernet cable the lag goes away now i could obviouslyjust connect my laptop and ps3 to my router everytime i want to play but that just takes out of the convienence of being able to play wherever i want in my house i just want to know if there is any way to fix my wifi speed so i dont have to directly hook up to my touter everytime i want to do something.

***edited labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: slow wifi

KitKat6761
I've Been Here Awhile

Was this resolved?  We are having the exact same problem.

Its hard as there really isnt a 'resolution' you can have for this toipc..

The wifi itself on these units, is not GREAT..say compared to the more expensive wireless routers you can buy 3rd party..BUT you need to pay a premium to get that quality/ranges.

Each persons scenario may be different as well.
-Location of the router

-House construction

-Nearby of other devices (microwave, portable phones)

-Nearby of other wireless routers (especially prelivent in an appartment/townhouse setting)

These all can effect the speed and wireless quality.

KitKat6761
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I've gone through it with Rogers tech support.  This is definately one of the problems for us:.

-Nearby of other wireless routers (especially prelivent in an appartment/townhouse setting)

Even if the router is next to the device that is being used, it still lags.

My husband is ready to call it a day and go with Bell Fibe Internet.  

If you're getting good performance out of the modem, in terms of ethernet data rates, going to Bell Fibe or any other ISP which uses an all-in-one modem isn't going to help as the wifi performance of those boxes are probably the same no matter who supplies them.  Have a look at the following post which is similar to the problems you are experiencing.  Hopefully it will answer some questions:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/305...

If you're having problems with the modem itself, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels, which might be of interest.  If there are cable issues, they can be a pain to sort out when it comes to apartments, condos, highrises etc.  That is due to the Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) that is used  in the building sometimes instead of a connection to an external neighborhood node.  The signal levels will say a lot if there are any issues going on. 

Edit:  corrected to read:  "are probably the same no matter....."

KitKat6761
I've Been Here Awhile

Good to know.  Thanks.  I'll have a look at the post.